Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety about getting married!  (Read 122 times)

Offline SummerSun41

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety about getting married!
« on: March 04, 2014, 11:07:19 PM »
I feel like a total weirdo. There are two sides of my recently- the anxious one, and the normal, rational one. I think this is leading to a breakthrough for my GAD and I feel so close to being "over it" but there are a few things holding me back...

Such as my anxiety about getting married. The logical, non-anxious side of me is incredibly excited. I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with my very best friend. We have amazing chemistry and have been together almost 4 years already. Although our relationship had a rocky start from a not-so-great situation, we have grown together and have an awesome relationship that all my friends say they're "so jealous" of. We truly love each other and can be ourselves around each other.

But for some reason, I'm anxious about it too. I am scared of moving out of my family's house where I've lived since birth (never been on my own), and I'm scared about being alone in the evenings & during the night while my future hubby works nightshift. I'm not moving far away at all- about twenty minutes, maximum (not sure yet, we're just starting to look at houses) so I know I can always go see them whenever I want. I'll be seeing them one a week at the least because our family gets together on Sundays. I worry about being able to maintain a household and all the daily responsibilities that come along with it. I'm just generally worried about all the changes that will happen and whether I'll be able to handle them. I get anxious even when my mom asks when we're going to go look at wedding dresses! That's just ridiculous, right?! Haha. I just don't understand why I can't just be excited and EMBRACE all these changes with confidence instead of being so anxious and scared about them. Maybe I have attachment issues with my parents? Maybe I'm just too childish to be doing such a grown-up thing? I do like kid movies and all things Disney-related, but I think that's just being a 23 year old girl (or maybe that's weird, I don't know!). I just feel very insecure about this whole transition process and I want to change it. I feel bad because my fiance is honestly the most wonderful person and we're a perfect match so I know it as nothing to do with him- it's all me and all in my head! Any advice or relatable stories would be great!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety about getting married!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 06:01:11 AM »
You do know it is normal for anybody, anxiety folk or not, to be nervous about getting married and all the changes it brings with it. I remember my own mother telling me how anxious she was when she got married. She doesn't have an anxiety disorder at all. It can be daunting to most people. Can they do all these things. Just when you look at everything it seems like so much. But you will be doing things one at a time when the time comes around. Moving out of the family home can be a big step too. I am sure you will have enough to keep you busy. But if find any silent time just find something to do. So your mind won't have time to think. As it is now you are living in the future well before it even happens. Just take it day by day. I am sure you will make a great wife. I am sure you will be perfect once you get settled in. I would class it as just normal nerves.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Tags: