Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Fear of elevators  (Read 283 times)

Offline chibimoeness

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Fear of elevators
« on: March 06, 2014, 03:46:34 PM »
Hey guys!
I'd just like to start off saying how intimidated I would feel if I were to tell anyone else in general, since nobody has ever really taken notice. However, since most of us here have a specific form of anxiety, I'm not worried as much here. :) So basically... I'm petrified of elevators, and nevertheless, I have symptoms of Pure OCD. Recently, I've been organizing belongings in a bizarre manner (according to my family), and while I'm aware that I won't be affected in any way, even if I didn't organize, my mind feels fully convinced that something will happen (with the majority of thoughts of me being trapped in an elevator, etc) if I don't organize. Long story short, it really causes me odd and ritualistic behavior, so I'm currently planning on seeking a Psychologists help. As for elevators, we can all justify that getting stuck has always been an issue for many. Nonetheless, when it comes to fewer people, just the thought of standing inside of a claustrophobic box can lead you to believe you are potentially in danger, and that's what really causes me to panic most... not to mention when I was younger, I screamed inside of an elevator; I thought we were stuck.
So yeah, that sums everything up pretty well. Let me know if you can relate!
Bookmark and Share

Offline 247alldayanxious

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Fear of elevators
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 09:03:25 AM »
Hello there! I am a claustrophobic: the thought of elevators absolutely terrify me. My uni has an elevator and I climb MULTIPLE flights of stairs to get to my class. Elevators, airplanes, buses, crowded places, etc. terrify me. So I can relate to you. And as for the OCD, ever since I was young, I have multiple repeating behaviors such as touching my chin whenever I stick my tongue out, touching the mirror whenever I leave the bathroom, arranging my family's slippers before going to bed, etc. I totally relate to you. I am also planning on seeking professional help since I have many anxious fears and phobias. Best wishes to you!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 06:01:05 AM »
If you have a cell phone, it's pretty much not an issue.  If there's no service for cells or you don't have one (like me!) there is always a call box in the elevator (90% of them anyway!)
Bookmark and Share

Offline tnrocks

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 03:27:08 PM »
I started to recently have the fear of elevators. When I worked in the city my floor was on the 3rd floor. So I was somewhat lucky of a short ride. We were able to walk down the steps but not up them. I started to come up with a plan if I was ever stuck inside one. Although it probably wasn't possible but it made me feel a little bit better. I said to myself I will climb through the light fixture and climb my way out. I refused to stay trapped inside so in my mind I was getting out of there in some way. Luckily I never had to try lol.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mika

• Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 01:39:17 AM »
Elevators have definitely always made me at least anxious. Whenever an elevator lurches a bit or takes a few seconds too long to open the door, I feel totally nervous and expect the worst.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lolita Cruz

• Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 09:37:05 PM »
I can relate to an extent. I'm claustrophobic and I'm really afraid of getting stuck in an elevator. Escalators scare me too. I get particularly nervous going down escalators. It's great that you plan on seeking professional help for these fears. That's a big, bold step. Best of luck to you.
Bookmark and Share
Faith is taking the first step even when you can't see the whole staircase. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 22
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 07:17:17 AM »
Funny or not so funny thing.  I am also claustrophobic and have a fear of elevators specifically crowded ones.  I had gone my whole life without getting stuck on one...until my last vacation.  On the elevator with my family and it gets stuck.  Our cells are in our room, hit the alarm, hit the call box...no answer.  Basically, a nightmare situation.  The odd thing, I was the calm one and my wife lost her mind.  She's pulling at the door and basically rips it open.  What do you know we were on the third floor, just the doors got stuck.  I scolded the front desk, got a free night and went on with my life.  Guess I'm here to talk about it.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Tags: