Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: A little reassurance please  (Read 107 times)

Offline chris1234

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
A little reassurance please
« on: March 16, 2014, 06:17:20 PM »
I have been putting it off but now i have to do something... I'm going to psychiatrist tomorrow for meds. I know they may not completely remove all of my anxiety and depression but will I atleast get some steady relief? Any advice on staying positive while waiting for results? I'm
Just scared that I will be one of those people that doesn't find any medication to work for me. If anyone has any reassuring comments or insightful information I
Appreciate it, I'm in a very bad place right now
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
Re: A little reassurance please
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 06:37:18 PM »
If you have never been placed on medications before the psych will screen you. the best thing you can do is be honest and tell him or her everything. more likely than not they will put you on an SSRI. if that is the case then expect at least 6 weeks to be effective. you will more likely be started at a low dose age and work up from there. about a week or two in expect some generalized anxiety spikes to set it  but you might be set on a half dosage to ease some of these effects. if you are heavily effected by anxiety and worried these effects will throw you for a loop, possibly suggest a short term fast acting benzodiazepine to accompany while the SSRI sets up. he might already put you one and will taper you off if needed. its always worth a shot. best luck to you. let us know how things pan out.
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline insights

• Rec's: 88
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 07:08:23 PM »
Just scared that I will be one of those people that doesn't find any medication to work for me.

There is a very high probability that one of the antidepressants will work for you, upwards of 70%. But if they don't the benzodiazepines almost certainly will, and the cognitive/behavioural/mindfulness therapies are very effective too.

The things to be aware of about antidepressants is that while no antidepressant is intrinsically better than the others, one probably will be for you and it may take a few med switches to find it; they typically take 3-12 weeks to kick-in; and they can make anxiety worse initially, so ask the psychiatrist to also prescribe a benzodiazepine to help you get through the rough spots. If s/he's a benzophobe then hydroxyzine, an antihistamine with anti anxiety properties, may provide enough relief.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline chris1234

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 07:25:22 PM »
Does having relatives who also have success with anti depressants make my outlook better also? Sorry I'm scared, and that hopeless/helpless feeling is terrible
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 88
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 07:55:13 PM »
Does having relatives who also have success with anti depressants make my outlook better also?

Yes, especially if they are first-degree relatives, i.e. parents or siblings.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: