Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Question about tooth infection  (Read 199 times)

Offline Xocnagem

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Energetic
    Energetic
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Question about tooth infection
« on: March 14, 2014, 09:15:17 PM »
I went to my doctor yesterday for what I thought was strep throat, turned out to be an infected tooth. I started my first dose of cephalexin 500 mg this morning, and took my second dose about 2 hours ago. This pain is so unbearable! I've been alternating Tylenol and Ibuprofen every 4 hours and was just told you can do every 2. Anyway, I can't get into my dentist until Tuesday and I feel like my face is getting a little swollen. I'm ready to run to the ER! And what point should I?!
Bookmark and Share
God wouldn't give you anything you couldn't handle!

Offline Xocnagem

Energetic
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Question about tooth infection
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 11:00:32 PM »
Now I'm freakimg myself out! I tried to go to bed and when I layed down I got chest pain!! I can't tell if it's chest pain or indigestion! Should I go to ER?! Please help!!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

• Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 09:23:00 PM »
I'm dealing with tooth pain, too.  It's horrible!

Try elevating your head when you lie down .  That should help.  Also a heating pad might, too.  Call your dentist if need be and ask for a pain med prescription.  If you started on antibiotics that should kick in and start fighting the infection which should make the pain subside.

I hope you feel better.  You're not alone.
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 19
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 12:21:06 AM »
That pain really sucks, I know... is there any swelling on your gums? Cause if so, you could try lancing and draining it. I had to do that once when it hurt everywhere in my jaw above that tooth. Once I got out of the stunned awe from seeing exactly how much pus can fit in such a small place, the pain relief was wonderful. I don't think Ive ever slept as well as I did that night.

you could try cold and hot compresses or oragel or the like but they probably won't help too much.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Xocnagem

Energetic
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 03:58:38 PM »
Thanks guys! I ended up popping the abbcess, then it popped on its own about 20 minutes and drained! Ive been on the antibiotics for 2 days and I can for sure feel the difference!! I've only taken ibuprofen twice today and that says a lot lol. Did you guys go to the dentist and get your tooth pulled or have a root canal? Im supposed to go Tuesday and I'm terrified!
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 04:08:04 PM »
Oh that pain.  It's the absolute worst!!  Glad you didn't go the ER, they really can't help beyond nod sympathetically and tell you to see a dentist.

Both times, I had that, they pulled the tooth.  I hate dentists so I feel your fear.
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

• Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 04:21:56 PM »
Go the root canal route!  Yes, it's more expensive but you want to do anything you can to save your own tooth.  Once it's gone.....it's gone and costly down the road for implants.

I have had four root canals done and will probably be facing a fifth soon.  They truly are not bad at all.  It's nothing worse than having a cavity filled.  They numb you and then it takes about 20/30 min or so.  Then you have your tooth and just get a crown put on it.  Technology has improved so much now that they've made it faster and virtually painless.

I'm just giving my advice because about 15 years ago, I went the cheap route and had two teeth pulled instead of root canaled.  Now that I'm older, I'm uncomfortable about how it might look if I smile too big AND I've noticed that my teeth are starting to move because of that empty space.

Give it a lot of thought.  If money is not an issue, keep your tooth.

Let us know how your appt goes.  I'm glad you're feeling some relief from the pain.
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 04:42:31 PM »
Thanks guys! I ended up popping the abbcess, then it popped on its own about 20 minutes and drained!

Be fortunate it popped on it's own, it usually doesn't pop on it's own or it's hard to pop on it's own, which means it could result in a tooth being pulled out completely from what I understood.

Keep up on your brushing as well as flossing. It's very important. I don't floss, I should, but it can help a lot from reducing the buildup of calculus between the teeth. Glad to hear that you have gotten the problem fixed. Teeth are essential, once they are dead they're gone.. You don't want to have to see a special dentist for periodontal disease some day. That stuff ain't cheap.

The mouth is filled with acids and bacteria are teeth/gum's worst enemy.

I wish you the best. (:
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Tags: