Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Bulbar als worry  (Read 352 times)

Offline Reallyworried93

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Bulbar als worry
« on: March 03, 2014, 07:56:20 AM »
I promised myself I wouldn't let myself obsess over this and post on here but here goes,
This is my first time posting on a site such as this for advise, I am a 20 year old female and recently have been experiencing some symptoms that I am worried could be bulbar onset als!
For the past couple of months I have been experiencing a sort of lump in throat sensation, I then did the typical google symptoms and it came up with als which led me to keep inspecting my tongue so I now noticed I have tongue twitches when tongue is at rest in mouth like little heartbeats and when my tongue is out it looks like its quivering!
The past week I have been in panic mode about this and have noticed a slight slurring to my speach which everyone else says they can't hear, but I am noticing it just don't quite sound right!
Almost like the words don't seem to be forming properly.
I also have felt some strange sensations in legs and arms but there isn't any actual weakness so I'm not as concerned.

My question is would you be concerned about bulbar onset als with these symptoms?
Would bulbar onset als have a lot more noticeable symptoms?
And how likely is it I could get this?

Sorry about the length of this but I am really concerned! Any advise would be amazing! Really appreciate your time!

(Also have indents on side of tongue)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Scaredofsymptoms

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Bulbar als worry
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 10:18:44 AM »
I am just getting over a bad bout if anxiety and researched bulbar ALS as well.
From what I learned people think they are drunk or had a stroke. They can't pronounce words and their tongue doesn't move. You are way too young for the rarest onset of a rare disease.

If you can move your tongue from side to side and up and down and whistle - I promise you are fine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Reallyworried93

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 06:33:23 AM »
Ever since I googled it I've noticed slurring in my voice, my tongue feels strange, everything feels so odd in my mouth :( I have indents all around my tongue! It's shaking really bad to :( I don't know why I'm suddenly obsessed by this! I've had the strange feeling in my mouth for months and bypassed it as anxiety (doctor said globus), I then convinced myself brain tumour! Now it's bulbar als! I can't stop panicking :( x
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lynxana

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 06:52:25 AM »
Scaredofsymptoms is probably right.  Although the feeling in your tongue can be from a number of things and one of those things is anxiety, or you could have damaged the nerves somehow.  A lot of people have indents on their tongues, I have them and as you get older more will come if you're a smoker they get them worse. 

If those symptoms developed around the time you searched the internet for answers (which you should never do cause it aids in your anxiety and paranoia) you may do what I do.  My brain has the ability to trick me into having symptoms related to whatever problem I'm having and as soon as I'm told it's nothing it goes away.  I once thought I had west nile and I developed EVERY symptom of course as soon as the guys at the hospital said it was nothing later that night it all cleared up. 

If you're concerned you should see your doctor.  You won't be satisfied until you do. 
Bookmark and Share
I don't have issues...! I have the WHOLE subscription!

Offline Reallyworried93

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 07:04:55 AM »
Your right I know I've made it worse by using the internet, strange how I've gone from throat cancer/ brain tumour to als within a space of 3 months! I think the slurring is in my head as No one else can notice it!
The reasonable part of me is saying its so rare why would I have it when only 2 in a million people get juveline als, and bulbar onset juvenile als is even rarer than that! However the anxiety side is saying these symptoms are real and definitely couldn't be anything other than als.
I think I will make an appointment with my doctor whose also an ent doctor and try to calm these fears ( he helped me get over the 'lymphoma' I was convinced I definitely had) x
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 22
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 10:40:24 AM »
You are talking about a very rare subset of a rare disease in an ultra rare age.  We are talking probably 1-3,000,000 type of odds.  Your history of worry, and the obsessive compulsive nature of your thinking is creating symptoms.  Trust me, I know really well.  I am currently battling a worry over my speech as well.  Tongue feels funny, indentations of the tongue, certain sounds don't sound right especially S's, Th, and CH....dry mouth, problems swallowing etc. 

These are pretty classic anxiety symptoms of speech.  I have been doing things like this for as long as you have been alive.  Worry, then my mind creates symptoms real and imagined.  I would advise you to seek out an experienced counselor in health anxiety.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266