Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: So....who's giving up googling for lent???  (Read 158 times)

Offline bpadilla49

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
So....who's giving up googling for lent???
« on: March 02, 2014, 11:58:01 PM »
Ok, so this upcoming Wednesday is ash Wednesday - aka when lent begins.

I'm not even catholic, but I do have a personal relationship with Jesus and I attend an Assemblies of God church...but lent is fun anyway, right?

So I'll admit - I've never given up googling. And usually, when I google, I'm more REASSURED rather then panicky. However, as we all know, when we receive reassurance from whatever source - be it google, a doctor, a relative, a friend, or a test result - it's only short lived until the next symptom sends us into a frenzy.

However, in my recurrent HA journey, I believe that God is teaching me to trust in Him more, and rely less on my own understanding. In all of my ways to acknowledge him, and rely on HIM for my reassurance and peace.

I would say that I'm a control freak. Yep, I admit it. I like things to go my way and I have a hard time trusting anything. Especially God. This is not okay, not for me anyway. So for the next 6 weeks, I'm surly going to do my best not to google, see the doctor (minus routine appointments I already have scheduled) or have a medical test (unless the DOCTOR mentions it and really feels the need to have it done).

Of course as I'm writing this, some would call it Murphy's law, others, like myself, would call it the temptation from the enemy - will surly ensue. I may need your help on this journey.

Wish me luck! I'm sure I'll be a regular on here!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline anagargano

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: So....who's giving up googling for lent???
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 12:15:45 AM »
good luck! Im giving up googling for myself .... i wld encourage people to do things for themselves not for anyone else be they real or imaginary
Bookmark and Share

Online Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 09:23:13 AM »
I'm giving up ALL kinds of sweets and snacks (cake, candy, pies, chips, etc) because I eat REALLY, REALLY bad!  (Heaven forbid a piece of fruit pass my lips!)  This way if hungry for dessert or a snack I will eat a banana or a yogurt or something) For a HA person you'd think I'd be smarter!   Giving up Googling is a really good idea!  But I don't know if I could stick to that. I have for a few weeks just on my own, but if I go and make a "God promise" I'll be locked into it and I don't know if I'll go nuts or not!  LOL.
Bookmark and Share

Offline karachondria

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Obsessed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 10:37:21 AM »
I want to give up googling but I've been asleep all day because I am so ill I don't even know what's happening I've never had flu like symptoms this bad before so I doubt I'll be able to give it up its sort of a daily routine even if I just type in "my meningitis story" or "teen cancer stories" because I find them interesting. Urgh
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brooke2288

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 11:15:43 AM »
I am Catholic and I really like this idea and think I will do it! I actually haven't googled for a couple weeks now so lent is a good incentive to continue on the right path. When my lymphoma fears kick in, I will come here if need be but I will NOT google!  :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline ColdHands

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 01:30:35 PM »
I think giving things over to God is always a good idea, and has helped me a great deal through my struggles.  REAL and IMAGINED. 

By the way, don't let anyone who isn't a believer discourage you into thinking that this wouldn't help you. 

I'm not Catholic either, but many denominations believe in some sort of Lenten observance, whether it be just being aware of what this is leading up too, or giving something up.  I like to do a visual where I put the thing I am worrying about (usually a body part-yeah, I know gross) into a basket or box or something and physically hand it to God.  I may have to do it a few times, but when it sticks the relief is great.

Hope it works out for you.
Bookmark and Share
"There is just one more thing that bothers me."  Columbo

Offline bpadilla49

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 02:42:48 PM »
Coldhands:

That's a great idea. When I'm worshipping, I often visit the cross, so maybe I'll do my best to give my ANXIETY in a box and hand it over to God. Wouldn't THAT be great! ...but yeah, maybe I'll try giving him whatever body part and see if it brings relief. Thank you for the tip!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: