Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Very high blood pressure from anxiety?  (Read 731 times)

Offline psychopika

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Whatever doesn't kill you fucks you up mentally
    • Poke This Member
Very high blood pressure from anxiety?
« on: March 16, 2014, 09:45:37 AM »
I have constant very high anxiety and in the past 4 months it's been every single day, extremely high levels...

In November I started having occasional mild night sweating, in January I started having hot flashes when emotional or agitated and in February I've started to feel fatigued, dizzy, brain foggy, tense, headachey, unfocused...

Yesterday I was visiting some relatives and I took my blood pressure at their place. It was 147/87. That's very high considering my normal is around 110/70. I didn't feel particulary anxious but I felt tense and dizzy and unfocused. I often do in the last weeks.

Now I feel the same way, I very very tense and have a flickering feeling in my chest, my throat is so tight and my blood pressure is 150/90. Last Christmas when I checked it it was 105/70.

Now I'm even more afraid because of my BP, I'm thinking adrenal tumours and what not - but I did have an ultrasound in February and they checked my kidneys - so I suppose they would have seen an adrenal tumour there, right?

Can my chronic, long term high anxiety cause my blood pressure to rise like this? Can the high BP & anxiety cause my dizziness and headaches and brain fog? How about the hot flashes?

Adding: my thyroid levels are normal, more towards hypo but still in the normal range (my doc told me I'm absolutely fine so I'll take her word), I had full abdominal ultrasounds done in Nov & Feb, I had blood tests - CBC + iron + blood sugar + creatinine + uric acid done in Nov (perfect), had urine tests in Feb (perfect), had a cervical MRI done in Nov which also captured my hypothalamus and much of my brain (perfect).
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
Re: Very high blood pressure from anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 10:41:00 AM »
Anxiety WILL make your blood pressure rise.   OK get this:   I was on BP medication and run about 135/75.   One day I took it and it was (I'm going to give estimates) 156/90, I got a little upset so I took it again and it was 170/95...  I got even more upset, but figured well BP can't go up THAT fast.  So I took it again in 15 minutes 196/100...  by now I was starting to freak out, took it again in 5 minutes 200/109...   I was already feeling like I was going to pass out from worry, took it again in 5 minutes 226/111...  I then decided to go to the urgent care clinic!  (turns out it was worry and stress about my blood pressure that made it shoot up like that!) When I got home it was 136/80! 
High blood pressure causes no symptoms unless it is REALLY high (I didn't have any symptoms with 226/111 only from my horrible anxiety!).  I have your kind of readings quite frequently and I feel fantastic - so no, those symptoms are from your anxiety NOT your blood pressure.
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 11:11:45 AM »
All of the symptoms you can mentioned can be attributed to anxiety, yes.  Particularly if you are at a high rate of constant anxiety as you said. 

Are you doing anything to treat your anxiety?
Bookmark and Share

Offline psychopika

Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 12:50:24 PM »
Anxiety WILL make your blood pressure rise.   OK get this:   I was on BP medication and run about 135/75.   One day I took it and it was (I'm going to give estimates) 156/90, I got a little upset so I took it again and it was 170/95...  I got even more upset, but figured well BP can't go up THAT fast.  So I took it again in 15 minutes 196/100...  by now I was starting to freak out, took it again in 5 minutes 200/109...   I was already feeling like I was going to pass out from worry, took it again in 5 minutes 226/111...  I then decided to go to the urgent care clinic!  (turns out it was worry and stress about my blood pressure that made it shoot up like that!) When I got home it was 136/80! 
High blood pressure causes no symptoms unless it is REALLY high (I didn't have any symptoms with 226/111 only from my horrible anxiety!).  I have your kind of readings quite frequently and I feel fantastic - so no, those symptoms are from your anxiety NOT your blood pressure.

Lol that story is both funny and scary - it could easily be mine. That's why I didn't buy myself a blood pressure monitor because I know I would just go nuts with it and raise my BP by myself.

Lately (in the last 3-4 days) I've also had an annoying sharp pain in my right temple and behind my eye... it started after sitting in a weird position and then changing it. It only hurt when I was lying down and raised my head and lasted for a few minutes. Then I've had it again the next day for a few seconds when I was chewing. And again today after holding my head down for a few minutes and then raising it up. It lasted a few seconds. Each time it was less intense than the first time I got it,. Of course now I worry about having a tumour lol. I'm hopeless. I get solace from the fact that it seems LESS intense and it started suddenly. I assume this can be absolutely nothing and I'm just being paranoid?

I will try to relax more and not worry about my BP - every time I do I make it worse, just like you said.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 12:53:51 PM »
My internal medicine physician told me that BP monitors are not a good idea unless
there are recommended by your physician.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline psychopika

Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 12:54:38 PM »
All of the symptoms you can mentioned can be attributed to anxiety, yes.  Particularly if you are at a high rate of constant anxiety as you said. 

Are you doing anything to treat your anxiety?

I'm seeing a psychotherapist and I'm taking Lorazepam when I feel I can't handle my anxiety anymore. I don't want to take SSRIs, I just hate them worse than feeling like this :( When I feel I can't take it anymore maybe I will give them another chance...
Bookmark and Share

Offline psychopika

Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 12:59:05 PM »
My internal medicine physician told me that BP monitors are not a good idea unless
there are recommended by your physician.

Yes, I'll refrain from buying one and try to relax on my own. This MUST be the anxiety. I'm starting to wonder if I'll just kill meself from worrying alone, so sad.
Bookmark and Share

Offline psychopika

Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 01:01:30 PM »
Anyone has any idea about that sharp ache in my right temple that I described in my 2nd post? Any help appreciated...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 06:59:58 PM »
The sharp ache could be TMJ.  Especially when you mentioned it hurt when you chew.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lara71

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 10:30:04 PM »
My entire life my bp was 100/70. When I was having severe anxiety it went to 140/90. Then when I went on new meds it dropped back to 120/80.
Bookmark and Share

Offline psychopika

Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 05:52:18 AM »
The sharp ache could be TMJ.  Especially when you mentioned it hurt when you chew.

Oh that's a possibility. It usually feels inside the temple and behind the eye?
Bookmark and Share

Offline psychopika

Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 05:53:31 AM »
My entire life my bp was 100/70. When I was having severe anxiety it went to 140/90. Then when I went on new meds it dropped back to 120/80.

I guess it's anxiety in my case as well... it's so hard to relax lately.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 06:34:06 AM »

For many years I'd get what I'd call my "ear/eye" pain.  It would be in my right eye, temple and ear.   Not all at the same time but I'd feel boom boom in my eye, then boom boom in my temple, then in my ear, etc.   I told someone about it one time and they said, "Oh that's TMJ!"  Ever since then I just figure it's that.  The ONLY Pain reliever that helps is Bayer aspirin.  Advil or Tylenol don't touch it!   
Bookmark and Share

Offline psychopika

Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 07:08:45 AM »

For many years I'd get what I'd call my "ear/eye" pain.  It would be in my right eye, temple and ear.   Not all at the same time but I'd feel boom boom in my eye, then boom boom in my temple, then in my ear, etc.   I told someone about it one time and they said, "Oh that's TMJ!"  Ever since then I just figure it's that.  The ONLY Pain reliever that helps is Bayer aspirin.  Advil or Tylenol don't touch it!

Thank you so much! I think that's sounds just like what I have. It does seem like a mechanical pain - it's triggered mechanically, by my head position, muscle movement etc. Doesn't show up when I'm still & relaxed. Happily it never lasts (more than 1 minute or just a few seconds) so I didn't need to take medication, hope it'll fade away and not get worse.
Bookmark and Share

Offline clippergoodwill

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 11:47:42 AM »
My bp will be all over the place during my bad anxiety attacks. The 'norm' during my high anxiety moments is 140/90. I've had it shoot as high as 180/115. When I'm not experiencing anxiety it hovers around 115/30.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: