Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Blood Tests...?  (Read 172 times)

Offline halesy

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
Blood Tests...?
« on: March 16, 2014, 11:47:55 AM »
Hi Everyone,

So i have a really crippling fear of cancer (at 20 years old... turning 21 next month)
The type of cancer i'm afraid of on any given day varies. My doctor knows how I am and is very sympathetic to my plight.
Here's my question:

I've had two blood tests done within the last month or so. One in the ER which was "Beautifully Normal", and one ordered by my doctor, which, again was "flawless". My doctor likes to reassure me that I don't have anything wrong with me because the blood tests were normal. However, is this conclusive?? I just don't feel like a blood test can really detect everything. And people who DO end up having cancer,  can it be detected with a blood test?? I just feel like people who get dx'd with a terminal disease find out they have it through a more specific test.

Does anyone have any insight/experience with this? Any and all is appreciated :) x
Bookmark and Share
“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Blood Tests...?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 11:54:11 AM »
Absolutely.  Usually if something is off, it will show in the CBS.  Additionally, there are specific tests that look for what is called tumor markers.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ryze

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 11:55:35 AM »
If anything is off or out of the ordinary it'll show up on a blood test. It's usually after that that they'll perform more specific tests.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 11:56:31 AM »
I guess it would depend on what kind of cancer - liver cancer your liver numbers would be off, kidney cancer your kidney numbers would be off and on and on - if it were some other kind that you don't get numbers for like stomach or colon then your white or red blood cells would be off - at that point they'd probably want to find out WHY the numbers are off and do further testing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline halesy

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 03:22:16 PM »
Thanks everyone! I guess my hypo mind just thinks about how some people go with their cancer undiagnosed/misdiagnosed and i wonder how that would be possible if their blood test shows abnormalities.... anyway i just have to trust my doctor!
Bookmark and Share
“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tags: