Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Eating Lorazepam like tic tacs  (Read 572 times)

Offline Shurl102

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Eating Lorazepam like tic tacs
« on: March 03, 2014, 05:42:20 AM »
Good morning everyone!  I'm new here.  Hoping to get some feedback.
I take .5mg twice daily.  I get major anxiety when I get overwhelmed, which is often and when I'm overly tired, which is often.  The anxiety brings me way down and I just want to sleep.  I've been trying to combat the anxiety with Lorazepam, but I find it's not working enough.  I'm taking waay more than prescribed, and then I really want to sleep.  I'm wondering if Klonopin would be a better fit.  Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help!   :fragend005:

Other meds:
Lexapro 40mg
Wellbutrin 300mg
Saphris 2.5(weaning off due to weight gain)
Lamictal 300mg
Lorazepam .5 twice per day

Dx: GAD, ADD, Major Depression

Bookmark and Share
Shurl

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: Eating Lorazepam like tic tacs
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 06:16:44 AM »
Klonopin is a slower acting form of medication. It hasn't got that instant kick in effect. But you can't go on popping pills like there is no tomorrow. I was once on that same road with Xanax. I was hooked. Did manage to get them come the end of the day. But I could take up to 5 MG a day. Far from what I was told to take. The more you take the more you will need to take. As your body will get used to the amounts you are popping now. You will have to take that bit more to feel anything at all. Which is why it is a bad idea to keep on popping them like you are. Have a word with your doctor. Ask what he thinks would be better for you. It may take time to come off the one lot and switch over to the newer lot. It will be better for you come the end of the day. Trust me on that one. I was never happier as when I got off Xanax. Glad to see the back of them because I knew I was hooked. Not the fault of the medication. My own fault for using them the wrong way.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Jones

• 1Peter 2:24
  • Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 02:25:18 PM »
I'm currently taking klonopin and which I had never started. I'm no doctor but your list of drugs seems like an awful lot to be taking!! I'm also on Lexapro (25 mgs) and my p doc wants me to increase it. My feeling is less is more. I want to try and get by with as few drugs as I possibly have to take. I know I don't like feeling anxious, but sometimes I wonder if too much of a good thing (drugs) can bring on more anxiety. In the long run, you have to make the call, but as the post above says, it's never good to take MORE than what you are prescribed. My suggestion is, talk to your doctor. If you are being given these drugs by a gp, I definitely would find a psychiatrist. If you already are, get a second opinion. It can't hurt.
Bookmark and Share
He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed.

Online insights

• Rec's: 98
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 04:14:11 PM »
I'm wondering if Klonopin would be a better fit.  Any thoughts?

It might be, but IMHO, your whole med regime is seriously flawed and needs to be reviewed.

Other meds:
Lexapro 40mg

The maximum recommended Lexapro dose is 20mg, revised down a couple of years ago from 30mg because of concerns about the its affects on the electrical system of the heart.

Wellbutrin 300mg

Not the ideal antidepressant to be taking if you have anxiety because it can be very stimulating.

Saphris 2.5(weaning off due to weight gain)
Lamictal 300mg

I assume these are both for anxiety. You seem to be taking a lot of different meds with anti anxiety properties and getting nowhere if you're needing to pop lorazepam "like tic-tacs." I urge you to get a second opinion asap. I do not believe you need to be taking all these meds.

What antidepressants have you taken in the past, and what were the results?

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 04:19:37 PM »
In my humble opinion,

Clonazepam (Klonopin) is very long lasting but the onset is long (even under the tongue) and the relief is subtle....

I don't particularly like it, it'll be a little more sedating and a lot easier to come off of it. But it would last you throughout the day. I take like .25mg in the morning .25mg at noon and .5mg afternoon/night..

It helps sometimes and other times it doesn't... depends on your view. If you think it's working it won't.. .and if you take it and forget about it it works great.
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline Shurl102

Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 05:06:36 AM »
Thanks for all the advice.

Lexapro was prescribed for anxiety, but don't think its working like it should even before Wellbutrin)
Wellbutrin I recently asked for knowing it was stimulating, but has helped a little with depression.  I had taken it before & it helped for ADD.  Stimulants cause way too much anxiety.
Saphris pulled me of deep depression last summer, but I gained 20 pounds from it and am not willing to gain any more.
Lamictal is supposed to stabilze my mood, but I've always wondered if it does anything.
Lorazepam-well .5mg does'nt feel like enough

I know my whole regime needs an overhaul, I just don't know what to do.  I am looking into getting a second opinion.  A couple reputable docs I've looked into are not taking new patients.  Will continue looking.  I do see my current pdoc on the 11th.

I have had insomnia since starting Saphris last summer.  It hasn't really bothered me until I started tapering off Saphris.  Now I feel really tired during the day.   wonder if Kolonpin would help.

I also wonder if Prisiq would be a better fit & lose the lexapro & Wellbutrin.  My current pdoc thinks I won't do well w/o an antipsychotic like Saphris.  All of them are known for significant weight gain.  2 months ago she didn't want me on an antipsychotic for much lonģer.  *****#&%????  :dazed:

All your opinions are welcome.

Shurl
Bookmark and Share
Shurl

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 06:51:13 AM »
I have had insomnia since starting Saphris last summer.  It hasn't really bothered me until I started tapering off Saphris.  Now I feel really tired during the day.   wonder if Kolonpin would help.

Benzodiazepines are not good sleeping pills as tolerance to their sedation build quickly, typically within a couple of weeks. Small doses of trazodone (Desyrel) would be a better option, but you could also try Benadryl. It might be sedating enough.

I also wonder if Prisiq would be a better fit & lose the lexapro & Wellbutrin.

If you believe Lexapro wasn't cutting it even before you began taking Wellbutrin then it should go, especially given the high dose. Whether Pristiq is the right replacement can only be determined by taking it. The problem is that it may be problematic with Wellbutrin as both inhibit norepinephrin, aka noradrenaline, reuptake, though Pristiq is only a moderate inhibitor. This doesn't necessarily rule it out, but there will need to be some careful dose juggling and I wonder if your pdoc is up to it.

Also give some thought to it's parent compound venlafaxine (Effexor). I normally advise against using it for anxiety as while it can be very effective it doesn't really have any advantages over the SSRIs at typical anxiety doses and is the hardest antidepressant to quit. However, it is one of the two best antidepressants for severe depression (Remeron (mirtazapine) is the other) which is something you appear to need.

I am looking into getting a second opinion.  A couple reputable docs I've looked into are not taking new patients.  Will continue looking.

I urge you to continue doing so as I don't think your current drug regime is doing you any favours.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Shurl102

Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 04:58:32 AM »
What antidepressants have you taken in the past, and what were the results?

Ian
[/quote]

I have tried several antidepressants amongst other meds-
Serozone-extreme tiredness
Cymbalta-extreme tiredness
Prozac- depression didn't do much
Paxil-brain zaps
Viibryd for deep depression-made me suicidal
Effexor-didn't do much
Latuda-can't remember
Abillify- for deep depression stopped due to weight gain
Trazodone for insomnia- worked, but made me rreally groggy next day
Temazepam for insomnia-worked good
Xanax-many years ago for anxiety-worked well
Buspar-seemed to stop working
Klonopin-20+yrs ago-helped short term
Zoloft-20+ years ago-can't remember outcome
Vyvanse for ADD-made mee manic
Ritalin-20+ yrs ago-anxiety
Adderall-anxiety
Straterra for. ADD-depressed
Bookmark and Share
Shurl

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 06:17:09 AM »
Effexor-didn't do much

This is a surprise. Effexor is usually capable of pulling people back from the brink of the deepest, darkest, bordering on catatonic depression. If it doesn't work then the only thing that might is ECT.  Perhaps the dose was insufficient as to get any norepinephrine reuptake it needs to be at least 150mg/day and some require at least 225mg.

Trazodone for insomnia- worked, but made me rreally groggy next day

Try a lower dose, <=50mg, and take it an hour earlier.

You've taken a lot of different antidepressants, but no tricyclics (TCAs) or MAOIs. The MAOIs I can understand, the dietary restrictions make them hard to live with, but TCAs are very effective for both anxiety and depression and usually have fewer of the startup and stopping side-effects of the SSRIs and SNRIs, albeit at the expense of more ongoing nuisance side-effects such as dry-mouth and constipation, so it is surprising that none have been tried. Imipramine (Tofranil) would be a good choice if you want to continue with Wellbutrin, or maybe amitriptyline (Elavil, Endep) and clomipramine (Anafranil).

Ian

Bookmark and Share

Offline Shurl102

Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 04:34:21 AM »
Ok so I seen the pdoc yesterday (she's an ARNP) recognises how messed up my meds are & they aren't doing me any favors.  Here's the plan:

Pristiq 25mg for 3- 5 days then up to 50mg( all while reducing the Lexapro)
Seroquel 25 to 50mg at bed. &  1/2 to 1 tab 3 times per day
Klonopin .5g 3x per day( replacing lorazepam)
Buspar 10mg 3 times daily
Wellbutrin 300mg

I go back in 2 wks.   If not better, she'll hve me get a second opinion from one of the pdocs in her cliinic or go to the hospital.

I hope this works, but I hope I'm not too groggy to function at work. That's a big fear.
Bookmark and Share
Shurl

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 07:25:00 AM »
I go back in 2 wks.   If not better, she'll hve me get a second opinion from one of the pdocs in her cliinic or go to the hospital.

IMHO, you're not much better off than before. I'd be demanding to see a psychiatrist.

The Lexapro+Pristiq+Buspar+Seroquel combination is problematic, IMHO. And I don't see the value of the SNRI Pristiq, a weak norepinephrine/noradrenaline (NE) reuptake inhibitor, when you're already taking a strong dose of Wellbutrin a potent NE reuptake inhibitor.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Tags: