Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Pregnenolone  (Read 218 times)

Offline chvys102000

• Rec's: 1
  • Every day is I wake up is a good day.
    • Poke This Member
Pregnenolone
« on: March 04, 2014, 01:32:20 PM »
My new doc prescribed this to me today. Is anyone familiar with it or have takin it.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 105
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Pregnenolone
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 04:34:15 PM »
My new doc prescribed this to me today. Is anyone familiar with it or have takin it.

It is a neuro active steroid hormone which is claimed to reduce anxiety by modulating GABA(A) receptors. From the little feedback I've had, it seems to help some and not others.

The biggest negatives seems to be than in some it can trigger heart palpitations/irregular heart beats, and it may be quite stimulating and cause insomnia.

If it doesn't work, or the side-effects are too uncomfortable, ask for hydroxyzine, a antihistamine with anti anxiety properties if this doctor is a benzophobe, which seems likely.

In the long term an antidepressant would be a better bet than either pregnenolone, hydroxyzine, or the benzodiazepines.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline chvys102000

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 08:06:55 PM »
I'm very tired all the time and have hardly any energy. Also my libido has seemed to decrease some. She lowered my Prozac from 40 mg to 20. Also prescribed an essential 5 and 1. She seems to think it will be a night and day difference for me. I'm at wits end. I just want to feel better.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 10:39:24 PM »
I'm very tired all the time and have hardly any energy. Also my libido has seemed to decrease some.

It may well boost your energy levels. I don't know if it will help with the libido. Given the circumstances it may be worth trying.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline chvys102000

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 10:47:23 PM »
I've started taking it but only every other day. Seems to have helped some. I wonder if I should take it every day. I'm a whimp when it comes to taking/trying new stuff.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 11:52:24 PM »
I wonder if I should take it every day. I'm a whimp when it comes to taking/trying new stuff.

It's best to take it as prescribed. It only has a short half-life so taking it every day is not going to do anymore than it already is on the days you are taking it.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline chvys102000

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 10:11:39 PM »
Thanks for the info
Bookmark and Share

Tags: