Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Experiences with Celexa?  (Read 163 times)

Offline Hales91

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Experiences with Celexa?
« on: March 05, 2014, 06:17:19 PM »
I was recently prescribed 20mg of Celexa for my Anxiety. I've suffered from anxiety for as long as I can remember, but it seemed to spiral out of control back in October and then once again about January. I haven't been able to snap out of it this time unfortunately. I'm waking up almost every single night, feeling short of breath, shaky, heart pounding. And through out the day I just feel "out of it" my whole left side of my body has this weird sensation. And I especially notice it when I'm tired which seems to be more than normal. I'm just a mess. But like I said, my doctor finally prescribed me Celexa and i of course did my "research" online about it and it freaked me out enough to decide not to take it. But my question is, what have your guys personal experiences been with it? What should I expect? Idk I'm just so scared but I've resided myself to the fact that I NEED it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Experiences with Celexa?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 07:22:22 PM »
Hello Hales, and welcome to Anxiety Zone...

I have been on Celexa (Citalopram), for four months now.  It has really helped me with my generalized anxiety disorder, panic attacks, and slight depression that I had.  The first thing to dissipated was my depression.  It has been several months since I have had a full blown panic attack, and I would say that I generally feel 80-90% better then before I started the Celexa.

I know that researching anti-depressants on the Net can be scary, but as with any medication, pharmaceutical companies have to disclose all the side effects that could possible occur.  Some individual do not experience any side effects at all, when starting an anti-depressant, and some have just minor ones.  If side effects do occur, they normally last only a few weeks

If you decide to start the Celexa, and since you also suffer from anxiety, I would suggest you begin with a 10 mg dose.  Starting at a lower dose can help to limit side effects.  After a week to 10 days, you can increase the dose to 20 mg.  Do check with your physician first, before starting the lower dose, if you do decide to take the Celexa.

Anti-depressants don't work like other medications you might be familiar with.  When you take an aspirin for a headache, you expect results in 30-60 minutes.  Anti-depressant, such as Celexa, work by encouraging the growth of new brain cells in the hippocampus region of the brain.  Cells in this region can be destroyed by stress hormones such as cortisol, causing a default setting of anxiety/panic attacks/depression.  Anti-depressants take 3 to 12 weeks to work, and one with usually see degrees of improvement during this time.

Celexa is a great anti-depressant, and it has helped some thirty million people.  Whether you take it or not, is certainly up to you.

The very best to you, Hales!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: