Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Can anxiety cause weird visual effects when exercising?  (Read 225 times)

Offline Gomubukai

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Can anxiety cause weird visual effects when exercising?
« on: March 04, 2014, 02:29:53 AM »
Hi everyone

I want to know if anyone has experienced at weird visual or physical sensations when exersising?

I have high pressure in both eyes and when I excersise I get a feeling of pressure and a weird feeling like my eyes are going at different speeds which makes me dizzy.

My gp has told me that there are absolutely no conditions excersise doesn't help and my opthamologist told me that exersise may increase the pressure briefly but wouldn't cause any damage. He also had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned my symptoms as high eye pressure doesn't really have any...

Could this be anxiety from my whole body tensing up or something?  The dizziness and feeling like my eyes are seeing two different things (even though I can't pinpoint HOW they're different) are the most off putting.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bittersweetlife

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
Re: Can anxiety cause weird visual effects when exercising?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 07:19:03 AM »
I used to have this sudden vision spots like tiny spots flashes when i suddenly bend down! or roll over my head. And that was back in late 2012 and i am still here alive. Not to mention i am also having those "pressure sensation" back then around the bridge of my nose and in my eyes too.

I think it's normal to have those when you suddenly move your head in a odd position. Of course, at first when that happened to me i freaked out and thinking i had "have" a brain tumor or MS!

And now I am convincing myself that i had "have" a Hodgkin's Lymphoma! Oh how hard life is...
Bookmark and Share
"There's a time & a place to die.. but this ain't it"

Hakuna Matata - "It means no worries"

“Anxiety's like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you very far.” - Jodi Picoult, Sing You Home

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 07:43:38 AM »
If it really bothers you, I would tell your GP about your symptoms and concerns.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Gomubukai

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 08:43:00 AM »
Oh no... I think those replies are actually going to make me worry more...

I went to a gp and she wasnt too concerned and neither was my eye doctor, but I don't know how well I explained it.

Could it be eyes train or something?? I get it when I carry heavy bags or eat food that's too spicy as well???
Bookmark and Share

Offline bittersweetlife

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 12:09:53 AM »
No! please try to calm down hun. What you just experienced is also what i experienced too! No lies! I am here not just to reassure you but also to share you that i also experienced that during exercise/physical activity. Usually i was dancing that time and i was shaking my head and i suddenly i see a weird vision light spots and that time i also had this weird pressure feeling around the bridge of my nose and my eyes which led me to brain tumor/MS fears. But that was back in late 2012 and it's 2014 now still fine!

Bookmark and Share
"There's a time & a place to die.. but this ain't it"

Hakuna Matata - "It means no worries"

“Anxiety's like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you very far.” - Jodi Picoult, Sing You Home

Offline clippergoodwill

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 02:25:43 AM »
No visual auras, but sometimes when I work out I do experience strange symptoms. Most prevalent is when I do squats, those for some reason nearly always trigger lightheadedness. I used to run on the treadmill, a mile or two every day. So I'm used to my heart rate climbing up over 200bpm. Now when I run, my body feels like it freaks out, my anxiety flares up rapidly. I think it's because I didn't work out a lot from thanksgiving until now, and my body isn't used to it any more. So I'm working it back up to where its used to physical exertion every day.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gomubukai

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 02:46:12 AM »
Thanks for the responses!

I wouldn't call them auras or bright spots exactly... It feels like my eye is being pushed from behind or something. The pressure is above and below my eye as well and near my nose.

I had a ct of my sinuses done late last year, but they were clear and my gp said they can see the eye as well. I then had a very thorough eye exam by the opthamologist who diagnosed my high eye pressure.

I've been getting like a pressure/tightness feeling all over the right hand side of my skull and scalp lately too. And I get weird spells when I'm walking where I feel dizzy like I'm walking strangely and am about to fall on my butt. I've had like a sciatica pain in one of my legs since Christmas too...

Could it all be muscle tension and anxiety?

I want to exersise I really do. I just hate the dizzy/pressure feeling that comes with it in my eye. :(

Bookmark and Share

Offline livelaughlove

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 05:39:26 AM »
sounds like a strong vasovagal response maybe combined with a little bit dehydration/electrolyte disturbance maybe combined with the need to make your muscles not be tense. Do you stretch long enough before you exercise and also after you exercise? That is really important. The muscles in your neck are really important and you should do neck stretches every day, multiple times per day, along with isometrics. Keep up the exercise, that is good for you. Then anxiety did not cause this, it is a normal body function/reaction what you are experiencing. The anxiety started once you realized it and didn't understand why it happened, so now you are waiting for these weird sensations to happens and you are looking for them to happen. That's normal, too. I would suggest make sure you have a lot of carbs before you work out. After the workout have protein. Keep yourself hydrated. Wait a few minutes when you go from sitting to standing or laying down position, give your body a chance for the blood to flow through to everywhere so you don't get lightheaded and see floaters.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gomubukai

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 06:40:48 AM »
Well the activity Where I notice it most is climbing.

Just indoor so nothing too insane or any routes over 15 metres. But still even after the very first climb my eye feels 'tense' like something is pushing on it.

I probably don't warm up enough. I've also been avoiding it for months now because it makes me feel so off balance.

I just got a nasty message from a university tutor though that was quite upsetting and I noticed when I was walking just then the off balance feeling was really obvious. Like one leg was longer than the other and the floor kept moving.

So maybe that part is anxiety and tension and the eye thing is that other physiological response you mentioned?

I'm going to have high pressure in my eyes forever. I'm going to have to learn to get over this somehow. It feels HORRIBLE though when I try to climb :(
Bookmark and Share

Tags: