Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Panic attack lasts all day?  (Read 409 times)

Offline helplessdancer

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Panic attack lasts all day?
« on: March 03, 2014, 07:16:00 PM »
I haven't been on the site for ages because I've generally been doing better, but sadly things have taken a turn for the worse. I don't usually have panic attacks, although I guess I feel panicky a lot (seemingly for no reason) for a short period of time. A lot of times I will feel like I have sort of a ball of tension in my chest, and if I hyperventilate for a couple of minutes it will usually kind of go away. I'm sure that's not a good thing, but it makes it go away and I can always control my breathing, so I could stop hyperventilating if I wanted to, it would just mean that feeling is still there.

However, today is just awful. I feel like I've been having a sort of low grade panic attack basically since I woke up. I've felt like I needed to hyperventilate all the time, and if I do, it doesn't really do much. It's like my brain is telling my body "You need to breathe right now!!!" even though I'm getting enough air. So I've not really been breathing normally all day and it's making my chest hurt (like my ribs), which leads to more panic because what if it's not stress and it's something else really bad? And now I'm exhausted because I've just been so on edge all day. I feel like I'm constantly holding my breath even though I try to breathe normally. Has anyone else had a similar thing happen before?

Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: Panic attack lasts all day?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 05:34:59 AM »
The main question to ask is ' what different happened today to cause a panic attack that won't go away '? You had been doing so good for so long. I don't believe an all day panic attack can happen for no reason at all. So we look for something that triggered the attack off. I have no doubt you can get back to where you were before this episode. This is just a setback. That is how you should view it. If you view it as worse it won't go away that quickly and you might end up back at square one again. Is it the pains that bring about your anxiety? Sounds like it is. You get this pain. You begin to focus on it. You start to panic. Distraction would be the key word here. Take your mind off of yourself. Focus on something else instead. Don't even think about your breathing. It will happen as it is meant to the less you focus on it. So just try and relax and find something to do.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline helplessdancer

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 12:19:08 PM »
Yeah, I guess I had been sort of building up stress all week. Working on a job application for a job I really want was probably the tipping point because I spent the whole day Sunday working on it and it just wasn't going well. Fortunately, I feel better for the most part today, except that my chest is sore but I guess that is to be expected. I'm going to see a movie tonight, so hopefully that will keep me distracted. I think I should be ok now, thanks for helping. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline terri

• love life
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 09:37:58 PM »
hmmmm, i have actually been told by my therapist and old doctor that it's physically impossible to have a panic attack that lasts all day. i have heard a few members [in chat] state the same thing. i am willing to bet that it is just anxiety? possibly?
Bookmark and Share

Offline helplessdancer

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 11:48:11 PM »
That's what I was wondering, I didn't really think that could happen. I guess that's just what it felt like? It was very weird for me because I've never had anything like that before.
Bookmark and Share

Offline terri

• love life
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 08:12:18 AM »
That's what I was wondering, I didn't really think that could happen. I guess that's just what it felt like? It was very weird for me because I've never had anything like that before.

i live in florida. and when my husband was deployed, i went through hurricane season alone without him here. i felt like i was dying throughout the day. it would come in waves. but when i talked to my therapist for reassurance about this, she confirmed what my old doctor had told me that they cannot, scientifically, happen all day long. it actually gave me some peace knowing that a panic attack only lasts about a half an hour if that. i think a lot of what we feel afterwards it something residual from the initial attack, if that makes sense.
Bookmark and Share