Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: How do I manage to calm down?  (Read 203 times)

Offline LawlietShoujo

• Rec's: 0
  • What's meant to be will always find a way.
    • Poke This Member
How do I manage to calm down?
« on: March 05, 2014, 01:39:53 AM »
Hello, everyone. I'm new in the group, and I came here because I've recently decided that maybe talking to other people who go through the same thing I go through could help me. If you don't mind, I would like to give you some context for you to understand my situation:

I'm Brazilian, 18, and I'm a student of International Negotiations. My anxiety attacks apparently began in 2010, but as I was talking to a psychologist, I realized that I'd already had symptoms before that year. Things just got worse in 2010 because it was a period of deep sadness and emotional breakdown (not sure if I can classify that as depression, I'm no expert on the subject, and my visits to the psychologist were interrupted). Nowadays I can now control myself a little better, and I can do things that would have been impossible for me in the past. However, in June of this year, I will face a challenge greater than any other I've faced so far: I will study abroad, in Canada, for almost three months. Just by imagining how it'll be, I begin to feel ill, so I know I need to start taking more drastic actions now, while I'm still three months away from the trip. Plus I'm graduating next year and I know I can't keep letting anxiety win if I want to enter the labor market, especially in the area I want.

When I have my anxiety attacks, what makes me lose control is the nausea and the urge to use the washroom. If I'm just nervous, hands sweating, heart pounding, or with my legs somewhat numb, I can still control myself and finish the task I've been given. But when I get nauseous and start feeling the urge to go to the washroom, I lose my mind completely, and allow the anxiety to take over. I try my best to breathe calmly, think of something else, repeat to myself I'll be okay, but it does not work. If those two symptoms come in, nothing goes right, my progress goes downhill immediately. I have emetophobia and irritable bowel syndrom, so these two things are closely related to my main symptoms and why they make me lose my mind.

Guys, I'm gonna spend 10 hours and 15 minutes in an airplane, I don't wanna freak out there... And in Canada, I'll stay in my boyfriend's house, so I don't want to embarrass myself in front of him and his family. They all know of my anxiety, and always try to help me, but I still don't want to be prevented from enjoying my trip because of my GAD. I've lost a lot of nice opportunities because of it... Do you guys have any idea of what would help me? I'm very, very desperate, and willing to do whatever it takes to control my problem. I'm not even exactly focused on getting rid of my anxiety in general. I know it takes a while. Right now I just wanna learn to at least stay calm and deal with my main symptoms.

Recently I started to learn knitting, and also started trying to meditate once a day. I am willing to change my eating habits completely, even if I have to eat stuff I don't like.

Please, please, I need help... I can't afford seeing a psychologist and I don't know what else to do. My parents do not fully understand GAD, and I know they mean well, but they have been really harsh on me in regards to my anxiety. I think they believe if they're tough on me, I'll be tough on my anxiety, but that's not how it works. It just makes me more nervous.

I can't let anxiety win this round. I have already attempted ***** because of it, but now I know better and I have more faith in myself. I know I can do this, guys, I know I can overcome this, but I feel like I'll lose my hope completely if this trip goes wrong... Please, help...
Bookmark and Share
"If you want to escape the everyday, you must constantly evolve."

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 163
    • Poke This Member
Re: How do I manage to calm down?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 05:54:14 AM »
One day at a time. Even one hour at a time. We never look past the hour we are living in. When we begin to do we begin to see possible problems. Then the mind takes over. It begins to focus on these possible problems. And we are living next week before it ever comes. So live today, today. Next week hasn't happened as of yet. When it comes around we will deal with it then and only then. This is a major part of anxiety. Thinking too far ahead of ourselves. From what you write it would appear you have something called ' Emetaphobia '. What is that I hear you ask? It is a fear of throwing up. A good lot of us have it. Your anxiety seem to get much worse when you feel like you might get sick. Don't know if you really fear throwing up. Or just see it as some sort of thing that makes you more anxious. It is something I have too. I take medication for it. Not saying the medication does anything. Might just give me peace of mind. Like a safety blanket. Other than that I find music to be of great help to me. I don't go anywhere without my music. Gives me something to focus on. You can also see if you can find any good self help books. The likes of ' Mind over Mood '. Be you own therapist. Such a book would give you things to try out. It is a work book. Very easy to work with. Breathing is also very important. How to breathe the right way. Loads of videos on You Tube that can teach you all of this. Just search for them and learn from them. Keeping a journal is good too. To see if you are making any progress and if you can make certain small changes in any area of what you are doing. If effect you would be your own therapist again. It does help that your boyfriend's family know you have anxiety. That means you have nothing to hide at all. That is a big plus. Be worse if they didn't know. Just take it hour by hour. Don't jump too far ahead of yourself. Look into self help books and breathing.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Mishpaz

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 07:15:43 AM »
Hello, I too have an especially hard time with flying in particular. I have found a video which has been helpful. If you google 'panic away flying video' you should find a helpful video on flying with anxiety. I still have to take medication before I board. If you can get something from your doctor like Ativan that is sublingual, under the tongue, that can be useful. It is faster acting and may help you from having a full blown attack. You said you had started knitting. That is a very useful distraction. Check with your airline. Some airlines will allow knitting needles on board. I also pack a word search puzzle book for distraction.
Bookmark and Share

Offline LawlietShoujo

• What's meant to be will always find a way.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 06:38:56 PM »
I have emetophobia, yes, which makes me even more nervous when the nausea kicks in. Imma look for the workbooks, and the video. I dunno if I'm gonna be able to get medicine, but I'll look into that as well, just in case, y'know?
By the way, a word search puzzle sounds like a very good idea, in case they won't let me knit in the plane.
Bookmark and Share
"If you want to escape the everyday, you must constantly evolve."