Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Nausea From Anxiety  (Read 189 times)

Offline Ryze

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Nausea From Anxiety
« on: March 05, 2014, 04:35:22 AM »
New user here and not sure if this is the right place to post this. I had developed a sinus infection almost overnight and was nauseous the next day. Ended up getting extremely light headed and fainted. Went to the doctor and was prescribed antibiotics and pretty much told it should go away within a week. It's been about two months now and I still feel intermittent nausea. I've been to the doctor again recently and had blood work done and he couldn't find anything wrong except some fluid in my ears and nasal inflammation. I was given some steroids for the inflammation and antibiotics again. While I do feel better, I still have intermittent nausea throughout the day. I have noticed however that if I do something to stay busy such as do schoolwork or go for a drive the feeling goes away. While I've never had any anxiety related issues (both mother and grandmother have), the more I read up on Hypochondria the more it seems like I have some of the symptoms such as not wanting to go to the doctor or thinking that minor symptoms could be something worse and looking them up, although I never constantly sit there and think about them. While I don't believe that my nausea is something more serious, I'm starting to believe that anxiety could be causing it. Almost as if I expect it to happen. I've haven't vomited at all these last two months except the first day I got sick and I have no trouble keeping food or liquids down. But it seems like as soon as I wake up my thoughts go to if I'm going to feel sick or I should eat something before I feel sick. If I go to the mall for example I'll always think I hope I don't feel nauseous again and either be fine or start feeling nauseous and leave but as soon as I get back to my car and start driving home I usually feel better. I even carried around some crackers and a water bottle for a while when I left the house "just in case". While it is possible that the nausea could still be from the sinus infection or antibiotics, the fact that the feeling goes away when I stay busy makes me think it's all in my head. I've been unemployed for a while now as well so I mostly spend all day sitting at home by myself so there could be some stress there as well though subconsciously. Long story short I guess, is it possible to make yourself nauseous by expecting to be?
Bookmark and Share

Offline terri

• Rec's: 1
  • love life
    • Poke This Member
Re: Nausea From Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 07:46:22 AM »
i have never been that way over anxiety alone. BUT, i have felt sort of dizzy when anxious, which has then caused me to feel sick.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 11:23:33 AM »
That's where anxiety hits me - it started when I was in third grade!  If I were going to go over a friends house I'd be waiting for the parent to pick me up and start getting really nauseated!  When I would be on vacation with my parents when younger (kid to late teen) they'd get mad because I'd always say, "I'm not hungry, my stomach is upset"  That feeling has been going on so long it's just a part of ME now.  (that MAY be how I stay thin!  LOL) - if I start thinking about it NOW my stomach gets all heavy and bloated feeling.  Since it only happens when you think about it (and you are now FOCUSING on it) I'd say you are bringing it all on yourself.  You can bring anything on by focusing on it for long enough.  (seriously focusing, I mean if you do a test and say, "I am going to focus on my foot and see if it hurts", it won't - unless you were REALLY concerned about it and focusing on it)
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 65
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 11:59:49 AM »
Welcome to anxietyzone. My GI physician said that GERD, post nasal drip, stress, etc., can all cause anxiety.
My GI also told me that in some cases, the cause of nausea is never found.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Ryze

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 07:48:38 PM »
Welcome to anxietyzone. My GI physician said that GERD, post nasal drip, stress, etc., can all cause anxiety.
My GI also told me that in some cases, the cause of nausea is never found.

Yeah I considered all those things, and I'd most likely say it's a reaction to the antibiotics or post nasal drip. However the fact that it seems to go away when I do something even if I haven't eaten anything plus the fact that I've never actually vomited makes me think it could be stress or anxiety related. My doctor gave me some Xanax .25 mg to take "as needed" since all this was stressing me out but said he doesn't really want me taking them since I'm only 23.

When he said I had some fluid in my ears my first thought was vertigo but my balance is fine and I've never felt like the room was spinning. Just an uncomfortable feeling in the back of my throat.
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything