Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: First exercise - did I make a mistake?  (Read 376 times)

Offline NightBlizzard

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Just Breathe
    • Poke This Member
First exercise - did I make a mistake?
« on: March 05, 2014, 06:29:08 PM »
Okay so today (like... I want to say an hour ago so at like 5:30pm) I decided I was going to start with working out. Now let me preface by saying that I had a sandwich about... ehh... 2 hours prior (just a plain fish sandwich with some onion rings yum!)

And I'm not exactly in the best shape. I am skinny at 110lbs but my cardio and whatnot is terrible, if my metabolism could allow it I probably would be severely overweight. So I did a 15 minute workout, trying to breath and not over-exert myself, I wanted to go for the full 30 minutes but I just felt like I couldn't push myself as I haven't worked out since... probably high school which was 2 years ago.

After exercising I feel a little out of it. Like not exactly dizzy to the point of me falling over, but ''off''. I do feel more 'refreshed' and awake but I don't know if I did something wrong in my exercise to make me feel this way now, after I finished the workout I got myself a bottle of water and sat down to try and relax.
Bookmark and Share
"Grant that my hands be steady, my aim be true, and my feet swift. And should the worst come to pass - grant me forgiveness"

Offline Brittney

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: First exercise - did I make a mistake?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 07:21:19 PM »
Let me just say, it had been about 2 years since I've exercised and the first I did it (about 3 months ago) I did 6 minutes of Jillian michaels DVD and thought I was going to die... Literally!!!! My chest was extremely tight for about 30-45 minutes and I couldn't get a good deep breath... I of course went and saw my cardiologist a few days later who said I was just really out of shape! So her advice was to just start slow and go at your own pace. I felt "weird" after the exercise; sort of out of it. Hard to explain. Anyway, I waited about a week before I tried any other kind of exercise and when I started I only did 5 minutes the first day, 6 min the next and so forth..... I am now jogging in place. I smoke, so I stay out of breath, but I can tell a huge difference from the first day I tried exercising. Good luck and just keep trying! It's hard at first but it will get easier
Bookmark and Share

Offline MilSpouse

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 07:48:02 PM »
I'd say no - not a mistake!

My fears were all heart related, so that made me drop exercise for awhile when everything was being checked out. After I got the physical okay from my doctor, I started back up again, and the first couple weeks were awful! Not only was I out of shape, but I was so worried about my heart that it was really distracting and every ache and pain made me fearful.

But I stuck it out, and the exercise is helping a ton. I just ran a half marathon a couple weeks ago, and I have become a huge fan of CrossFit. Being able to work out like that (to me) confirms that my heart is healthy - because if it wasn't, I'd never make it through that stuff. So when my anxiety hits and my chest starts hurting, I can tell myself "you did x workout yesterday, your heart is fine." Plus, you ARE actually helping make yourself more healthy!

Stick with it, just be prepared for the learning curve. It will take awhile before you feel "comfortable" working out, especially if it's been that long for you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MilSpouse

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 07:58:22 PM »
Another tip - sign up for a class at a gym (if you can afford it). For me, having other people around made me feel more secure, because I knew someone would be there if something did actually happen, and the fear of embarrassment kept me from all out panicking! I didn't want to have a full-out panic attack in front of a bunch of people, and I was so bent on trying to keep up with everyone else that I focused more on that then any of the anxiety symptoms I was having.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lara71

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 09:00:38 PM »
A while back I was riding a stationary bike for 30 minutes at a time. I got on a real bike and thought I was going to puke after 4 blocks.
Bookmark and Share

Offline CrazyQuacker75

• Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 09:16:24 PM »
When you start to exercise ease into it, trust me you're gonna feel funky when you first start, you're doing and using a whole lot of things your body may not be used to doing, and most importantly get a stretching routine, the sooner the better, the body loves a good stretch pre/post work out and will make you feel loads better.
Bookmark and Share
In the race against myself

Offline 2jrts

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 06:55:09 AM »
I started running last July after quite awhile of inactivity. I started with the "Couch to 5k" plan, available on line and as an app. I completed it in 9 weeks and went from hardly able to run for 1 minute to running 2-3 miles every other day. It's a great program and a good way to ease back into exercise. BTW I am a lot older than you, so you should have even better results.  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Online terri

• love life
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 08:01:54 AM »
this happened to me too!!!!! i am not 110, i wish. but let me tell you -- i had a full blown panic attack about......3 months ago when i got on a treadmill here at home and felt like i was off balance for a good hour or so. it was horrible.
Bookmark and Share

Offline floridaguy65

• Rec's: 175
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 08:52:25 AM »
You've gotten some good replies:)

Exercise is vital for HA peeps. VITAL. Tough to get started, often, when we really feel our bodies are failing us - somehow / someway, but we sure do need to push through and get to taxing our bods. What better way to, eventually, show our tired minds that we are, overall, OK than to be able to exercise well. Of course, starting slow and working our way up is the key. Also, when we exercise and exert our muscles we will get sore, here and there. This is wonderful! This shows us we can have some pains and aches going on in our bod and it doesn't mean we are DYING:)

Exercise is one of the MAIN actions that led me down my healing path and continues to be a MAIN reason why I am still moving well down my healing path. My body (and definitely my mind) crave the physical stuff...and I don't like to miss workouts:) But, with anxiety, we might tend to fixate and obsess on things quite abit. So, keep our exercising regimens 'normal' and not too excessive. A healthy balance is a wonderful way to live:)

The most difficult phase of exercising is beginning our regimens. So, this can be fuel to keep us going with it. Why start and then stop for a period of time and then start up again (and have all the beginning difficulties AGAIN:)? Keep it going....nice and consistent....and it's terrific. Consistency is something that anxiety peeps might struggle with, at times, as we might be having a rougher go of it with our anxiety, perhaps. But, keep in mind that, when we feel 'off' or anxious, working out can REALLY help us get back on track, as far as helping minimize anxiety:)

Peace and Feel Well:)
Bookmark and Share

Online terri

• love life
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 09:41:47 AM »
i agree with him ^^

but i also understand how hard it is to jump back on the bandwagon of working out when you've experienced something like this that gets you all riled up and/or scared. kind of like..... if someone has a poor experience at a doctor's office. more than likely, they won't be back.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: