Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Extremely tired, unfocused, brain foggy, fatigued... Very scared!  (Read 633 times)

Offline psychopika

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Whatever doesn't kill you fucks you up mentally
    • Poke This Member
Hey guys,

After suffering from severe anxiety for over 4 months, having all sorts of weird symptoms like hot flashes and mild night sweats, having all sorts of tests done only to show nothing...

Now for the past month I've started having this bizarre fatigue / brain fog. It's very weird, it's like I only want to stare blankly and it's hard to focus, mentally and physically. My eyes can't focus well. I feel sleepy all the time and feel like staying still, not moving. Like I'm trapped or something. I have trouble waking up and I feel dizzy and sleepy even after I've just slept.

I don't know where to look for cancers anymore! I don't know. I've looked for the past 4 months, I've been convinced that I have cancer and I've been to doctors but no one found anything. I've had ultrasounds, blood tests, mri etc. I don't know, I can't scan my whole body now can I?! And now this weird fatigue is making me think I have a cancer somewhere and I'm so scared!

I have no motivation, no energy to do anything, I feel so... unmoveable. My mind is foggy, I can't think well. I feel pressure inside my head.

What is wrong with me?! Is this cancer? Is it anxiety? Can anxiety do this to me? I've never had this before! I'm so afraid, I don't know what doctors to go to anymore.

I've had better days too, but this one is one of the worst... I've read that cancer can give you this exact kind of fatigue and I got so scared. And even if I'm scared I still cannot snap out of this foggy state.

Please... any advice?

EDIT: some more info about my other symptoms: I eat more than usual, gained a bit of weight (I was underweight before), I have no sexual desire, my periods are lighter, I have mild nightsweats for 4 months, I have hot flashes and then chills whenever I get angry or emotional or I work out, I am constantly thinking I have cancer and I look for it in every symptoms I have,  in January I had insomnia and couldn't sleep, I woke up every 2-3hours and wasn't tired at all - now in February I started sleeping a lot and have trouble waking up, feel extremely tired, unfocused, braing foggy...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 161
    • Poke This Member
Re: Extremely tired, unfocused, brain foggy, fatigued... Very scared!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 07:40:44 AM »
It is all anxiety. Heck you have had all these tests done. Time to accept the facts. You have not got cancer. It is just anxiety. Yes. Anxiety can cause everything you mentioned. Because you focus on it all a lot more it is like you are feeding the fear. Once you begin to feed the fear you are only making things much worse for yourself. Therapy might be a good place to start off. Learn how to calm yourself down. Ways to distract yourself. Take your mind off of yourself. Focus on other things. It is only when you begin to learn how to do this that things will begin to pick up for you. You may also have a touch of depression. Which would explain a lot of the other things too. I would suggest you see a therapist. Start the ball rolling. Get yourself better.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline psychopika

Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 08:34:05 AM »
It is all anxiety. Heck you have had all these tests done. Time to accept the facts. You have not got cancer. It is just anxiety. Yes. Anxiety can cause everything you mentioned. Because you focus on it all a lot more it is like you are feeding the fear. Once you begin to feed the fear you are only making things much worse for yourself. Therapy might be a good place to start off. Learn how to calm yourself down. Ways to distract yourself. Take your mind off of yourself. Focus on other things. It is only when you begin to learn how to do this that things will begin to pick up for you. You may also have a touch of depression. Which would explain a lot of the other things too. I would suggest you see a therapist. Start the ball rolling. Get yourself better.

Thank you so much for this reply! It does help a bit - to know that my symptoms aren't necessarily caused by a cancer. That they sound like anxiety!

It's just that I'm so fatigued all the time... I would sleep continuously and my head is heavy and dizzy and my eyes can't focus well.

I left from work today because I was feeling completely off and when I got home I started crying, then crying really loud and then I got furious and stated screaming like I was insane and hitting doors and walls and asking my hypothetical cancer 'Where are you? Where the f**** are you?'. Yes, I am embarrassed. A couple of years ago I was a complete person, I was a smart, beautiful young woman who was LIVING HER LIFE. Now I'm this mess that does this kind of thing. It's not even the first time.

I just feel so trapped.

I did have tests done, but I keep thinking - I didn't have them ALL done - maybe there are some tests that I missed. On the other hand, I'm afraid to look any further, I'm afraid to have more tests and imaging done. I just want it all to stop.

I am seeing a psychologist but so far no progress. I feel better a couple of days then find another symptom to worry about. Anything goes - a bruise, a pain, a rash, a zit, bleeing gums, my periods, my temperature - anything. I don't want to take SSRIs because they have fucking CANCER listed as a side effect. Isn't that just hilarious?!

I am taking Lorazepam from time to time lately, but I don't think it helps with my brain fog (the brain fog episodes started before taking Lorazepam).

This fatigue & brain fog aren't exactly an every day thing, I've had a few days when I've felt quite normal. But they come back and last for days. They're on and off... I'm afraid they're getting worse though, and more frequent and they last longer.

I also noticed I feel a bit better when I talk about it. The more I talk about it, the more focused I seem to be. Then when I stop talking about it, it's rapidly back to fatugued and foggy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Alecia6

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 08:51:58 AM »
You don't have cancer. If you've had all the tests you said you did, it would have been detected by now.Any sort of cancer would have been found.
You don't have it.
The way anxiety works, is that your brain decides to fear one specific thing. Then it obsess's about it. The more anxiety you cause to yourself over this obsessing, the more symptoms you can cause all on your own from worrying.
Every single thing you mentioned, many anxiety sufferer's have gone through..exactly the same things you described.
You are putting a lot of stress on your body from obsessing that you have something wrong with you. It is essentially wearing you out and that's what is making you feel so drained and so tired, etc. It's not dangerous by the way, you won't get a serious illness by worrying and causing these symptoms. But you will tucker yourself right out till you will need loads more sleep.
Have you considered medication for the anxiety and obsessing? It might be a step in the right direction and will give your brain some relief from worrying like you have been.
Bookmark and Share

Offline psychopika

Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 10:25:27 AM »
Hey guys,

Just checking in to tell you how I've been (it's nice to imagine someone's interested in this haha).

I got thyroid testing done, which my doctor interpreted as normal, although they were a bit towards the 'hypothyroid' side, but close to the normal levels. The endocrinologist told me I shouldn't even have had them done that I am fine and healthy and that my fatigue is due to anxiety and depression for sure and not any type of cancer OR the thyroid. My psychotherapist is convinced of the same thing, she thinks I'm becoming depressed.

Yesterday was the only day when I felt great, I don't know what I did - because I didn't really do anything. I had downloaded a game on my phone the previous night and I kept playing it. It got me immersed in it I suppose. I was just normal, alert, had enough energy, even though my eyes were hurting a bit. And it was lovely. Today though I'm back to feeling kind of tired, a bit dizzy and slightly foggy. I couldn't focus on the game so well anymore. I had a crying fit and I tried to sleep during the day but I got so scared that if I do it means I've got cancer so I couldn't sleep and instead just wept in bed like a loser.

Then I got up and made myself some tea.

Would cancer cause the type of fatigue that just disappears for a day or several and then back and then gone and so forth? Would it cause the type of fatigue where I'm mostly foggy and heavy-headed but not so much weak in the body? It feels more like mental fatigue, I feel it most around my head. I just feel dizzy and my eyes are closing and hurting and not focusing well. Letters seem to scramble a bit when I try to read.

I keep telling myself, I've been through hell in the last 4 months, it's normal to feel tired. I'm not sleeping well (I wake up 3-4 times during the night), I'm constantly worried, I cry often, I just won't give up worrying about cancer. Goddamn cancer.

@Alecia6: I don't want to take medication, SSRIs are known to increase risk for some different types of cancer and I just can't bring myself to take them. I also already feel foggy and they make me foggy. Plus they virtually kill any sexual desire whatsoever. Both my doctor and my psychotherapist suggested I should take medication to get me through this but I still think I can make it without. It's just that it's incredibly hard. The fatigue is now the ONLY symptom I'm worried about. I hope it will eventually fade and I'll be free.

Please tell me again this doesn't sound like cancer... (yeah, I need a quick fix of my favourite drug reassurance lol).

Thanks guys.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: