Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Questions about ovarian cancer  (Read 169 times)

Offline halesy

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
Questions about ovarian cancer
« on: March 09, 2014, 08:12:50 PM »
Hi guys. So i've been having a plethora of different symptoms but one thing that has remained the most consistent is GI issues/acid reflux/heartburn/constipation/diarrhea/abdominal pain. (TMI coming up...) I had diarrhea for about a week straight and now it's constipation. I have a lot of bloating and general discomfort in my pelvis- particularly on the right side.

I know it's pretty unlikely since i'm 20 years old with no family history of O/C... but, i can't help but feel this way...

Some background:

1) was on the birth control pill for about a year and a half. Stopped about a month and a half ago.
2) went to the ER for extreme pain in my right side in late October 2013. Had an ultrasound and CT scan done. They found a small ovarian cyst as well as some fluid suggesting something had burst.
3) Had a blood test done about a month ago since i told my doctor about all my various cancer fears. She assured me when i went back about a week ago that everything was normal in the test.... but can this really rule out anything sinister?

any help is appreciated, i hate being this neurotic :S
Bookmark and Share
“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Questions about ovarian cancer
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 09:58:23 PM »
What test did she do?  General CBC or CA125?
Bookmark and Share

Offline gatorfan04

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 10:05:11 PM »
I am 20 as well and this has actually happened to me recently.  I have ovarian cysts too and I feel confident enough to tell you that I am certain that is what you are going through as well.  At our age, with no family history, ovarian cancer is just not likely.  Also, I have heard birth control pills cut your risk of ovarian cancer.
Bookmark and Share

Offline halesy

• Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 10:46:43 PM »
I'm not sure exactly which tests she did, I mentioned all the symptoms i was having (which all pointed to various forms of cancer and i told her straight up that i was petrified of the big C) and so she ran blood tests from that. She seemed extremely confident in saying that the tests were normal and i had nothing to worry about. I have a follow-up appt with her in 2.5 weeks so we can touch base about my anxiety.

@gatorfan04...  I know logically my risk of OC is pretty much nil. I've just been so uncomfortable lately I guess i'm just trying to come up with any old reason to justify my HA worries :( 
Bookmark and Share
“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline gatorfan04

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 11:02:17 PM »
Justifying our worries is pretty much what we do haha.  If I were you, I would talk to my doctor about confirming you have a bothersome cyst, and then try to find some medication that relieves the pain.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: