Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: The sympoms that worry me... for probably no good reason!  (Read 144 times)

Offline cdonald1

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
The sympoms that worry me... for probably no good reason!
« on: March 14, 2014, 06:50:39 PM »
Hello all,

I am a 24 year old male. Since about the end of December I have had nasal congestion that just wouldn't quit associated with some pretty consistent sinus pressure, especially between the eyes. I saw an ENT and was prescribed Flonase and Patanase (two nasal sprays) for what he thought might be allergies.  I used these for about a month but still had the congestion for the most part, although a few days were better than previously. I stopped using these because I noticed blood in my mucus, mostly from only one nostril. This worried me, but I knew it was a possible side-effect of the sprays and also possible with the dry winter air.  My nose only actually bled out from my nostrils once - but if I stuck a tissue up my nostril I would often find blood.... it was always pretty deep and toward the septum side it seemed. I followed up recently and the doc looked around my nose with a nasoscope and saw nothing irregular and he said the bleeding should stop. He told me that he only cares about bleeding if it actually comes out and that I shouldn't go looking for it. This was a week ago, and I still have some blood in the same nostril (I looked for it  :angry-smiley-034:, just by putting a tissue up there). Should I really not be worried if I'm still getting blood, now about 2 weeks after I initially discovered the bit of blood in my mucus? I haven't been on the sprays, but started to take a saline nasal spray 2x day and that actually seems to help with some of my congestion, but the blood remains. Of course Google has me convinced that I have some sort of paranasal sinus cancer and the blood is from some tumor in one of my sinuses. I'm really trying to convince myself that it is only due to dryness and allergies (in addition to the meds), but it just seems strange to me that I've never had such a reaction with allergies or anything like that. If I had to place a wager, I'd obviously bet that it is nothing serious, but I just can't help myself from constantly thinking otherwise.

Thanks for any input and hopefully helping me to ease my mind!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
Re: The sympoms that worry me... for probably no good reason!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 07:06:12 PM »
If there was a tumor up there big enough to cause bleeding, it would certainly be big enough for the doctor to SEE it when he looked up there.
Bookmark and Share

Offline cdonald1

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 07:14:20 PM »
I did consider that, but I was thinking that if something like that is in one of the sinuses and maybe leads into the nasal cavity, which is where the blood would be found, then it can't be seen with a nasoscope and the doctor just assumes it is just a regular bleed that will heal
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ryze

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 07:27:54 PM »
Its from the nasal sprays. I had a sinus infection as well and never had any blood until I started using a nasal rinse. About the third time I used it I noticed a tiny drop of blood in the tissue. After that for about a week every time I'd use the rinse then blow my nose or just blow my nose a bit harder I'd get a tiny bit of mucus with a little blood on it. Unless your nose bleeds while you're just sitting there you shouldn't have anything to worry about. In my case I never had a runny nose or any of the typical sinus or allergy symptoms (never had allergies) so the blood was most likely from my nose being so dry and the saline rinse loosening up all the stuff that was crusted up in there.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: