Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: period issues still...don't know what to do  (Read 274 times)

Offline dancer67

• Rec's: 6
    • Poke This Member
period issues still...don't know what to do
« on: March 04, 2014, 09:50:46 AM »
So, I posted a while ago about my periods. I am 46. Since January, I have started spotting on day 18. I used to start spotting on days 22-25. Getting my periods around days 25-30. And now I start bleeding on days 20 and last month it was day 22. I am only going it seems, about 8 days with no beeding. Today is day 18 and I am spotting once again. I get cramps so I am miserable as it is. I had an endo biopsy last month which was completely negative. I don't know what to do. I can't put up with this every month. Yet I don't want to do anything drastic in case it decides to stop. I am ready to say take it out. But I am petrified of surgery. I do NOT want an ablation. My periods are not heavy, just coming to close together. This is taking over my life. I am begining to wonder if there is something else going on. I just can't keep going a week in between periods. This is ridiculous. I don't know what to do. I am scared and upset.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lynxana

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
    • Poke This Member
Re: period issues still...don't know what to do
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 10:05:56 AM »
What about perimenopause? I'm going through it right now and I have the spotting, irregular periods, seems shorter in between and cramps are horrendous. 

Have you had a recent pap smear?  Any blood clots coming with them?

In this situation I'd be drastic you need to make sure.  Menopause is a hard thing for women and hopefully it is just the onset of that. 

I know it's scary but I'd go see your gynecologist to make sure.   
Bookmark and Share
I don't have issues...! I have the WHOLE subscription!

Offline dancer67

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 10:21:19 AM »
What about perimenopause? I'm going through it right now and I have the spotting, irregular periods, seems shorter in between and cramps are horrendous. 

Have you had a recent pap smear?  Any blood clots coming with them?

In this situation I'd be drastic you need to make sure.  Menopause is a hard thing for women and hopefully it is just the onset of that. 

I know it's scary but I'd go see your gynecologist to make sure.   

I was just at the GYN last month. I had an endo biopsy. Pap smear. All was good. He did say probably hormones/perimenopause. Funny thing is these last 3 times my period has not been as heavy as they normally are. They were kind of weird. I am just not sure if I should go back and have him do an ultrasound. I cannot take any BC pills. Don't want abalation because of my health anxiety. Wondering if it worked or even more changed going on with my body.

I just don't know how much longer I can take going only a week with no bleeding. It could go on for months. I don't know what to do.
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 10:30:56 AM »
When I read your age, I immediately thought of the start of menopause.  I'm 45 and my period has started to move around, too.  In my case, I've noticed that it keeps coming earlier and earlier each month.  I'm usually very accurate to the day so this new "earlier dates" is making me wonder if it's not the start of menopause.

About three years ago, I had two months straight of continuous light bleeding.  It was aggravating!  My doctor wanted to do the biopsy but I declined.  I chose to have an u/s instead which came back fine.  I think in that case, it was hormonal from having had my daughter a year earlier.  Anyway, after those two months, everything was back to normal.

I think if your doctor was concerned he would have scheduled an u/s for you.  You had the biopsy which came back negative so I really would think it's hormonal. 

I wouldn't do anything drastic.  Give it another month and then share your concerns with your doctor.  Fingers crossed it will straighten itself off.  I know how annoying that can be.
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Offline Lynxana

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 10:45:32 AM »
Yeah I think it is perimenopause.  famv5 is right your doctor would have shown a lot more concern.  It's tough girl, but something we all have to go through.  I'm 34 and I'm going through it.  I thought I had some time, but here I am.  I wouldn't worry too much it all came back negative, it will just be a quite a bit irritating.  Do what I'm doing prey the menopause will start soon!  Don't be scared if they suddenly do come on heavy or if you get strange black blood clots.  Freaked me out the first time I saw them.  Funnily enough I was at the ER at the time.  I pulled the nurse aside and I must have looked very scared when I asked her.  She said it was very normal.  You're going to experience a lot of oddities with your periods.  Just keep your regular appointments. 
Bookmark and Share
I don't have issues...! I have the WHOLE subscription!

Offline dancer67

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 11:16:06 AM »
Ok. I just freak when things change. And I am getting exhausted from these cramps coming every week or so. If I didn't have cramps, it wouldn't be so bad. Even ibuprofen doesn't help. My cramps are worse when I spot. Once I get my period they calm down. Weird. It has always been like that(Cramps during spotting). I am not even scheduled to see him until next Feb again. I will eep an eye on things. If things get worse I will call to go in again. My biggest fear was cancer, which has been ruled out. Thank goodness. But still in the back of my mind that what if there is something else.
Bookmark and Share

Offline dancer67

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 06:34:07 PM »
bumping for anyone else who  wants to chime in
Bookmark and Share

Offline ochar2830

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 07:28:46 PM »
Well, I will be 48 soon and although I still have monthly periods the patterns have changed on and off over the last 4 years - spotting, length of period (still spotting 14 days later), heavy bleeding, light bleeding, 28 days to 37 days) each month was different and like you I worried/panic every time which made my anxiety sky high throughout most of the month thinking about it all the time, wondering when it would come and how long it would last and what it would be like etc. I know for a fact my anxiety made it worse and caused most of these problems. Unfortunately, I have a fear of doctors so unless absolutely necessary I won't visit one for me, however, I do see an excellent Naturopath and my Psychiatrist who I discuss these concerns with. My Psychiatrist is fabulous because she is also around my age so therefore would be experiencing the same symptoms perhaps and also she is into natural wellness. I know if she had any concerns whatsoever she would make me see a doctor and I do speak to her about these things because after all she did study medicine before becoming a psychiatrist.

There are three things I found to have helped regulate my period in many ways. One is going gluten free and dairy free. I did this for 3 or 4 months 90% strictly and my period was great. Have slipped in recent months and have started eating gluten and some/little dairy. Hadn't noticed a change until the last month or so after going off diet for at least 3 months. My last two periods didn't come until day 35/36, however, I was highly stressed and depressed after moving house and suburbs so that would have contributed also. I found out that I am gluten intolerant and dairy intolerant. Now, with some people they can eliminate these foods for some time and then slowly introduce a little bit back into their diet or perhaps have the odd gluten product without it causing any symptoms. Gluten can cause many many problems including the reproductive area.

The other product I used was a 'Menopause Free' tablets by Fusion which contained Vitex amongst other herbs. I bought this at a health food shop. I live in Australia so Fusion is a well known brand here but you may be able to buy it in the US or no doubt they will have something similar. I took 2 tablets daily and the change of period in the second month was incredible - day 28, bleeding/spotting for up to 7 days. Great stuff.

And the last thing that helped was taking regular anti-anxiety medication.

I would probably guess that at 46 you are perimenopausal which can start 10 years before you actually hit menopause. Also at what age your mother went through menopause has some influence on when you may actually go through it too, so the experts say.

At least you have seen a doctor and he/she has ruled out anything serious, so that in itself should make you feel somewhat relieved.

I know how you are feeling and I wish you all the best.
Bookmark and Share
On a million worries I have had, only a couple of worries have ever happened to me Mark Twain

Offline dancer67

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 08:53:27 AM »
Thank you for chiming in. I am wondering though, why he didn't suggest testing my thyroid? This period coming every 15-18 days is crazy. I have had spotting before my periods now for about 7 years. And now I can't tell if I am spotting, or my period has started and it is just light for a few days before actually coming. I am just sick of having cramps. I can deal more with the bleeding then I can the cramps. My mother I think was 48 at menopause. I would rather be skipping cycles and going longer then having them come so close together. I have already been taking iron in the past. And that is when they were only coming once a month. But it seems now, the bleeding isn't as heavy. It is all so very strange. I just want it to be done for good. With health anxiety, all of this makes me just freak out.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: