Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Bumping head cause death from epidural hematoma  (Read 205 times)

Offline matt1990

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Bumping head cause death from epidural hematoma
« on: March 06, 2014, 09:31:22 PM »
I bent over and coming back up I whacked the right side of my head on the sharp edge of a metal bench. It hurt for about 2 minutes, but I had no other symptoms. This was about 5 hours ago. Then just about 30 minutes ago I managed to hit the front of my head 2 more times against a hard metal pole as I was leaning forward to pick up something.

Concerned about hitting my head three times in one day, I decided to search the old googlewebs and find out when to seek medical attention after bumping your head. Subsequently I was freaked out by the story of natasha richardson dieing from an epidural hematoma after a minor fall on a beginner ski slope. Apparently she didnt have any symptoms at first, and the fall was minor on soft snow not like she hit a tree or anything hard. How could such an insignificant fall have killed her?

How hard do you have to hit your head to cause an epidural hematoma? I dont have any symptoms at the moment such as headache, nasuea, dizzyness, confusion drowsiness or loss of consciousness. Still my anxiety has latched on making me terrified of dying of brain trauma suddenly from a relatively minor head bump.
Bookmark and Share

Offline emily1994

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Bumping head cause death from epidural hematoma
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 11:40:29 PM »
Well, all I can tell you is that when I was about 18 months old, I was in a stroller in a store with hard cement floors. I undid my strap and fell out of the stroller, and landed on my head. My mom said it was so loud that it sounded like a watermelon dropped and you could hear it throughout the store. Luckily, a nurse happened to be there, and stayed with me for a little. I didn't vomit or pass out, and I'm still alive today at 19 years old.

I wouldn't worry about what happened to you. I know it's hard not to, but you will see that you are fine! The skull is hard for a reason.  :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Offline NightBlizzard

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Just Breathe
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 11:58:12 PM »

Concerned about hitting my head three times in one day, I decided to search the old googlewebs and find out when to seek medical attention after bumping your head. Subsequently I was freaked out by the story of natasha richardson dieing from an epidural hematoma after a minor fall on a beginner ski slope. Apparently she didnt have any symptoms at first, and the fall was minor on soft snow not like she hit a tree or anything hard. How could such an insignificant fall have killed her?

How hard do you have to hit your head to cause an epidural hematoma? I dont have any symptoms at the moment such as headache, nasuea, dizzyness, confusion drowsiness or loss of consciousness. Still my anxiety has latched on making me terrified of dying of brain trauma suddenly from a relatively minor head bump.

From what I heard - she was going at a fast speed when she fell. Even though it was the beginners slope, if you have enough moment you can seriously hurt yourself if you fall. Also we don't know if she fell and hit something hard beneath the snow, there are a lot of variable to consider with her case. (She also wasn't wearing a helmet!)

I remember one time I was on the sidelines with a friend at school for Gym, they were playing baseball. The ball flew towards me and smacked me on the side of my head. It hurt enough to send me to the nurse, but I was a-ok (and that was a flying ball!) This was about 3-4 years ago

Bookmark and Share
"Grant that my hands be steady, my aim be true, and my feet swift. And should the worst come to pass - grant me forgiveness"

Offline matt1990

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 12:30:08 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I'm feeling better now. Reading about the natasha richardson thing just really freaked me out because they said that she had a minor fall on the snow and was apparently lucid for an hour before realizing the seriousness of the situation. The fall must have been fairly significant for them to have called paramedics immediately after the fall. They dont call 911 every time someone falls on the slope.

There was one neurosurgeon interview mentioning that brain hemorrhage is highly unlikely to happen unless a high speed impact traumatic impact occurs. I was relieved to hear that bumping your head such as on a car door will not cause this kind of damage.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 12:58:16 AM »
It really also depends on a person's anatomy, most likely you're fine. if you were disoriented for a while or felt like you were going to fall asleep I would definitely have sought help, but I've racked my head quite a bit... gotta remember that we've got a skull for a reason as well as fluid and coating on the insides of the skull to protect us from these types of things. keep an eye for bruises, considering you didn't even "knock yourself out" you might have some soreness or a knot in the least.
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Tags: