Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: FULL PANIC! Was referred to a gastro and recommends an ultrasound and endoscopy.  (Read 524 times)

Offline jvrbax

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Oh dear.

After a month of being on omeprazole because of some occasional burping, gnawing feeling, and bloatedness, a different GP referred me to a gastroenterologist and wants me to have an endoscopy and ultrasound.

She said it wasn't anything urgent but she just wants to rule out gall stones or h. pylori. In the meantime she told me to eat small and frequent meals because I tend to overeat and eat quickly.

I am only 23 years old and I feel like they are going to find some cancerous lump due to the tests.

Omeprazole has helped me tremendously but the symptoms have not disappeared completely. There are some days that I feel great but there are days that I feel that the symptoms are still lingering.

Bad side:
1. Bloating after I eat (doesn't always happen)
2. Hallow or hunger-like feeling after a few hours of eating (just happened recently)
3. Burping beyond normal

Good side:
1. No nausea
2. No reflux
3. Gained some weight
4. Bowel movements are okay
5. No heartburn

I am equally scared of gallstones too but most of all, any lumps or mass they might find in the ultrasound. :(( I am crying and I do not know what to do  :traurig001: :traurig001: :traurig001:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ryze

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Your doctor doesn't sound worried, she just wants to rule it out and it could easily just be anxiety causing stomach problems. I've been having some of the same symptoms as well after my sinus infection. I don't FEEL bloated but I think I am a little by looking in the mirror. I don't ever really feel hungry but I have to eat every few hours or I start feeling like I'm going to be nauseous (but if I stay busy I forget about it and I'm completely fine.) I've had a little blood when wiping once but it was bright so doctor said it's most likely a hemorrhoid or tear or it could be due to all the steroids and antibiotics I took for my sinus infection killing off the bacteria. Some pain around my left rib that comes and goes, but I used to get it under both or in the center of my chest. Even up as far my shoulder sometimes. Feels just like a sore or tense muscle more than anything else and also goes away if I don't worry about it. Had a little heartburn and reflux before but only for a couple of days. No constipation or diarrhea. Never had any stomach issues before I got the sinus infection. and every doctor I've told all my symptoms to just said I had a sinus infection. When I asked if it could be anxiety since I never had any problems or even anxiety until I got the sinus infection they said it could easily be but to be safe they recommend I see a gastroenterologist mostly since I had a little blood when wiping and they just want to make sure even though they really aren't worried about it unless its black or a darker color. If your stools are a darker color as well that means you're bleeding from further up.  All of the symptoms I've had can in one way or another be linked to anxiety, and the fact that they disappear almost completely if I don't worry about them makes me think that that's what its all from. If it was anything serious I doubt it would just come and go. There's plenty of other people on the forums who have been having similar symptoms as well and chances are much higher that we all have them due to some form of anxiety rather than anything serious.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Worry2Much

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Don't Panic, seriously. She just wants to get to the bottom of it. It could very well be gall bladder related with most symptoms you mentioned. I had a u/s done to check my gall bladder and they didn't see anything however I know something isn't right still. I didn't get a endoscopy though but wouldn't have minded. My grandmother had her gall bladder out via incision when she was younger and she is fine.
I have most of your symptoms except my BM are not on my good list.

Bookmark and Share

Offline jvrbax

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Thank you Ryze and Worry.

I know how the doctors just want to get to the bottom of everything else, but I can't help but be anxious in the process. It's really killing me. I really don't mind the procedure itself, but it's the results that make me go crazy. The fear of the unknown. I feel that they might find something else that is much worse like the you-know-what.

Have you been prescribed by the doctors some other medication? Any was it down to something just minor?

I am hoping that it is just anxiety or gastritis, but being an HA person, of course, I am going mad at the thought of it.

I hope to see my GI doctor tomorrow.  :traurig001:
Bookmark and Share

Online Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I was also told to do ultrasound and endoscopy 3 years ago,  but I didn't have worries since doctors told me the same thing that they told you...it's maybe h.pylori we want to check. It was indeed h.pylori.

Anyway try to relax, these are normal tests and they are not doing them because they suspect you have cancer as you don't. ;)
Bookmark and Share

Offline terri

• love life
    • Poke This Member
seems legit. ALSO, if a doctor knows you have HA, they will do a bunch of tests simply to ease your mind.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
Let's just say I had WORSE than you for 13 months back in 2004-2005.  The thing that sent me for the endoscopy finally was a constant pressure in my stomach.    NOTHING at all was wrong (no ulcer, no gastritis, no ulcer, absolutely NOTHING).  As soon as I was told I was good everything went away.  Same day!  Amazing what the brain can do...
Bookmark and Share

Offline jvrbax

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Many thanks sunlover, terri, and hypo

Well, the doctor who recommended me to go to a GI doctor and have the tests do not know that I have HA.

Hypo, I am glad that they found out the root cause of your problems. It's really hard to stay calm in times like these.

Sun, may I know what were your symptoms back then if you don't mind? I am glad too that they found your tests normal!

It's kind of strange, I was out with some friends from high school tonight and I ate dinner with them. Until now, I don't feel bloated or any indigestion! A little burp here and there, but I feel better!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
You had asked what my symptoms were when I went for the endo.  It STARTED in November of 2004 as a feeling of heat (now I'm not talking about heartburn, that feels different than what I was getting) I can't explain it.  Then at the same time if I'd eat certain foods (beef, gravy, spaghetti sauce and ice cream) I would swallow it and when it would hit it would cause heartburn to rise from my stomach all the way up to my throat.  I'd have to have water by me to drink some immediately so it wouldn't burn so bad (this STILL happens and it did used to happen with tomato soup when I was only in grammar school!), then about a month later, Dec. 2004,  I was getting bad pressure pain in the pit of my stomach (above the belly button, below the breast bone)  If felt like someone was putting their fist there and just pressing.   Also if I would eat I'd get full REAL fast, I'd feel like my stomach got real bad pressure and if I ate anymore it would explode like a balloon, like the skin was stretching.   Some days it would be worse than others.  FINALLY in December of 2005 I agreed to the endoscopy.   Well, they do give you the results immediately...  there was absolutely nothing wrong with me.  He even said your stomach is pink and very healthy, nothing wrong.  After that day I had no more pressure and I could eat normally!  (of course that heartburn with certain foods must have never done any damage and it's nothing) - so that pressure and the full feeling must have all been brought on by my brain! 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Scaredofsymptoms

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
i had horrible heartburn and an unrelenting pain in my upper stomach/chest that I was freaked out about.
getting the endoscopy was great! took 15 minutes and was super easy since they give you a light sedative. didn't really even feel groggy afterwards.

the pain has subsided and was found to be caused from mild gastritis and reflux.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jvrbax

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Thank you sun and scared for the insightful replies.

I would have never thought that you guys had it that worse before. I am glad everything came back fine. It gives me hope.

I am really just hoping for an anxiety diagnosis or at the most, a mild case of gastritis. Sun, did the doctor diagnose your pain as anxiety?

Funny though, I sort of feel better today.

I went to have a second opinion today and the doctor said that it's still a good idea to have an endoscopy to know whether if it's an ulcer or gastritis, ulcer, or reflux. All three conditions have the same symptoms according to her.

She did prescribe me 10 20mg omeprazole again. She said that it's perfectly okay to take these even after a month. She said it's for me to take as I wait out for a GI doctor to come help me. She did say that it should be the final dosage unless told by a GI doctor.

I am thinking of waiting it out another week since I am feeling better. I don't want to eat my words too soon though. :(

Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
No, he didn't say anything about anxiety.  He just said there was nothing wrong at all and my stomach looked very healthy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jvrbax

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Thanks, sun. It's relieving to know that your tummy was all fine!

If anybody else can relate with my problem, I'd appreciate your thoughts very much. I'm thinking of going to the GI doctor next week when I am ready. :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline CrazyQuacker75

Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I wouldn't worry either cancer in the stomach and esophagus is pretty rare, an I'm pretty sure un heard of in people under thirty from the stuff that I looked at (I've had this fear for a short while also), It seems like the doc is just giving you some peace of mind. Also the fact that the omeprazole helped at all is a pretty good indication that it isn't serious. I was having wicked reflux (started my own fears), and it took me about 2 months on omeprazole and a tum or two after every meal for it to go away. My advice is watch what you eat for the time being it will only make the process smother and quicker. I'm 20 btw and I believe my reflux was brought on by anxiety and some left over poor eating habits  :spineyes:
Hoped this helped, and your test come back squeaky clean! have a good one!  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
In the race against myself

Offline jvrbax

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hi quacker, thank you for replying.

Have you had any endoscopy tests too?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: