Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Brain Eating Amoeba  (Read 589 times)

Offline Christos

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Brain Eating Amoeba
« on: March 17, 2014, 05:24:04 AM »
I heard the story of the amoeba when it infected that girl last year or so, it didn't phase me then but i heard that it could be in tap water from a podcast i watched 10 or so days ago and since then ive been freaking out. Also i took a shower just an hour ago carefully keeping any water away from my face when i saw all the vapor the shower was producing and started freaking out. I live in a small part of north LA and we have our own water plant and ive never heard of anyone getting sick from it but i cant shake this question from my mind. can the water vapor carry the amoeba? and any advice on how to relax would help too, I've been getting really light headaches, nothing to where i think i have meningitis from having the amoeba or anything else in my brain, but they are bothering me.

Please and Thank you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 168
    • Poke This Member
Re: Brain Eating Amoeba
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 06:27:27 AM »
Plus you could also win the national lottery. But I bet you never think of that at all. You would more think of the worst thing. Chances of winning the lottery are probably far greater for you. This is the beauty of the news for you again. They pick up on such stories and scare the public with them. Just wait a few weeks. If you read that a thousand people have died from this same thing, then worry. But one case. Not worth worrying over. Buy a lottery ticket. More chance if winning that.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Ryze

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 08:09:06 AM »
Your stomach digests any bacteria from tap water. The only way you could get it would be through your nasal passages while swimming or using a neti-pot. Of the millions of people who use neti-pots only two in Louisiana have died from the bacteria and they are saying it's most likely due to swimming in the lake and not rinsing out their nose. Still most nasal rinse manufacturers recommend you use bottled or boiled water to kill any bacteria off. Unless you're snorting tap water, you've got nothing to worry about, and even then your chances are almost impossibly low.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Christos

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 08:27:18 AM »
thank you both, i've been trying to relax but you know, it's hard to.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Alphaba79

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Sick
    Sick
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 09:49:38 AM »
I hope this makes you feel better.

I am an aquatic biologist and used to survey for freshwater mussels regularly. I'm talking almost every day for 6 months. How did I survey for mussels? By snorkeling or free diving in freshwater. I did many many surveys in the state of Texas in particular, a state which has been known to have one of the highest number of cases of amoebic infection-related deaths in the country. So for 6 months, 6 days a week, I used to dive in warm, stagnant fresh water in Texas and yes getting water up my nose on a daily basis! Yet I am not dead! Since then I have not been doing mussel surveys much and my work is mostly above water now.

However I am just saying that I was at very high risk of contracting the infection, yet have not. You are not going to contract the amoebic infection from shower vapor. Think of how many showers you have taken in your life and remained healthy! If you want to irrigate your sinuses and put your mind at ease about neti pots and contaminated water, use a saline mist to irrigate instead. Arm and Hammer makes a nice one. It is a salt water solution and N. fowleri cannot survive in salt water.

Hope this helps to put your mind at ease!
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 01:01:22 PM »
Hi there!

I have been in your shoes. I used to (and sometimes still do) freak about about h. pylori (brain eating amoeba) all the time. And from the research I've read, there is almost no possibility of you contracting it. Also, I remember reading an article that almost all adults (I think they said something like 95%) have antibodies against this amoeba. This happens through exposure. They basically said that almost all of us have had exposure to this amoeba (usually through swallowing water with the amoeba in it) and our immune system attacked it and built up antibodies against it - much like when you get a vaccine. So even if you did get tap water (or shower vapor) up your nose with the infected amoeba in it, your immune system would take care of it right away. The reason why most of the amoeba attacks happen to children is because they have yet to be exposed to it. But like I said, the article I read said that 95% of adults have antibodies against it. Hope this helps.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 01:11:14 PM »
Are you regular lottery participant? More ppl have won lottery then been diagnosed with this ameba thingy, so if you think you can get it, go play lottery.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Alphaba79

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Sick
    Sick
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 01:26:48 PM »
Hi there!

I have been in your shoes. I used to (and sometimes still do) freak about about h. pylori (brain eating amoeba) all the time. And from the research I've read, there is almost no possibility of you contracting it. Also, I remember reading an article that almost all adults (I think they said something like 95%) have antibodies against this amoeba. This happens through exposure. They basically said that almost all of us have had exposure to this amoeba (usually through swallowing water with the amoeba in it) and our immune system attacked it and built up antibodies against it - much like when you get a vaccine. So even if you did get tap water (or shower vapor) up your nose with the infected amoeba in it, your immune system would take care of it right away. The reason why most of the amoeba attacks happen to children is because they have yet to be exposed to it. But like I said, the article I read said that 95% of adults have antibodies against it. Hope this helps.

As a biologist, I am extremely interested to read this article. Any chance you have the link to it?  ;D
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 05:36:42 PM »
Alpha: I sent you a private message with the websites. I didn't want to post them on here because I didn't want the original poster to draw fear from them.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Christos

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 08:33:42 AM »
I didnt know about the antibody thing and that helps a bit, as well as the fact that Alpha snorkeled in the water and didnt contract it.  Ive been trying to ease myself back to normal but it'll take a bit of time.
Bookmark and Share

Offline StoryOfMyLife

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 04:27:52 AM »
So, of course nothing normal can ever happen to me, and I find myself here at 3:15am because I can't sleep and am nauseous from anxiety thinking I was exposed to/am infected with a brain eating amoeba.

Last night while showering, I got some shampoo in my eyes. While trying to rinse it out, I tilted my head up. Apparently, I tilted it at just the right angle, because I felt one of the water jets from the shower hose forcefully spray the tap water water up my nose. It was very uncomfortable as i could feel it pushing past the narrowing in my nasal cavity and drip down my throat. As a gut reaction, I was then forced to "snort" the water to be able to spit it out.  So, most people can find comfort by knowing they didn't "forcefully inhale" the water they were exposed to...most times I've thought about naegleria fowleri, this has been my one comfort to bring me back to sanity. But this time I did "forcefully inhale" and the water was shot up my nose, although not by choice, really. And I am in Louisiana. :(

Also- just to lessen confusion, h. Pylori is a bacteria in the gut, not an amoeba. The amoeba is naegleria fowleri, and all the scientific names can get confusing. Just wondering if the article in immunity was for h. Pylori, the bacteria, which would make more sense, altough not to my comfort =\
Bookmark and Share

Tags: Ameoba Shower Steam Vapor