Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Xanax to Lexapro & Klonopin and a couple of questions...  (Read 1396 times)

Offline comoso

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Xanax to Lexapro & Klonopin and a couple of questions...
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2014, 05:34:44 PM »
Thanks again, Ian, I'm dealing with quite a bit of dizziness and I really have had battles with it since day 1 of this anxiety.  Will lexapro eventually help with all of the anxiety symptoms?  Will dizziness get better with it?  Is it further complicated by my benzo use\wean causing dizziness?

One other, my vision has definitely changed in the 8 months I've had high anxiety.  I can no longer wear my contacts as I can't read things within 2 feet of me with my prescription.  I use my glasses now and just take them off when reading.  Is this just a coincidence or is this an effect of meds and/or anxiety? 
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 90
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2014, 06:44:20 PM »
Thanks again, Ian, I'm dealing with quite a bit of dizziness and I really have had battles with it since day 1 of this anxiety.  Will lexapro eventually help with all of the anxiety symptoms?  Will dizziness get better with it?

Dizziness is a common anxiety symptom which should diminish as Lexapro kicks-in, but may worsen initially.

Is it further complicated by my benzo use\wean causing dizziness?

Possibly. The biggest problem with changing two meds at once is that you can never be sure which alteration is causing any problems that come up.

One other, my vision has definitely changed in the 8 months I've had high anxiety.  I can no longer wear my contacts as I can't read things within 2 feet of me with my prescription.  I use my glasses now and just take them off when reading.  Is this just a coincidence or is this an effect of meds and/or anxiety?

It can be an anxiety symptom. I'm not sure whether it has a direct impact on the eyes, or is due to a processing problem. Most of what we "see" is actually created in the brain, not direct data from the eyes. It takes the basic shapes relayed from the eyes and fills them in. Anxiety tends to overload some areas of the brain which may affect this. There is some anecdotal evidence that Omega-3/fish oil supplements may help, though it may take some months before there is a significant improvement.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 10:46:20 PM »
5.5 Weeks down and I had the worst headache of my life most of the day.  I've had severe depression for the past 3 days.  I'm worried about work tomorrow,  but I'll go and think as positive as possible. 

How long do I give this lexapro?  Should I just stay on a stable dose of klonopin and worry about cutting it after a few months on lexapro?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2014, 12:45:38 AM »
I've had severe depression for the past 3 days.

You should discuss this with your doctor as severe depression needs to be evaluated.

How long do I give this lexapro?

Up to 12 weeks, but if you're not getting some indication that it's doing something after 8 weeks then the dose may need to be increased.

Should I just stay on a stable dose of klonopin and worry about cutting it after a few months on lexapro?

In the long run it probably won't make any difference either way.

Ian

Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2014, 08:44:15 PM »
Called about depression was basically told not to worry and give it time.

Now, the past 2 days I've had the most extreme of headaches and my ears are constantly ringing.  Is it normal to have these new side effects nearly 6 weeks into lexapro?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2014, 11:09:03 PM »
Now, the past 2 days I've had the most extreme of headaches and my ears are constantly ringing.  Is it normal to have these new side effects nearly 6 weeks into lexapro?

Headaches are an infrequent Lexapro side-effect which may or may not diminish. The common pain killers should alleviate it, but acetaminophen, aka paracetamol, is preferable because it doesn't affect blood coagulation (most serotonergic antidepressants tend to slightly 'thin' the blood, so other blood thinners like ibuprofen are best avoided). If it continues then switching to Celexa (citalopram) may resolve the problem. Both it and Lexapro are the same active chemical, but because Celexa also contains a mostly inactive version of the drug there can be differences in the way they affect people.

Ringing of the ears (tinnitus) is another known side-effect, sometimes exacerbated by the notorious Lexapro yawn. Let your doctor know if it hasn't gone away in a couple of weeks.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2014, 07:02:25 PM »
6.5 weeks in and side effects and/or anxiety still pretty strong.  Dizziness, headaches, shortness of breath, ears ringing...

I went to doc and he pushed my lex up to 15mg per day.  I'm worried about taking it as I don't want to increase these headaches.  They're pretty tough to take.  I'm supposed to stay at the .75mg klonopin.  He talked about kicking it up, but I explained I have a pretty severe benzo phobia and I've already been on them WAY longer than I want to be. 

Ian, I've had a few good days.  Is the jump this early a mistake in your opinion or is it worth a try as my "good days" still consist of the side effects, just a better cognitive ability to deal with them?

Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2014, 07:50:05 PM »
Is the jump this early a mistake in your opinion or is it worth a try as my "good days" still consist of the side effects, just a better cognitive ability to deal with them?

I probably would have waited another week or two before considering it, but it's probably a moot point. The higher dose may hasten the kick-in. Whether this will worsen the side-effects is impossible to know. Unfortunately, this is one of those things that only trying it will determine. But there is probably a 50:50 chance that it won't.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2014, 04:32:04 PM »
Well, one night on the 15 mg was a disaster.  I slept very little and when I did had weird dreams that woke me up.  I had an even worse headache today and called the Dr. and he told me to stick with 10 and call him tomorrow.  He acted like it might be time to change because of all the headaches.  8 months and counting.  I will see relief from this stuff some day, right?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2014, 05:22:05 PM »
I will see relief from this stuff some day, right?

There's a very good chance that you will once you find the right 'stuff' for you. Unfortunately, on average it take 2-3 med changes to narrow it down.   :(

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2014, 05:30:13 PM »
Thanks, Ian, I guess I just need encouragement.  So far in this battle I've been on xanax for 6 months, tried Cymbalta for 1 week... Side effects were terrible.  Buspirone 3 days-mimicked a heart attack so bad at day 3 that the ER did a heart cath.  I made it 10 days on paxil and the shakes and electric shocks were so bad that I had to stop.  I was really hoping Lexapro was going to be it as I've taken it without side effects getting too bad until recently(nearly 7 weeks).  I actually had a day or two last week where I felt normal. 
The headache and ear ringing is just beyond anything I've ever experienced right now. 
I find myself laying here thinking cold turkey all of it, you won't die.  It will suck, but you've been handling suck for quite some time now...
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2014, 05:51:16 PM »
So far in this battle I've been on xanax for 6 months, tried Cymbalta for 1 week... Side effects were terrible.  Buspirone 3 days-mimicked a heart attack so bad at day 3 that the ER did a heart cath.  I made it 10 days on paxil and the shakes and electric shocks were so bad that I had to stop.  I was really hoping Lexapro was going to be it as I've taken it without side effects getting too bad until recently(nearly 7 weeks).

Given that history, my advice is to give up on the SSRIs and try one of the older tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs). Amitriptyline and desipramine would be a good initial choices. They come in 10mg starter tablets which means you're starting on a very low dose relative to their therapeutic dose of 75mg and could halve them if necessary though you probably won't need to. The TCAs tend to have less severe initial side-effects compared to the SSRIs anyway, but starting extra low should diminish them further. The bad news is that the TCAs tend to have more ongoing side-effects, particularly dry-mouth and constipation. These are manageable, but you need to be aware of them. They are likely to be less of a problem with desipramine than amitriptyline.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2014, 02:24:21 PM »
Well, Doc wants me to switch to Zoloft.  I asked him if he thought I should stick it out with lexapro a couple more weeks as today makes week 7 and he said if I could handle it.  He said he was sensitive to the fact that I'm suffering and wanted to try zoloft if I was willing.  I guess it's like flipping coins.  I do have severe headaches daily from lexapro and the ear ringing is going no where.  I just keep praying for this "kick in" that people talk of.  So, the plan for now is a couple more weeks on lexapro and pray for relief with it.  I'm still taking .375 klonipin morning and night.  I think that stuff is doing far more with my anxiety than the lexapro, but hoping to see that change.

Am I wasting 2 weeks?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2014, 05:13:07 PM »
Am I wasting 2 weeks?

I suspect so. If you're still having severe side-effects after 7 weeks then Lexapro isn't the right med for you and probably wouldn't be even if it was effective. Do you see yourself still putting up with the headaches in 6 months, a year from now?

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2014, 11:25:49 AM »
Well, I wish I'd have asked you that before the Dr phone call...lol

I woke up this morning and took my normal 10mg.  I'm in the 7th week and my ear ringing is just constant.  I would really think I should have been able to slow down on klonopin more if lex was going to be working.  At this point I'm thinking lex is my ear ringing and headache medication and I don't get much more out of it.  I'm keeping an open mind and hoping it will let up.  My headache is very slight this morning, but it is my day off and I've just laid in bed this morning so there isn't much stress.

Maybe I will make the jump to zoloft next week.  I would really like to know someday, somehow there is light at the end of this tunnel.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: