Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Making a med switch to zoloft  (Read 255 times)

Offline LynnC

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Making a med switch to zoloft
« on: March 16, 2014, 07:44:07 AM »
So I'm about to make a med switch from lexapro 10mg to zoloft. My doc has be on a slow taper of decreasing 2.5mg lexapro/starting 12.5mg zoloft and continuing this every 8-10 days. I've given the lex a fair shot of 4.5 months and although it has helped with my depression and anxiety, i just can't get rid of the headaches I seem to get about 15 days out if every month. The headaches spiral my mood down as well and I'm often left in the pit again for a few days after a string of them. I'm concerned about the transition process and how this will effect me. It's hard to think about putting everyone through that hell again-including myself of course-but I just can't live like this and always wondering how the day will be mood and headache wise. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 100
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Making a med switch to zoloft
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 04:56:35 PM »
I'm concerned about the transition process and how this will effect me.

Given its slow pace of the switch, you shouldn't have too many problems with side-effects, though the Lexapro headaches may continue for a few weeks.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline LynnC

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 08:43:39 PM »
Do you think this slow tapering schedule is the way to go? I know some people switch overnight but my pdoc thinks this way would be the best to introduce the zoloft into my system and titrate down off the lex. Any zoloft insight from what you've read or heard? I know there is no guarantee that the zoloft will cease the headaches but i really hope it will. I already can't sleep due to the introduction of the zoloft and I'd hate to start up the klonopin again.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 12:25:43 AM »
Do you think this slow tapering schedule is the way to go? I know some people switch overnight but my pdoc thinks this way would be the best to introduce the zoloft into my system and titrate down off the lex.

Most do fine with a straight switch, but it really comes down to what you're comfortable with.

I already can't sleep due to the introduction of the zoloft and I'd hate to start up the klonopin again.

Do you think the insomnia is from the Zoloft, or from being anxious about the switch?

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline LynnC

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 02:06:26 PM »
Question...per your best guess, what would be the equivant titration of lexapro to zoloft:
Lexapro 10mg = ____zoloft
Lexapro 7.5 =
Lexapro 5 =
Lexapro 2.5 =

I'm just trying to make sure my doc has me going up and down at a reasonable rate to avoid slipping. I know I needed to increase the lexapro due to my slips (they are bad and last for days)...I'm hoping more meds (zoloft at a slightly higher dose than lexapeo in the end) would prevent this from happening.

Insomnia - probably both meds and anxiety. My dreams were wacky last night on my first dose of zoloft. I imagine for the first few days I'll have more medicine in my system than normal since it takes a few days for lexapro to decrease to a true 7.5. Whereas zoloft would be at 12.5 right away on day 1.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 05:29:03 PM »
Question...per your best guess, what would be the equivant titration of lexapro to zoloft:

It is impossible to be precise as everyone reacts differently to the variou SSRIs, but 10mg Lexapro is roughly equivalent to 50mg Zoloft.

My dreams were wacky last night on my first dose of zoloft.

Antidepressants can induce very vivid dreams in some, or maybe cause you to remember dreams when you don't normally by slightly lightening how deep you go in REM sleep.

I imagine for the first few days I'll have more medicine in my system than normal since it takes a few days for lexapro to decrease to a true 7.5. Whereas zoloft would be at 12.5 right away on day 1.

It will also take a few days for plasma levels of the Zoloft to stabilize.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Tags: