Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: After 1 year on meds am I better or worse?  (Read 416 times)

Offline rockbush

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
After 1 year on meds am I better or worse?
« on: March 03, 2014, 09:55:04 PM »
Hi All.
Haven't been here is a while. Some history; I am 53 years old and had panic attacks at 17 yrs old. on and off for some years and then in my late 20s I went through CBT for a few months. The results were wonderful and I forgot about the panic and anxiety. Never really had another panic attack until a year ago but for the past few years I have had GAD and some worry of health.

15 months ago I wake up with terrible pain in my neck. I can't move my my neck without extreme pain. Headaches, eye pain, and extreme anxiety. I go to emergency and my Blood pressure is real high so they give me 2 BP meds plus a pain killer. Then I begin fearing I have a blood clot in my brain/ spine and begin freaking out over this and my BP. After a week my pain is still bad and I get steroid shots in my neck. This freaks me out worse. My anxiety is climbing. My doc puts me on Busbar and now am taking 2 BP meds plus this. Go back to the doctor because of the pain and doc gives me a shot of Morphine and I freak out and think I am dying.

Go to the Pdoc and he gives me xanax. I start taking this and am worse. I begin having crying breakdowns and feel like dying. I have never ever been depressed in my life but now crying all day. I go back to the doc and he gives me Lexapro to add. From the moment I start on this I feel the anxiety increase more. As I increase my dosage I am in such bad shape. Cant drive from the panic, burning arms and chest, all kinds of strange things.

Still crying all the time and I decide to stop the xanax. after 2 of 3 months I stop the xanax and am up to 15 mg of lexapro. Slowly over the months and months my anxiety get a bit better and I can drive again and much of the bad anxiety stuff leaves.  After a few months of Physical Therapy my neck pain goes from a level 8 to about a 3. Then I herniate a disk in my back and go through a few more months of therapy

My anxiety seems pretty low now but I have all kinds of strange things going on and most of the times I am convinced it is from the Lexapro. I am tired all the time. If I am not extremely busy i will fall asleep in the middle of the afternoon. It is like a constant stressor to just stay awake and focused.  I have constant restless leg issues and cramping. It is really distressing and while i am so tired when I lye down my legs spasm and ache.  Also My constant jaw clenching and grinding. I just before yawned and pulled a muscle in my jaw. dam the pain and cant open my mouth. I just feel like my body is in constant tension but with no panic attacks. It is odd. Then I get dizzy a lot. or more like light headed. One day I feel good the next I feel terrible with one of these things.  My Pdoc tells me these are not from the Lexapro but I dont believe him.

I want to quit the lexapro but dont want to get back in a bad state. I am scared and feel stuck in a drugged state. I dont know if these things I feel are anxiety or anxiety/side effects from the Lexapro. My doc tells me to increase the dosage but I really feel this will make me worse. or maybe i am just confused and mistaken and an increase will make me feel great but I dont want to take the chance.

Any advice from someone that has been here would be helpful.  Thanks
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 126
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: After 1 year on meds am I better or worse?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 11:07:23 PM »
My Pdoc tells me these are not from the Lexapro but I dont believe him.

The yawning definitely is, as almost certainly is the jaw clenching. The other symptoms may or may not be.

I want to quit the lexapro but dont want to get back in a bad state. I am scared and feel stuck in a drugged state.

It is relatively easy to do an overnight switch from one SSRI to another. There may be side-effects for a few days, but most cope well with a switch. Given that sedation has been a problem with Lexapro then Prozac (fluoxetine) may be a good choice as it is normally the most stimulating of the SSRIs, but Zoloft (sertraline) should also be considered.

Ian

Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all suggestions are general in nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: