Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Is it likely that I'll catch something from my uncle coughing?  (Read 93 times)

Offline NeurosisOsmosis

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
My uncle coughs constantly, and he has for as long as I've known him (he refuses to go to the doctor, for religious reasons). He's almost seventy years old. About ten minutes ago, he coughed directly at my face like three times. I'm worried, is it likely that I'll catch something? If so, is there anything I can do to prevent getting sick? I've lived with him for the past three years, and I haven't caught anything form him before.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PinkIcePrincess

• Rec's: 9
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Is it likely that I'll catch something from my uncle coughing?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 09:21:06 AM »
Hi NeurosisOsmosis,
 I would say based on what you have said about him and he has always had a cough then odds are no you wouldn't get sick because by now you would have but it is always good to not cough in someone's face also when someone does go and clean your face and hands etc...
 Does he smoke or did he?? if so that could be why he has coughed for years.. if not I don't know what it could be only a doctor would know.
 I also tell people to always get check ups from their family doctor and stay healthy and ask questions so when you go if you have one ask the doctor about the cough he has he may say I really don't know unless I see him but he may also say well since he has had this cough for so long you have no worries because you haven't gotten sick.

I so wish he would get checked out but with his beliefs it is his choice and his rights .. I am not a fan of doctors and hospitals or testing myself but I have to go at times..  He is also 70 so he may know what he is doing .. :)

Take care of your health okay and do the best you can!!
 PinkIcePrincess
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 09:39:03 AM »
He's not SICK right?  If he had it for years it could just be post nasal drip, that's really all it COULD be.  (unless he's a smoker, then it's a smokers cough and again you can't catch anything.)  And the only thing you could catch is if he happens to be harboring a cold germ right now - even then it's not likely.   But I'm like you about getting sick, and what I would do "just in case" is go to a drug store and buy some Zicam (you spray it in your mouth), if you feel a sore throat coming on, start using it.  That stuff is a miracle!!!  Last April I felt a sore throat coming on, that tell tale little burn on the side of my throat.  used that stuff for 2 days (every 3 hours - even during the night!) and then everything was gone!  Never got sick!
Bookmark and Share

Offline NeurosisOsmosis

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 09:44:48 AM »
No, he's not a smoker, but he was diagnosed as diabetic. He told me a doctor wanted to amputate his leg twenty years ago, and he almost knocked him out lol.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 09:47:50 AM »
Then he probably has post nasal drip.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PinkIcePrincess

• Rec's: 9
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 10:14:59 AM »
So he is a diabetic and he probably doesn't take meds then right since he wont see a doctor and he still have his limbs that is amazing since a doctor said he needed one removed!!! lol

I gotta give him credit where credit is due though he is 70 and still kicking and screaming and if all he is doing is coughing then it could be just what Sunlover said Post Nasal Drip from Sinus problems but even with that you would not cough a lot and be severe all the time he very well could have a lung issue due to the diagnosis given years ago my Mom and my Grandmother also my Great Grandfather and many relatives are Diabetics I know Grandma coughed a lot and had lung issues but she smoked for years then quit but her lungs were messed up .. so really unless he is checked you wont know.

I have never heard of that nose spray sounds good Sunlover!! I use the nasal spray without meds in it because some make me sick and hyper.. its called Normal Saline Solution I also make sure I use lotion in my nose to keep it from cracking because many germs go into the nose into the dried cracked areas also I use my germ x and keep the hands washed..

He sounds like a tough man!! Gotta love that!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 04:02:46 PM »
So he is a diabetic and he probably doesn't take meds then right since he wont see a doctor and he still have his limbs that is amazing since a doctor said he needed one removed!!! lol

I gotta give him credit where credit is due though he is 70 and still kicking and screaming and if all he is doing is coughing then it could be just what Sunlover said Post Nasal Drip from Sinus problems but even with that you would not cough a lot and be severe all the time he very well could have a lung issue due to the diagnosis given years ago my Mom and my Grandmother also my Great Grandfather and many relatives are Diabetics I know Grandma coughed a lot and had lung issues but she smoked for years then quit but her lungs were messed up .. so really unless he is checked you wont know.

I have never heard of that nose spray sounds good Sunlover!! I use the nasal spray without meds in it because some make me sick and hyper.. its called Normal Saline Solution I also make sure I use lotion in my nose to keep it from cracking because many germs go into the nose into the dried cracked areas also I use my germ x and keep the hands washed..

He sounds like a tough man!! Gotta love that!!

PinkIce... it's not a nose spray, you spray it in your mouth - you could find it at any pharmacy and check it out.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: