Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Do some people or faces make you uncomfortable?  (Read 194 times)

Offline Alexk1989

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Do some people or faces make you uncomfortable?
« on: March 11, 2014, 08:52:01 AM »
Ever since I developed a fear of skitz...I stopped watching shows that I used to love like law and order and true crime shows. Those shows often feature people that have a mental illness such as skitz. A lot of them also look a certain way, so now when I see people that resemble that overall look I kind of get like uneasy. I do not get scared or anything or think anyone is gonna harm me. I just get this creeped out feeling. Now I'm wondering oh ***** what if this develops into an actual fear of people or something.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Billie

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Do some people or faces make you uncomfortable?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 11:31:51 AM »
Hmm, I don't think I've had this, but I used to avoid touching or taking anything from someone that "looked" like they did drugs.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Alexk1989

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 12:10:52 PM »
Hmm...I really don't mind people I work in a medical office where I talk to people everyday and interact. I've never been a really social person, but I have no problem talking to people or up keeping conversations. The way I'm looking at it is my fear is of skitz...so anything that surrounds that theme makes me uncomfortable.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Billie

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 12:35:11 PM »
I think the best way to approach it is to still watch those shows, maybe a few minutes at a time. If you get anxious, just sit with it as best as you can and then shut the show off. Each time, try a little longer until you can enjoy the whole program again. But I would talk to your doctor or therapist and see if they can help you figure out specific ERP or CBT to do, that's just my suggestion.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Alexk1989

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 01:33:49 PM »
So from everything I've said or posted on here that you read...I should just accept the OCD and not worry about skitzo haha. I look for reassurance everywhere sigh.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Billie

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 05:21:45 PM »
It's ok, reassurance seeking is a big part of mental illness. I'm pretty sure we all to it, even to different degrees. That's a big reason why we're all here. It helps to be validated and acknowledged. It helps that someone else is or has gone through what we are and made it. From everything I've read that you posted, it's OCD and it's causing you to worry about becoming crazy. You have to tell it to eff off. I know it's hard, but it gets easier eventually.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Alexk1989

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 07:56:52 PM »
Thank you sir...I know for a fact that once this deal of skitzo goes away I'll look back at it just like everything else and hopefully think wow what a phase can't believe all that seemed like a possibility at the time. I'm addition I know that once I'm over the fear them the irrational discomfort and bad taste I get from these types of shows will go away.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: