Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: worried about my 6 yo- please help!  (Read 139 times)

Offline ryates80

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
worried about my 6 yo- please help!
« on: March 12, 2014, 09:11:40 PM »
My 6 yo son had bulges in his neck Monday night so I rushed him to the er thinking the worst. They did blood work and said it was viral but to follow up with the pediatrician. We went yesterday and she diagnosed strep. His lymph nodes on his neck are huge and his wbc was elevated. I asked multiple times if he should be hospitalized due to a friends son almost dying from undiagnosed strep. She said no and gave him a penicillin shot. Its gone down slightly maybe. He saysbhe feels fine but his temp is 97.0 and I've pretty well convinced myself that he's septic. I am really flipping out and could use some advice and/or rationality.
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: worried about my 6 yo- please help!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 09:14:44 PM »
If he's gotten the penicillin shot, he'll be just fine!  If he was septic, you would know it.  He would be EXTREMELY ill!  He would not be talking to you or sitting up. 

Strep is a nasty bug IF it's not treated but he's being treated so he'll be just fine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
Re: worried about my 6 yo- please help!
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 07:58:07 AM »
I heard mumps is making a return - has he been vaccinated for that?  Did they even suggest that?  They way you described the HUGE bumps on the neck. You could have huge ones on both sides or just one side.  As a kid I had mumps but only one the one side.   Oh if he was septic you'd KNOW it!!  I knew a young woman whose infection went septic - HIGH fever, she passed out, she was REALLY sick. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: