Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: everyone's symptoms?  (Read 171 times)

Offline Lam123

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
everyone's symptoms?
« on: March 06, 2014, 02:58:58 PM »
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to start off by thanking everyone for support pn this board. It really help to know your not alone. I was wondering what are some symptoms people have had? Onces that come and go? Ones that stick around for awhile? For me, my symptoms that come and go are chest aches, shortness of breath, and light headedness. Symptoms that seem to stick around for awhile are neck pains, leg aches, headaches, and the list goes on.

What books have you read about Health Anxiety that you have found helpful?

Thanks!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
Re: everyone's symptoms?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 06:48:18 PM »
Name a symptom... any symptom, I've had it :sprachlos020:
currently it's a WEIRD feeling in my legs that will run from my butt cheek to my calf, sometimes in both legs, sometimes only in one - it may happen spontaneously, but it will happen if I rub my eyes, scratch my stomach or feel like I have to pass gas!  It's like a chill but without the "cold" if that makes any sense.  I'm kind of blaming that on menopause though because nerve endings go haywire at this time.  This has been happening for the past 2 months. 
The ONLY thing I don't worry about is my heart.  But I worry about every other organ and disease out there.  I think I don't worry about my  heart because if I developed heart disease it's manageable and if you have a heart attack and it's the "big one" you die quickly.  My big fear is suffering, living in pain, etc.

There are a few old books by Claire Weekes that I have here.  They are really good!!  One is "Peace from Nervous Suffering", the other is "Hope and Help for Your Nerves".  I also have one by David V. Sheehan, "The Anxiety Disease" - he's not as good as Claire though!  I would really recommend her.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lam123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 06:52:17 PM »
Sunlover,

Thanks so much for the book recommendations. I find reading helps with anxiety, so I will definitely check those out.
If you don't mind me asking, how did your health anxiety start?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 07:07:50 PM »
I really don't know exactly how it started - I mean once in first grade I puked in the classroom and somehow that set me off into emetephobia (fear of puking) from then on I'd worry and stress and start to shake if I was nauseous.   I'd worry about flus and colds, I just never wanted to be sick.  As I got older my worries graduated to cancers and other diseases.  When I was younger (under 40) I could comfort myself with, "Oh, I'm too YOUNG for that!"  and then I'd kind of forget about it.  But at 55 I am not "too young" for ANYTHING and my health anxiety is getting out of control because of that.   I need a hobby, that's what I need! :yes:
How about you? (what started you)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lam123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 07:14:14 PM »
I'm not exactly sure either. When I had my son I had a lot of anxiety regarding him, is he ok, all of that kind of new mom stuff, I just thought all new moms worried like this, but now I realize it was excessive. I then saw a therapist for awhile and was able to get that under control. But now i seems to have shifted to health anxiety. Honestly, some weeks I feel like I am at the dr every week, sometimes twice per week. I am trying to wait two weeks now, if symptoms are still there after two weeks then I will go to the dr.
For example, I have a small rash on the inside  both of my feet, went to the dr and she gave me cream, hasn't changed the rash at all. So I have to go back next Friday to get it cheked out, but in the meantime it is freaking me out. The internet is really horrible for this too. Internet is good or forums like this, but googling symptoms can consume a lot of my day sometimes.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 07:32:06 PM »
I stopped googling shortly after I joined this forum in January.  (well, if I MUST google I will put in benign things like, "Anxiety numb spot" or "Menopause chills" things like that rather than putting in symptoms.  This way I will be assured of only Anxiety and Menopause stuff coming up and not MS, ALS, seizures, brain tumor, etc!) - it has helped!  I was getting to the point of crying every afternoon, being miserable!  Now I'm more like myself.
I am scared to go to a doctor with symptoms because I am deathly afraid of tests, unless it's a simple thing he could just look at (weird mole, etc) or something that can be diagnosed with a urine sample or blood test,  I generally just wait for things to go away on their own.  One of my little "rules" is if it started suddenly and then stays exactly the same, I'm OK. (logically I say I'm OK, but I worry day and night about it anyway! I mean I wouldn't go to a doctor about it.) Most times it's because I feel stupid, other times it's because I couldn't possibly explain it, and other times it's I'm so afraid that he will give me bad news or suggest a test. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Allytiel90

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 07:54:50 PM »
Mine are very disturbing because they are real, and not perceived. I've been sweating at night over 4 months now and itching 3 months. I suspect lymphoma but I just had a specific blood test run for uric acid and lactate dehydrogenase which my dr. And his oncologist he refers too says are typically elevated with lymphoma. My numbers came back extremely normal but I know lymphoma can be a hard disease to pin down. :/ I'm 6 weeks preg too. So I'm especially freaked now.... I wonder if any new symptoms I have, like not feeling hungry for a lot of things or feeling a little tired is a lymphoma symptom or a preg thing.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: