Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: trying so hard after another stupid trip to the er:(  (Read 300 times)

Offline Lo213

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
trying so hard after another stupid trip to the er:(
« on: March 11, 2014, 09:54:05 AM »
I ended up giving in and going to the ER the other night because I thought for SURE I was having a heart attack.  All morning I had jaw pain, elbow pain, chest pain....and then when I was in the ER I had horrible chest pressure and I could NOT burp it out.  So of COURSE everything came out fine.  I left wanting to turn around and go back for another blood test because I was afraid that the attack just hadn't shown up in my blood yet because I read that it can take from 6-12 hours.  So I was 100% confident that I hadn't had an attack within the week prior to 12 hours before my blood was drawn.  I keep trying to remind myself of all of the horrid symptoms I had in that time period that clearly were not related to my heart.  But I was still afraid that I had had one since then.  And I had read somewhere at one point that unstable angina would show up, too, so I tried to take comfort in the fact that my symptoms throughout the week had NOT been angina, either.  Yesterday was one of my better days.  It didn't stop me from panicking multiple times, but I felt better than I have in a long time.  So this morning I tried to wake up in a good mood.  I kept saying to myself that it was going to be a good day.  The weather is supposed to be really nice, I only have to work until 1.....so I could enjoy the afternoon and finally finish cleaning my house!  Open the windows and get some fresh air!  Enjoy time with my husband.  But then on my way to work my elbows started to ache.  I keep saying "this has happened SO many times in the past and it's never been a sign of anything bad" but then I think "well this time could be different....."

I just don't know how to handle this.  I've decided that I really don't want to worry anymore.  But it's so hard.  And it's even worse because I started an antibiotic yesterday for a UTI and last night I was really itchy and kept waking up freezing cold, even though my husband said it was hot in the room.  Both of these are listed as serious side effects.  I'm wanting to just go ahead and take the next pill and prove to myself that it's just anxiety and not an actual reaction, but of course I"m afraid of being wrong.  And I've taken this same antibiotic in the past.  The last time I was pregnant I took it twice.  So I don't think I"m allergic to it....but of course it's not impossible that I would be allergic to it this time, especially since it's a higher dose.

Bookmark and Share

Offline clippergoodwill

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
Re: trying so hard after another stupid trip to the er:(
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 12:26:00 PM »
Don't feel bad about going to the ER, in a way those can turn out to be positive reminders of just how healthy you are. Doctors and nurses are trained medical professionals. They strive to find anomolies and will work their hardest to find resolution. They know the signs and symptoms, you sometimes have to have a bit of faith, but trust in their educated judgment that you are in good health.

I've had multiple anxiety attacks over the past year and have been to the ER 5-6 times myself. I hope I won't go again, but never underestimate the power of anxiety. Even though I haven't had to seek medical assistance, there are days I've had to cancel plans, and just spend the day on the bed or couch resting because I could just feel my anxiety being sky high. I'm also the type to -never- call in to work, so i work with high anxiety too, which isn't a good thing.

It's all about knowing your body, and working with the signals your mind is sending out to determine the real from the fake. It's not easy in the slightest, and takes multiple bad attacks before you can breathe and confirm to yourself that it's just anxiety, and not a heart attack. Anxiety is a sinister and twisted demon, it loves to imitate various ailments and seems to know when/where to strike us.

Stay strong my friend, and hope there are better and sunnier days ahead.  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lo213

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 06:13:43 PM »
I'm having a bad day again. My symptoms have morphed enough into a new kind of pain in the same places so I want to go get them checked out. My husband won't be home for 2 hours. I feel like I should call 911. I don't want to die because I ignore the one time I really do have a heart attack.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lo213

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 08:47:12 PM »
I want to go back to the hospital so badly. My jaw, shoulders, and arms ache. I'm short of breath. I can't relax because of the pain. I don't know what's real and what's panic. My husband just got home and I keep snapping at him. I just tried so hard to have a good day again and I've failed. I worked in the morning and was relatively ok. My father in law picked me up and I was having sharp tooth pain but I ignored it. I came home and waited for the baby to nap so I could, too. I had a quick scare that I was having an allergic reaction to my antibiotic but I calmed myself down and the baby and I both napped. He woke me up two hours later. At first I was fine but within a few min the heart attack symptoms started and have just been cycling through all afternoon and evening. I'm scared. I don't know how to not be scared. I don't know how to accept the fact that to get better I have to risk being wrong. My brain is telling me to get checked out just in case. How can I not err on the side of caution?  This is something that could kill me quickly if left untreated. I know the odds are strongly in my favor of it being nothing....but it does nothing to stop the worrying.
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 12:33:39 AM »
You have to remind yourself of this: you are so terrified of so many things being wrong with you that it's basically a guarantee that you're fine. Anxiety does that. Our heads do that. It might not seem possible, but it is. Don't worry about "ignoring it the time it really happens" because it's not going to REALLY happen. You're just obsessed with it. Sometimes just knowing the side effects of a medication can cause them to "happen" as well in hypochondriacs. I think the only real issues going on here are the UTI and the anxiety. Have you spoken with a therapist? Taken medication? Talked to a doctor?
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Tags: