Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: I love my fiance too much. I can't enjoy my time with him.  (Read 206 times)

Offline skleep

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I love my fiance too much. I can't enjoy my time with him.
« on: March 03, 2014, 07:21:18 PM »
I got engaged in December and I have been worrying about my fiance's safety non stop.  I love him so much and I can't even enjoy the time I spend with him because I am so worried about catastrophes that may or may not occur at some point in the future- right now my obsession is avian flu (we live in the USA) and earthquakes.  Generally, I worry about things I have zero control over.  When the regular flu hit this year, I freaked out about my fiance dying from it.  I just want to enjoy him without constantly worrying about him.  Sometimes, there isn't even a distinct thing I worry about- I'm just sad/worried in general because I feel like I love him too darn much.

Has this happened to anyone else?  How did you overcome it?  Right now I'm trying to limit the amount that I research things...
Bookmark and Share

Offline VGH

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: I love my fiance too much. I can't enjoy my time with him.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 03:52:40 AM »
Hi Skleep,

Congratulations on your engagement!

While I have never felt like I loved someone too much, I have lived with the feeling that something awful would happen to my loved ones. I had a hard time a few years ago worrying about my parents dying suddenly, like in a car accident. I have also worried a lot about my Mom. I still have these worries though not as bad.

My conditions tend to come and go (though they dont go away completely) so that could be how I overcame it, meaning that my anxiety subsided for a while. But I did have some insight into my worrying about loved ones 2 years ago. A lot of it came down to low self esteem, I thought that all the people I loved and anything that brought me happiness would be taken away from me because I felt like I did not deserve them. I am not saying that is you have low self esteem, just that is what I found for myself.

Worrying about things beyond your control I think is pretty typical to GAD. Natural disasters, your health, world/political events, your loved ones... All stuff you dont have much control over. All I can say is to just do your best in taking care of your health and encouraging your loved ones to do so as well. I would add that if you are in a more calm state of mind and something does happen, like an earthquake, you will respond much better than if you are panicked to begin with. I know thats easier said than done. I do try to practice deep breathing to stay calm, but mostly I just try and do things to keep my mind busy so I don't think about things. That is not necessarily healthy so I would suggest just trying things that are supposed to be calming, like meditation, yoga, deep breathing etc.

Finally I do think it is a good idea to not research things. I know that can be very helpful to people suffering from GAD. If you can take a break from your computer for 1 day or just from researching and fill in that time with something you like to do or something to reduce stress you may find it helps.

I really hope you can get some relief from this, I wish you all the best!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Natsab87

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 05:17:56 AM »
I have this exact same feeling the majority of the time and am having CBT to try and overcome it. I believe things in my past have made this a million times worse. Hearing about the death of loved ones and old friends, family members getting ill etc.

I have only had a few CBT sessions but she did tell me that no amount of me worrying is going to stop something catastrophic happening. I am not managing to actually take this in and control my worrying but I really hope I can! She also said, although it's fine to rely on loved ones alot and rely on them to make you happy, essentially you need to make yourself happy.

Whilst I agree with what she's saying, I'm having a damn hard time trying to actually stop the worry! I want to be content and to live my life with my boyfriend and live for today.. not worry about the future and remember the past. Why is it so hard?!
Bookmark and Share

Offline skleep

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 03:23:42 PM »
Sorry I'm late, but thanks for both of your responses!  It's true, sometimes I do not feel like I deserve my fiance.  I used to have the same issue with my mother :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: