Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Pancreas/Stomach Worries  (Read 242 times)

Offline dapayton

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Pancreas/Stomach Worries
« on: March 06, 2014, 05:35:40 PM »
Okay, so this is my story:

About 3 years ago I started having very sharp pains in the upper center of my abdomen (epigastric), just below the breastbone every 6 months or so.  These would occur after a very heavy meal and sometimes just a sip of alcohol.  I figured gallbladder so I did not concern myself with it.  Last July I decided to go get it checked out just to be certain and after ultrasounds, barium tests, ejection studies they told me that yes I had a low functioning gallbladder (20%).  They said just to deal with it as long as it didn't affect my life and to watch my diet.

Fast forward 1 month to July of 2013, a coworker of mine was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and passed away.  After his funeral I was speaking with another coworker and was told "They thought it was his gallbladder at first."  I have been OCD  for my entire life, but usually about hobbies and clean things and etc, but at that moment something changed.  I began researching pancreatic cancer and began thinking that I must surely have it.  It consumed my thoughts, but I couldn't help it and sure enough after a few weeks of this extreme anxiety I began to feel a gnawing/burning pain just to the left of the bottom of the breastbone but only about an inch at most to the left of where my gallbladder pains were.  I then began to feel naseus after eating and began to lose weight, so I decided to get my gallbladder removed because I figured that was the issue.

Last September I got it removed but soon after the gnawing/burning came back in the same spot it was at prior to the surgery so I decided to see my doctor about it.  He told me that he thought it sounded like Gastritis and prescribed me Zegerid for 12 weeks.  The Zegerid began to help but every now and then I would have flare ups where the burning/gnawing would really bother me during the day but overall I felt much improved. At the 8th week I decided to see a gastroenterologist  to see if he had any other recommendations, but couldn't see him until a month later so I booked the appointment.  By the 12th week of Zegerid I felt practically healed.  Maybe every couple of days I would have a few seconds of the burning sensation but it would quickly go away.  I decided to keep my appointment however just to see if he had any other recommendations to keep it away.  At my appointment, he said sounds great but recommended staying on the Zegerid for another month to make sure the symptoms went away completely, or else he wanted to start doing more tests (Upper Endoscopy) and make sure it isn't the Pancreas.  Sure enough, at that moment my mind started going again and by that evening the burning/gnawing pain was back. 

2 Weeks after this the issue was still there so I called to make an appointment for an Endoscopy.  I went and had that done at the beginning of February, and a Biopsy came back showing that I had Chronic Gastritis.  He recommended staying on the Zegerid til everything completely cleared up and I felt so relieved.  Soon after the pain started to subside again.

Well of course, now again I am worried that it is just a symptom of something else and the issues are just coming back.  I was wondering if anyone here had a similar situation that they were able to overcome or recommendations on what I should do next.  This is such a terrible issue but I just can't stop worrying. 

FYI I am a 28 year old male, so I don't need this so young.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dragi316

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Re: Pancreas/Stomach Worries
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 07:23:39 PM »
I feel ya man I have the same fears as you even though I know PC in someone are age im 30 is almost unheard of. How old was your colleague if you don't mind me asking
Bookmark and Share

Offline halesy

• Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 09:07:01 PM »
I always worry about those things too. But two things you need to keep in mind.

1) If you've been having these symptoms for three YEARS, you would be in really, really rough shape by now. it would have gotten progressively worse and you'd be really, REALLY sick by now..... probably even worse.
2) as the poster above mentioned, pancreatic cancer is rare to begin with, but SO rare in someone our age. It primarily effects the elderly. I'm assuming your colleague was not as young as you are???

These are things i tell myself when i get carried away with my PC/stomach fears  :spineyes:
Bookmark and Share
“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline dapayton

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 10:14:06 PM »
Yup he was in his 60s.  Even though I know that the flare ups correspond to high anxiety times my mind refuses to accept the most likely scenario and goes straight for the worst.
Bookmark and Share

Offline angrry

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 11:04:07 AM »
I have the same fear right now dapayton...i'm going to go see the doc next week...abdominal pain, back pain...really, really scared...hope you can feel better soon
Bookmark and Share

Offline ColdHands

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Warm heart, strong mind, struggling liver
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 11:14:10 AM »
If you would have had PC when this started three years ago, the other poster is right.  You wouldn't be in bad shape, you would be dead.  PanCan moves quickly and aggressively.  It is possible to get it younger, but EXTREMELY rare.  Its POSSIBLE that I will win the lottery or that I will be hit by space junk when I go to lunch today, but not likely.

I have had all sorts of issues since my GB became an issue and then was removed.  I also have a hiatus hernia, which causes most of my problems.  If they did the endoscopy and all the other tests they seem to have done on your, they would have found something.

I had a cousin and my father in law die of this disease.  It took them quick and the pain was unbearable at the end.  They turned yellow too.  I highly doubt you have anything to worry about.
Bookmark and Share
"There is just one more thing that bothers me."  Columbo

Tags: