Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Suffering a lot right now..  (Read 184 times)

Offline Nann James

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Suffering a lot right now..
« on: March 10, 2014, 08:56:27 PM »
So last week i moved into a new place and it has been a constantly barrage of stress and alarm. Every single noise... every single thing I need to do... constant state of alarm. I went into work today (though I shouldn't have) and I had a horrible day. Full of anger and frustration. But I hoped going in would have given my cat some time to relax and go to the bathroom.  He has not gone #2 in 5 days. This is verging on serious here. Tomorrow I have to go into work for a full day and,  if I he doesn't go.. do you know what kind of horror that is going to be? A big one.  He was terrified of the move.. imagine taking him to the vet? If I can even get him in there. Which I doubt. 

I am now... "alarming" about that. I won't be able to really concentrate tomorrow on work hoping he will go and chances are he won't.  But in a last ditch effort I gave him tuna with as much miralax as I could.

It is my hope that due to the move he didn't eat a lot for the first few days and thus, he doesn't have a lot to produce. But I am "alarming" every moment.

If I get what I want on that... I will alarm about something else... the fact that he won't come down stairs.. the next noise in the house that I hear. 

I am in a constant state of alarm and sleep is not exactly restful.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
Re: Suffering a lot right now..
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 09:05:05 PM »
This sounds like a definite new-territory struggle for you and your cat.  Where do you have his/her litter box at and does (i'm going to call it a she because I've always had she cats) she know where it is located? It is most likely that the cat is still adjusting to the new territory, although I'm not for certain as I'm not a vet and I haven't moved any pets.

I suggest to ease some stress try calling a vet and asking (even the secretary) some information on your cat's irregular bowel movement. it could very well be that there are scents of other pets still in the house that your cat is picking up, and you know how animals act upon territory.

If you end up taking the cat to the vet, I suggest borrowing a kennel carrier as that cat will be much more easier to handle taking into the vet clinic. if you can borrow one from someone you can even save some money or just check around. I'm not too sure on the cost, but if you have to buy one you can always use it later on.

Try dropping your cat in her litter box a few times throughout the next few days, to be SURE the cat knows where the litter box is, maybe even keep it in a more open spot depending on how big the house is.

I hope you enjoy your new place, is it a big house with a nice neighborhood? You'll most likely be introduced by your neighbors eventually and things will start to calm down. Even strange noises... every house makes them, you'll soon be accustomed to it, just be rational with what it could be and hell go and check it out just to push past the fear.
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline Nann James

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 09:17:17 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I think he does know where the box is as he has gone #1 but I can't seem to get him to pay attention to the box for any period of time. He might sniff it but doesn't seem interested in going in.  I thought about moving it into a main hall way but he seems scared to get in unless he has some cover so currently it is behind a vanity (beside it) so it gives him some cover.  (it is a boy)

I don't know about a Kennel Carrier but I think if I have to take him I am going to take him in a box. His trip over here was a nightmare in the carrier and I think he ripped some of his nails. I also purchased the Feliway and sprayed it all around his box and the area upstairs in case there was a dog / cat smell that was keeping him on edge. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 09:29:45 PM »
Sounds like you're taking very positive action with him. I hope you find out what's going on. Just relax, it's hard sometimes to have to know something could possibly be wrong and yet there are things that are blocking you from fixing the problem immediately (the weekend, work, away).

How are his eating habits? has he been consuming the same amount of food prior to his last poop?

The tuna itself should help as it is moist and wet which may hydrate him, but a vet can surely clear him up with probably a simple suppository similar to a glycerin suppository or like an enema  :dazed:.

Let me know the outcome. hope all is well.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nann James

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 06:12:31 AM »
How are his eating habis? has he been consuming the same amount of food prior to his last poop?The tuna itself should help as it is moist and wet which may hydrate him, but a vet can surely clear him up with probably a simple suppository similar to a glycerin suppository or like an enema  :dazed:.

Simple!? :)

Well he did go last night -- some.  He did like 4 small dollops. Probably like the size about 3/4  my finger total. I am hoping that is a good sign, showing that he doesn't have a blockage or something.  I do think he hasn't been eating as much as I want him to.  It is hard to tell.  I do have a plate that moves every three hours or so... so, it seems the dish is empty but I can't tell if that is because it was eaten or because it moved.   The color of the movement was light ... so that makes me think the mirilax is working.  Usually when it is working the color is light.

That is a good sign to me. But I will call the vet today and ask. Thanks for your support. I suppose I won't feel quite right until he really has gone for sure.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nann James

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 08:30:32 PM »
I called my vet today and she was USELESS!!! 

So I called and asked to speak to my vet but they sent me to a vet technician. In fact a vet tech I hate. I had her sit for my cat once or twice but I got the feeling that she she hated animals so I never used her again. She had a very cold way about her.   So today I told her the situation and asked ... when should I worry. She goes... "for peace of mind I would bring her in" um... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ... so I explained to her that I have a cat who, in general could barely tolerate the move, never mind my taking him to the vet.  So I said when should I worry and she goes.. I would give it a few days.. um that has been like 7 days with tiny bowel movements... so I asked if there was anything I could give him and she reiterated that it would be best to have him checked by the vet.  Ugh.. useless.

Then, I pondered on that all day and you know what anxiety does to your brain when you are worrying... it shorts it out. I was so concentrating on all this and hoping my cat would have gone when I got home (he didn't) I forgot my wallet at work. Not only that I was running on fumes (which I never do) I literally had no money , no id, nothing... I had to pull over and just try to be calm and think through the problem (which I did) and I got some money via a check and my "frequent customer card".

Anxiety makes my brain turn to mush. I hope I don't hurt myself before my cat goes poo.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 09:31:37 PM »
I used the word "simple" to kind of ease your mind. I'm sure it's simple for a vet. although you can do it yourself, I never would...

Yeah that's a crock of crap that you got the vet tech, who is simply there to aid the vet, in a way I'm glad she didn't try to give you some sound advice which would most likely have a high chance of being irrelevant or too vague.. Is this the only vet in the place you live?

I mean if you like the clinic that's legit, go to it if you need to, but maybe call another one and see if you can speak to the vet or at least someone who knows, explain your problem....

Half the time they want you in there, probably for business purposes so most likely you're going to be egged to come in and get her checked out.. I mean they aren't running a charity I can understand that, but I mean it's not Polio, I'm sure they could have given you at least SOME explanation and then offered to check her out upon you bringing HIM (sorry for saying her I think I did already) in.

Some people's children.... I swear.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nann James

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 08:09:51 AM »
Just kidding Potatos.. (there is no need to apologize, I appreciate the support)  my cat is just not adjusting well. Last night he howled from 2 AM until 6 AM... I hope the neighbors didn't hear.  I believe it is that he is just overwhelmed by the space. Also it is hardwood and so I think it makes an echo so he could be he just likes to hear himself for comfort.  He likes my bed best but I can't let him in there... the rule ever since he was a kitten was that he slept on the couch and I slept in the closed bedroom.  (because he will disturb my sleep otherwise). But he seems to have forgotten this rule. He will not spend anytime on the main floor... no matter what. I don't know what it is about it that upsets him so. Though he will come visit.

I don't know why he hasn't gone #2. He is doing everything else perfectly. Eating, drinking, #1 seems happy and healthy... but...

I am considering taking his litter box and food and putting it in the bottom part of the place so he will feel like that is the main floor.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: