Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Recurring fear of flying - suggestions?  (Read 260 times)

Offline bluecanary

• ...in the outlet by the light switch
  • Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • A life lived in fear is a life half lived.
    • Poke This Member
Recurring fear of flying - suggestions?
« on: March 03, 2014, 12:59:45 PM »
I've had kind of an off-on fear of flying since I was a kid. When I was younger, it was practically paralyzing. As I got older and my family started to dissipate around the country, flying somewhat regularly (2-3 times per year) became a necessity, and I got used to it. Then a few weeks ago, my fiance and I flew to London from Los Angeles for a 2-week vacation. It was the farthest I'd ever been from home and the longest I'd ever been on an airplane; I'm not sure if that was why I got so nervous, but I was very anxious both on the trip there and the trip back. Now I'm a little concerned that this is going to start to become my norm.

My biggest problem is turbulence. I hate the motion. I don't think that it's necessarily a fear of the plane crashing or anything - everything I've read about turbulence says that it's completely harmless to the plane - but I don't like the feeling of being jerked around. This is why I avoid amusement park rides like the plague. Thing is, there's nothing that requires me to get on amusement park rides in daily life, so I don't feel this is a fear I need to conquer so much. Unfortunately, if I want to see my family, flying is a necessary evil.

Does anyone have any tips for getting past this? I'm willing to try almost anything!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Cold
    Cold
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
Re: Recurring fear of flying - suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 01:12:27 PM »
There are so many people who feel the same way you do, so don't feel alone. Not downplaying your fears but anxiety and control will conflict at times.

You would probably get the same feeling if your buddy was showing off his new Subaru WRX and decides to go 80mph down a snowy road with signs posted of a 35MPH corner coming up.

Turulance, the fact that we've been exposed to plane crashes and what not, technology these days have gotten so far advanced with aviation that more often than not you're only exposed to turbulance far minimal, or at least you should.

It's the fact and feeling of not being in control of your surroundings. you're thousands of feet in aviation and flying very fast, and you have no control of the place what-so-ever.

I agree with you on that.
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline bluecanary

• ...in the outlet by the light switch
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • A life lived in fear is a life half lived.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 01:21:31 PM »
Definitely a good point, Tater - it's mostly about control. I can't control the turbulence, and even the pilot can only do so much about it. They don't always know when it's coming - the only real way they can tell if there's going to be rough air is if another pilot has reported it in the area recently. Even if they do hit rough air, there isn't always a way around it - if they veer too far off-course, they need to get permission from the tower, and that can take time. Sometimes (if there's a large storm system, for instance), they can't always fly around it, and they just have to deal with it.

Our landing in London was pretty rough, because there was a ton of wind, and while I was never in fear that anything bad would happen, I was shaking the whole way down. I'm hoping that I'll just get used to it. I'm debating whether I should go to a doctor (I just recently got health insurance for the first time since I moved to CA, so I haven't gotten myself a doctor here yet) and see if they'll prescribe me something for the anxiety that I can take before the flight to help keep me calm, but I'd rather that be a last resort.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
    Cold
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 02:36:10 PM »
And sometimes that isn't a bad option either.

I know a lot of people who have Xanax or something like that to ease the symptoms of flying that they take only when put in those situations (not all the time).

A lot of it is knowing "it is what it is", and the pilots aren't about to risk their own lives, their pay, their infidelity with their stewardess', and the lives of the 40+ other people on board over turbulence, Hell the plane could fly itself if it wanted to.

You're good to be concerned. (:
Bookmark and Share

Offline clippergoodwill

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 03:31:10 PM »
Best practical advice I have is to sit as center in the plane as you feel comfortable. People sitting near the nose, tail, and windows tend to feel the effects of motion more violently. Also, chew gum during ascent and descent - not only will this help with your ears popping, it's a good little distraction for your nerves.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
    Cold
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 03:47:09 PM »
I spend most of my time in the bathroom flushing toilet paper down the vapor lock'd toilet and smoking cigars.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jennifersanxiety

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 11:00:09 PM »
I just flew to and from atlanta and it was great, many flight attendants help you if someone has a panic attack so don't be afraid.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: