Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Xanax to Lexapro & Klonopin and a couple of questions...  (Read 1833 times)

Offline insights

• Rec's: 105
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Xanax to Lexapro & Klonopin and a couple of questions...
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2014, 06:15:26 PM »
I would really like to know someday, somehow there is light at the end of this tunnel.

For most there is. However, they need to be on the right train, and it seems the Lexapro Express isn't it for you. :(

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline comoso

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2014, 04:52:41 PM »
Agreed, Ian, I cut my dose in half today and guess what.???  No debilitating headache.  Moving on.  Hopefully zoloft does the trick.
Bookmark and Share

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2014, 10:24:52 PM »
OK, 2nd day on only 5 mg of lexapro and anxiety was markedly less today.  I know 5 mg isn't a therapeutic dose, but all
I care about is feeling better.  The doc gave me zoloft and I have them in my bathroom, but I'm sticking with 5 mg lexapro for awhile maybe that was all my system needed.  Any chance that's true?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2014, 12:52:42 AM »
I'm sticking with 5 mg lexapro for awhile maybe that was all my system needed.  Any chance that's true?

Not usually, but stranger things have happened.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2014, 07:38:55 PM »
Back up to 10 and back to a headache.  It's not terrible, but it's pretty strong.  I haven't taken anything for a headache since last Friday.  I'm just trying to bear down and deal with them.  My Pdoc gave me some Methocarbomal at 500 mg and told me they would help loosen my shoulder and neck tension.  Since I'm now a full fledged hypochondriac with this anxiety I figured I'd come here and get Ian's opinion.  Is it ok to take. 

I'm really starting to feel at almost 8 weeks that I'm starting to get some anxiety relief with the lexapro.  I'm really too scared to change meds.  I've been thinking about this "kick in" that people talk of and does it actually exist?  Is the kick in a full ledger bang I have no irrational anxiety or is it a subtle "Hey, I think this is helping now"...  I'm thinking it's usually the latter.  I did have high anxiety in one meeting at work today, but I worked through it and survived. 

I'm laying at home in bed now.  I have the muscle relaxer but I'm scared of anything new. 

I'm currently on

Rabeprazole
Lexapro 10 mg
Clonazepam .75 mg

Will the muscle relaxer help relieve my muscle tension in my neck and therefore the tension headaches I'm getting in the back of my head?  I talked to my psych over the phone about my headaches and me thinking I'm getting them from Lexapro.  He simply said, I wouldn't blame the lexapro near as much as the extreme anxiety disorder you're working through.  That made sense and I went back to 10.  Yesterday I took 5mg upon waking and 5mg at lunch.  Headache was definitely less yesterday.  Today I took the whole 10 in the am and now I'm down for the count with a throbber...
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2014, 08:30:54 PM »
Is it ok to take.

Yes, but you may see an increase in dizziness and drowsiness, so avoid driving, or participating in potentially dangerous activities until you see how it affects you. So no skydiving or bungey jumping.  :angry-smiley-034: Sorry!  :( And no booze. 

Is the kick in a full ledger bang I have no irrational anxiety or is it a subtle "Hey, I think this is helping now"...  I'm thinking it's usually the latter.  I did have high anxiety in one meeting at work today, but I worked through it and survived.

It can be either. For some it's an instant on, they go the bed anxious and wake to being at ease with the world. For others it's a gradual, barely noticeable from day to day, lessening in anxiety, which may include the odd setback.

Will the muscle relaxer help relieve my muscle tension in my neck and therefore the tension headaches I'm getting in the back of my head?

If your headaches are caused by anxiety triggered muscle tension then yes, it may help.

He simply said, I wouldn't blame the lexapro near as much as the extreme anxiety disorder you're working through.

If it methocarbomal stops the headaches then they are likely anxiety based, however, this doesn't necessarily mean it is the Lexapro if it doesn't. Methocarbomal might just not be effective enough on those muscles.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2014, 10:20:12 PM »
Thanks, Ian, you're a great help.  I took the muscle relaxer, not much relief.  I see the half life is like 1.5 hours so it's baby food...

I think I'll get an appointment at a chiropractor and see if they can help with the muscle tension.  My wife wants me to go get a massage too.  Never did that before, maybe that will ease some of the tension.
Bookmark and Share

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2014, 11:26:59 PM »
Holy smoke am I glad I stuck with Lexapro.  I've had 2 days anxiety free.  I think this stuff is going to help me get out of this mess.  I honestly feel I could just stop the klonopin now (don't worry, I'll wean) But, Thank the good Lord this stuff seems to be my miracle it was a rough 8 weeks getting going but today is 8 weeks to the day and I just completed working a 15 hour day and had no issues.  Unbelievable!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2014, 05:27:25 PM »
Another good day yesterday so I started my klonopin taper.  I took .25 at bed time instead of the .375.  Well, guess what...  Woke up at about 6 am with heart beating out of my chest and feared a panic attack was coming on.  Seriously a .125 cut?  I was having a dream that probably produced adrenaline so it could just be a coincidence, but I took .375 as my morning dose.  Do I go back to .375 tonight or stick at .25.  My plan was to go to .25 on nightly dose for a week and then .25 on am dose.  I'm 8 weeks into lexapro and feel it's starting to help with the anxiety, but I need off these benzos.  It's been 8.5 months and it's scaring me to death.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2014, 05:16:19 PM »
Woke up at about 6 am with heart beating out of my chest and feared a panic attack was coming on.  Seriously a .125 cut?  I was having a dream that probably produced adrenaline so it could just be a coincidence,

It probably wasn't the dose reduction, but more your dream and some anticipatory anxiety. Klonopin has a long half-life, up to 50 hours so significant withdrawal effects within 24 hours are unlikely.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2014, 08:09:18 AM »
OK, The hunt continues.  My psych changed me to zoloft after so many headaches that I just couldn't stand it.  The weird thing is when I was weaning off of lex and onto zoloft... 3 days of taking 5 mg lexapro and 6.25 mg zoloft were probably the best 3 days I've had in months.  I'm not completely on 25 mg zoloft and yesterday was pretty anxious and woke up anxious this morning.  Yesterday was my first day on just the zoloft.  I'm so tempted to take 5 mg lexapro today to see what happens.  BUT, I'll stick with my Dr.s plan.  25 mg zoloft until I see him again in 8 days...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Cold
    Cold
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2014, 05:31:17 PM »
I'm just curious, how on earth do you cut your pills?

6.25mg of Zoloft and .375 of klonopin? That's got to be frustrating comos.
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2014, 07:23:29 PM »
It is a little.  But it's not too bad.  I have a pill cutter.  The Klonopin is simple.  Break it in half and then the 1/2 of the pill that has a 13 on it, I bite between the 1 and the 3...lol  .375 like that in the morning and then .25 at bed time, simple 1/2 cut.

The zoloft, that one was tough, but luckily I only had to do the 6.25 for 3 days.  I went to 12.5 for a couple of days and felt fine so I jumped up to the full 25 a few days quicker than I was supposed to.  I felt increased anxiety today and yesterday.  I just left walmart and was pretty freaked out being in there.  I'm hoping the new increase in anxiety is short lived.

Tomorrow will be 1 week of taking zoloft but only 3 days on the 25 mg. 

I do have a new question.  I've stayed away from caffeine so much and prior to this I was quite the adrenaline junky.  I would easily consume 400-500 mg of caffeine every day and sometimes more.  I've now literally went to hardly no caffeine for 6 months after this started.  I'm wondering if I should start reintroducing caffeine.  I mean, I think a lot of this anxiety stuff is lack of confidence.  I no longer feel empowered like I can run through a wall the way I did when I was working out and always amped up.
Bookmark and Share

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2014, 11:47:56 PM »
Well, 2.5 weeks on Zoloft and I think it might be better for me than the lexapro.  I'm up to 50 mg the past 5 days.  25 at bed time and 25 in the morning.  Is it good to split the dose like that?  I'm wanting off the klonopin so bad, but I've taken benzos daily for 9 months since my anxiety was way out of control when this started.  Hoping zoloft just gets better and I can rid myself of the .125 at bed time and .5 in the am that I've been taking. 

.125 at bed time.  Do you think that's even doing anything?  Should I just try to drop that?  for starters...?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2014, 01:17:36 AM »
Well, 2.5 weeks on Zoloft and I think it might be better for me than the lexapro.  I'm up to 50 mg the past 5 days.  25 at bed time and 25 in the morning.  Is it good to split the dose like that?

It is actually the best way of taking Zoloft (and most other antidepressants), however, doctors tend to discourage it because compliance then becomes an issue. People hate taking meds and the more times a day they have to take them the less likely they are to stick with it.

I'm wanting off the klonopin so bad, but I've taken benzos daily for 9 months since my anxiety was way out of control when this started.  Hoping zoloft just gets better and I can rid myself of the .125 at bed time and .5 in the am that I've been taking. 

.125 at bed time.  Do you think that's even doing anything?  Should I just try to drop that?  for starters...?

I don't know whether the 0.125mg dose is doing anything, but there may still probably be a reaction if you stop taking it. IMHO, you should delay this until you are well stabilized on an effective dose of Zoloft which will probably take another couple of months, and then begin slowly weaning off the Klonopin.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Tags: