Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: General Anesthesia  (Read 214 times)

Offline ivyt73

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
General Anesthesia
« on: March 13, 2014, 07:34:27 AM »
Hi Everyone,
I have been having trouble with uterine fibroids for a few years and they have grown to the point that I am going to have to have a laparoscopic hysterectomy.  I haven't scheduled it yet but I will soon.  I am not so much scared of the surgery but I am terrified about being put under general anesthesia.

I feel like I am scheduling my death...I am terrified.

Does anyone else fear this or have reasons why not to fear it.?

Thanks
Ivy
Bookmark and Share

Offline mydogisnamedslippy

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh
    • Poke This Member
Re: General Anesthesia
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 10:01:41 AM »
Honestly, I love anesthesia. Not gonna lie. It's sooo cool. You just drift to sleep and then you wake up and it's like no time has happened. And you up feel great. I wish I could have anesthesia for everything like going on a plane, or going to the dentist.

You'll be fine!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nelly22

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 10:33:13 AM »
I've never been put under, but I do have this same fear. I've put off getting my wisdom teeth out and some elective surgeries Id like to have because I can't get past the fear. My dr. and I were talking about it and like the other poster, she said it's fun and she looks at it as a nice nap. She said to try to remember how many people get it every day and that the incredibly vast majority are just fine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline skywizzard

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 11:15:58 AM »
I recently went under for the first time in my life and honestly its pretty darn cool. I don't know if that is common protocol but i was given some sort of chill pill one hour before being taken away for the operation. Now before i had taken the pill i was edgy and obviously distressed, however after i had taken the pill and they were about to roll me out and take me to the OR i felt really calm. According to my mom i had this huge smile on my face and was telling her not to worry and how everything is going to be just fine xD. As for the anesthesia itself i remember being told by the anesthesiologist, "we are beginning", immediately after that i felt really heavy and then i woke up in my room. Easy peasy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline xxAmyxx

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 01:31:15 PM »
I'm going to have to agree with the previous posters. I've been put under twice and I loved it. Hate the needles, but loved the nap! I always woke up in a good mood. Best of luck with your surgery.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ahefner33

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 03:33:22 PM »
haha I told the same thing to my wife when I had to be put to sleep. Felt great afterwards. So calm and relaxed

Honestly, I love anesthesia. Not gonna lie. It's sooo cool. You just drift to sleep and then you wake up and it's like no time has happened. And you up feel great. I wish I could have anesthesia for everything like going on a plane, or going to the dentist.

You'll be fine!
Bookmark and Share
Live

Offline etethorpe

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 07:02:42 PM »
Ivy, I share your fear of being put out, but truly, there is very little to be afraid of.  It is very safe and you will be constantly monitored.

I've been put out maybe 10 times (all out patient surgery except for an appendectomy) and all except for once I hated the waking up part.  The one time I woke up feeling good and relaxed as everyone else wrote but the other times I was groggy and it took quite a while before I could sit up, let alone walk.  Last time I had double vision for hours, I was the last one to leave the out patient ward that day  I don't know why I have a problem with this, everyone else I know talks about what a great feeling it is coming out of anesthesia. Ugh, I don't like it a bit, I want to be aware and functioning.

The best part is the nice little injection I've had a few minutes before being put out.  It takes away my anxiety 100% and makes me extremely talkative, I'm feeling like I am the life of the party talking to all the docs and nurses in the OR (and probably embarrassing myself something fierce), next thing I know I am waking up.

I've begged for local only but no one wants to oblige.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ivyt73

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 07:10:16 PM »
Hey Everybody,
Thanks for all of the great positive posts.  It is very helpful and I find it interesting how many of you actually enjoy being under anesthesia...that is so funny.  I have done it twice before but it was so long ago.  I am really working myself up at the thought of it.

I don't know, it is irrational I know and you all are right people do it every day. 

I am just so down and depressed at the thought of it.

Ivy
Bookmark and Share

Tags: