Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: My Recent Realization About Us, After A Phone Call With My Dad  (Read 281 times)

Offline AP151

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Stop just existing, live while you can!
    • Poke This Member
The other day in the midst of my ALS and MS fears, I called my dad who works in an intensive care unit. I reached out to him, and looked for the same reassurance we all search for on this forum. We began to discuss my symptoms and the incredibly scarce odds of me, or anyone for that matter actually having ALS or MS. He talked me off the ledge. Some of the things he said to me inspired me to write this for everyone on here.

"You are a hypochondriac, but why? What does this tell you about yourself? It means that you love this life and you do not want it to end. You are a thinker, many of the greatest and smartest people ever to live were thinkers, and many of the people in today's mental hospitals were thinkers, too. You have such a great brain, such a high mental capacity that you can do anything you want, or you can let it destroy you.

Listen, as much as it bothers you to know that you are mortal, you are not bulletproof, and one day you will pass on just as I and all of the rest of us will - it is so important that you don't live your life in fear of all of the things that could take you. One day, you just may be diagnosed with something terrible, what will you do then? Will you let it consume and destroy you? In life we all face adversity. For athletes, adversity can be a big injury, or a crucial moment late in the 4th quarter against your rival. For writers, rejection by a publisher of the novel they spent years writing and tweaking. For those of us who face anxiety, the adversity we face is easy to identify, but hard to overcome. We must take control. Would the quarterback of that team in the 4th quarter let his opponent defeat him and determine his fate? Would the author of that novel he or she worked on stop after being rejected once by a publisher? Should we let our anxiety control is and the things we do? Absolutely not.

Take control now, start LIVING again. Living a life in fear of death isn't living at all. Stop letting the super team of Dr. Google and Web M.D. put your life on hold.
Bookmark and Share
"To live is rarest thing in the world. Most just simply exist." - Oscar Wilde

"Don't take life so seriously, nobody makes it out alive anyway."

Offline anagargano

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: My Recent Realization About Us, After A Phone Call With My Dad
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 08:42:36 PM »
Great post!
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 09:10:55 PM »
Agreed.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline MLB2805

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 09:30:18 PM »
Great post, trying to get there!
Bookmark and Share
You don't have to control your thoughts. You just have to stop letting them control you.

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 09:49:09 PM »
Amen!!  The day I took control of my anxiety was one of the best days of my life.  That doesn't mean I don't have bad days every once in awhile but it feels so good to go through most days without anxiety constantly looming over me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 12:49:21 AM »
How though? How do you take control? I'm so desperate to return to normalcy, but I have no idea how to get there. That's the most frustrating part.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: