Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: does anyone want to talk about panic and anxiety attacks?  (Read 142 times)

Offline sally1959

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
does anyone want to talk about panic and anxiety attacks?
« on: March 05, 2014, 06:13:16 PM »
I am feeling very alone right now and would like to discuss what goes on in our heads when we have intense anxiety, if anyone can relate please do respond.

I used to get both panic and anxiety attacks that would result in the thought/feeling that "I'm dying" that everyone knows pretty well. I still get those, pretty frequently actually.

In the months since I started therapy my anxiety attacks have taken on new thoughts, I will have this intense panic that is brought on by thoughts of hopelessness in my life. Not feel like I'm dying, but feel like my mental struggles will plague me forever, and I'll never be able to enjoy life. I will get very scared, wondering if life has any meaning at all, wondering if I need to get treatment for depression. Honestly, these thoughts are worse than the ones before. I will have good days and bad days, though. Some days I feel SO much better than I used to, my life isn't the roller coaster that it used to be emotionally. Some days I can just relax, drive, study, and feel fine. Which is nice, because before I would either be so low with anxiety (and accompanying depression) or it's like the anxiety would crack and give me a "high" which was exhausting.

I wonder if my thoughts are getting worse because they are coming to a head, like the brain is resistant to change and so the anxiety will get worse and worse and I just need to continue to treat it and respond to it as my therapist tells me to, and it WILL go away. Like, is this a sign the treatment is working? Of course, paradoxically, anxiety itself will tell me this isn't true, that I'll never get better, and make me think negatively.

I'm going to talk about this stuff with my therapist in three weeks, until then I'm going to continue my anti-anxiety strategies (basically meditation and also responding to anxiety attacks neutrally, also examining my thoughts and trying to change them). This is exhausting sometimes though. I've never heard from someone who has anxiety, who said "It gets better" which scares me. Does anyone else want to talk about this?
Bookmark and Share

Offline LawlietShoujo

• Rec's: 0
  • What's meant to be will always find a way.
    • Poke This Member
Re: does anyone want to talk about panic and anxiety attacks?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 06:43:03 PM »
I will gladly talk to you about it, if you want. I struggle with anxiety for quite some time now, but I recently I've managed to feel more positive about it. I have my ups and downs, but I always try to keep calm. We can use this topic to chat, or you can PM me, whichever you prefer! :D
Bookmark and Share
"If you want to escape the everyday, you must constantly evolve."

Offline Billie

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 06:56:52 PM »
I struggle with OCD and anxiety. I'd be happy to chat with you. Feel free to message me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sally1959

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 07:00:17 PM »
Thanks guys. I don't mind just reading other people's responses on this forum. Whatever anyone has as input is alright with me :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline shayne9999

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 07:47:03 PM »
I suffer from anxiety for 26 yrs so if i can helpt me know.
Bookmark and Share

Offline LawlietShoujo

• What's meant to be will always find a way.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 07:53:32 PM »
Well, as I said, I have been struggling with GAD for a while now. At first it would stop me from doing almost everything: going to school, for example, used to be a nightmare, because I'd always have terrible anxiety attacks during classes. I stopped going out with my friends, and pretty much isolated myself because of my disorder (back then I had no idea what it was about).
I'm telling you this because nowadays I've gotten a lot better. I still have to deal with my anxiety, and sometimes it wins. But in comparison to how it used to be... Well, the progress was fantastic. So yeah, it does get better.
Bookmark and Share
"If you want to escape the everyday, you must constantly evolve."

Tags: