Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: my wife's thyroid nodules  (Read 316 times)

Offline tiredOfOcd

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
my wife's thyroid nodules
« on: March 04, 2014, 12:20:59 PM »
she has had them for at least 5 years.

the dr has been watching them.

some have been getting bigger.  according to what i read, they do that.

thyroid cancer is rare.  thyroid nodules are common.

2-3 years ago she had a fine needle aspiration.  my HA went absolutely crazy.  the results were negative.  she was fine.

the dr.'s kept watching them.

one has grown 1 or 2 millimeters.  she is trying to decide if waiting and watching is ok or if she should have another test. 

she's saying she'll have another test if it will make me feel better.

my HA is trying to go off the charts.  i'm fighting it.  hard.  control is a moment to moment thing. 

i'm doing the coping strategies the therapists have given me.

regardless what we do - i've been here before.  i know the waiting will increase my HA.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: my wife's thyroid nodules
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 02:54:36 PM »
Ok, as someone with thyroid issues myself, let me see if I can offer some help.

First of all, I want to commend you on being so concerned about your wife's health. I've got the HA in the family, and my husband thinks I'm crazy half the time. It would be nice to be shown a little more concern!

Anyway, I regularly see an endocrinologist to deal with my hashimoto's hypothyroidism, and when talking with him, he reassured me that yes, thyroid cancer is rare. However, if you do end up getting it (or in this case, your wife), that is THE cancer to get, because the survival rate is almost 98%. I have a girlfriend that had a goiter on her thyroid along with nodules and the doctor recommended that her thyroid be removed. She had the surgery, and when it went to pathology, it turns out she did, in fact, have thyroid cancer at the ripe old age of 24. She needed no further treatment. The surgery was enough. No chemo, no radiation, nothing. I do want to say that she's been on meds ever since to replace her thyroid, and is actually currently 38 weeks pregnant with her first child.

I want to do the best I can to reassure you that because he doctor's have been keeping such a close eye on her thyroid, the chances are pretty low that she would have thyroid cancer. Think of it this way - if there was the slightest worry regarding the doctors, do you think they'd risk their medical license for not recommending surgery? No way. If the doctors even suspected cancer in the slightest bit, they'd be removing that thyroid ASAP - they don't want the risk of being sued.

Also, my endo mentioned to me during this conversation that thyroid cancer is always very slooooooow growing. It's almost always caught when it's localized just to the thyroid and hasn't spread. And with the doctors eyeing her thyroid, there's no way they'd miss that. There's no way it would have a chance to spread because she's being monitored so closely.

I don't know if statistics make you feel better, but if they do, here is a website regarding statistics in thyroid cancer. I want to warn you though, if statistics DO NOT usually make you feel better, please do not click on the link. I don't want you to see the numbers and think "well, there's one in a million chance, so my wife MUST be that one."

http://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/thyro.html

I hope I've helped!
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 02:56:20 PM »
Oh, and I want to mention on that website, it states that the survival rate for localized thyroid cancer is 99.9%. So even higher then just thyroid cancer in general  :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Offline tiredOfOcd

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 03:09:47 PM »
bpadilla49

thank you very much and yes, that is quite a help.

i am well aware of the seer sight and it gives me a great deal of comfort.

i know NOT to google general symptoms/information but numbers don't normally do that.  I've got my HA under control enough to know that 1 in a million is pretty good odds AGAINST. 

my health anxiety is just tiresome.  i know it well enough to know when its going to kick up.  i know forewarned is forearmed, but knowing that I'm going on the HA roller coaster ride AGAIN is not comforting.  especially since i know what to expect.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 03:20:06 PM »
I can understand with the HA being tiresome. I can most definitely relate.

Does her endocrinologist do ultrasounds in the office? If so, why not go along with her for the ultrasound scan? If the doctor doesn't do ultrasounds in office, and you need to be referred out to an imaging center, ask the doctor to order a STAT ultrasound. It doesn't cost anything extra, but you'll usually get the results the same day you have the test. Ask her doctor to call her as soon as he has the results, that way, the wait isn't too long. And the day of the scan, why don't you schedule it first thing in the morning, both of you take the day off work, have the STAT scan done, go out to lunch, do some shopping, go see a movie. Anything to distract you. And when the doctor calls you'll have your answer. If he recommends another FNA, then ask if you can have that STAT as well. Hey, there's no harm in asking! And most doctors don't see the harm in simply writing "STAT" on the orders...especially if they're aware of your anxiety. Doctors understand that the waiting can be hard, both for the patient and the loved ones. And if they don't understand, find another doctor!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: