Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: new cat has the sneezes and suspected fleas. black plague fear. seriously.  (Read 254 times)

Offline corwin

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
i can't believe i'm even making this post.

so today SHOULD be a happy day since i finally got to adopt a cat, and she's absolutely precious and we get along great. the only issue is that once i got her home, she started sneezing, which could be a sign of an upper respiratory infection. great. and for the past few hours she's been intermittently scratching and licking herself along her face and neck and i'm worried she has fleas.

even better, i'm worried that if she has fleas, these fleas are carrying diseases, that they're going to bite me (if they haven't already, i'm feeling itchy as i type this), and that i'm going to come down with the goddamn black plague and die. i kid you not.

i'm trying to be sardonic about this to keep from losing my mind but the anxiety is extremely real right now. when looking up what to do about a sneezy cat, i came across an article (on animalplanet no less) that mentioned some kid in arizona sharing a bed with his "sick" cat (that's how vaguely they worded it) and he came down with the black death and died. that's literally how they put it. it was the most irresponsibly worded article i've ever read but boy has it made me anxious anyway.

other than her sneezing and scratching, she's acting okay, but i'm worried it'll progress and she'll get super sick and i'll also get super sick and it'll just be one great big fun death fest all around. she's been in my bed too so now i'm afraid to sleep. great great great.

talk me down, please...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Reallyworried93

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I don't really know how to respond to this but here goes..
YOUR NOT GOING TO GET BLACK PLAGUE!
Cats always scratch even when they don't have fleas, and spend half their day licking themselves, even if your cat does have fleas, buy some drops for them and it will be fine, kills them off straight away.
Take your cat to the vet so they can have a look at what you think could be an infection and that should put your mind at rest.
You'll be fine. Enjoy your cat, what have you named her?
:)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lara71

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Your cat's fleas don't have the plague. But you have to take her to the vet. I don't think I've ever gotten a cat from a shelter that didn't have a respiratory infection.   
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
    • Poke This Member
That's so common for a cat to have fleas coming from a pound/shelter.  If there were any diseased fleas they would have already killed a lot of animals in the shelter and it would have been shut down.  Adopted mine from a shelter in 2000, he was 3.   I had another cat here at the time and he brought home fleas to my other cat - the flea problem was bad.  But a little OTC stuff for fleas took care of it.
My cat (yes, same old man :winking0008:) was sneezing lately, a LOT!  Finally after a month I had to take him to the vet - upper respiratory infection.  So things like that happen.  I hug hiim and kiss him and I am fine.   You will be fine! Just enjoy your cat :happy0151:

Bookmark and Share

Offline corwin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
you guys are great, thank you so much for replying. i don't know what got into me last night, i couldn't stop obsessing over the plague of all things (possibly THE most irrational fear i've ever had!)

she's acting much better today, no sneezing or scratching, so i think it was mostly the adopting and bringing her home that stressed her out. even still, we're gonna get her a vet within the next few days and get her a checkup just to make sure. i feel so lost, i haven't had a cat since i was five so this is a totally new experience for me! all of my health anxiety has shifted to this cat lol (this is why i could never be a parent even if i wanted to be, i'd be a mess!)

thank you guys again, sorry for such a silly post!
Bookmark and Share

Offline corwin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
You'll be fine. Enjoy your cat, what have you named her?
:)

whoops i forgot to reply to this! i'm still picking out some names but i'm leaning towards Sage, since she's very calm and rational unlike her owner.  :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline hypochondrius

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I hope you don't get the black plague, that would take an entire round of antibiotics to cure!
Bookmark and Share

Offline kristinsanxiety

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I just want to give you a hug lol. Vet assistant here! Sounds like an upper repository infection and your KITTY definitely should get some antibiotics. I've been around so many animals with fleas. SO many. Never got the black plague, never will. Neither will you! :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: fleas black plague