Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: When to trust the doctors  (Read 552 times)

Offline emily1994

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
When to trust the doctors
« on: March 02, 2014, 10:37:51 AM »
So, my health anxiety has definitely calmed down a bit... I'm worrying, but not actively worrying, if that makes sense. Anyway, last week I went back to the neurologist for a follow up appointment, and told him about all my symptoms (including the palinopsia- trails off of moving objects and after images), and he wasn't concerned.

He said neurologically he can't find anything wrong with me, and basically said bye until anything comes up. He reviewed the MRI I had done in November, and said it looks as normal as normal gets, and if that was his MRI he would be happy.

My problem is this: how am I supposed to trust his judgement when palinopsia is a symptom of a brain tumor? He said it's really not, and things like double vision and loss of vision are. Can I really rely on this MRI that was taken months ago, without contrast?

I have an ENT follow up appointment on Tuesday for my tinnitus, which is STILL there, so hopefully I can convince him to send me for another MRI. It's just hard too say, "Ok, I don't have a brain tumor" when palinopsia is linked to them... It makes me not trust the neurologist.
Bookmark and Share

Offline emily1994

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: When to trust the doctors
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 01:50:22 PM »
Yes, the tinnitus started randomly though. I never had it before. Sometimes it gets randomly louder, too.

As for the trails, is it definitely not normal... In the morning I see major trails coming off of my hand or arm if I move it. I also get after images; I will look at something and look away and still see a faint image of it. They get worse randomly, especially in the morning. Certainly not normal!  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Scaredofsymptoms

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 10:27:28 AM »
Have you seen an eye doctor?
Bookmark and Share

Offline emily1994

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 11:11:00 AM »
Yes many times
Bookmark and Share

Offline Allytiel90

• Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 02:10:33 PM »
I wasn't going to comment, but I honestly don't think you have a brain tumor. I think you are paranoid and over analyzing. If I'm driving down the road and I stare straight ahead a see a black tunnel that moves quickly forward in front of me . Looks like I'm going into hyperspace like they do in Star Wars. Also at night when I lay in bed and look around the room or at the ceiling, dark waves flicker off and on and the whole room will go black if I keep my eyes open long enough. I have floaters, after images, all those things, but I don't focus on them. I had a brain tumor fear about 4 years ago because of a stabbing 2 week ice pick headache. I got an MRI, no tumor. Since then I've not had a tumor fear. I def have weird things I see. I don't have a tumor, and I'm pretty darn sure you don't either.... Btw I also have had ringing in my ears on and off for years... Also nothing. I'm 23.
Bookmark and Share

Offline emily1994

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 02:19:49 PM »
Do you think I can really rely on an MRI without contrast that was taken almost 4 months ago, though? These symptoms are just so strange.  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kimdrah

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 02:30:02 PM »
Part of health anxiety is wanting more reassuring, even if you have another it will only satisfy you temporarily.  Trust your doctor he does this for a living. Good luck.
Bookmark and Share
The Dalai Lama,was most surprised by Man.He sacrifices his health to make money. He sacrafices money for his health,he is so anxious about the future so he does not enjoy the present, he does not live in the present or the future,he thinks he will never die, then he dies having never lived.

Offline Allytiel90

• Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 02:37:08 PM »
My MRI had no contrast either and I trusted my doctor. I think you need to get help for your anxiety. I have a lymphoma fear and I am seeing a therapist and on a light dose of lexapro. It's helping me. I just got a very particular blood test to look for lymphoma and it came back totally normal. I'm still having a hard time accepting I don't have lymphoma because after all, I'm still having my symptoms like sweating at night. So I understand where you are and how hard it is to trust doctor and shake your fears. Now you have to try and get help for your real issue, anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline emily1994

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 02:43:10 PM »
Yeah, it is hard... I am on Prozac, but I'm not quite sure it's working. I have another psychiatrist appointment this week, so hopefully I can get this sorted out. I just wish these symptoms would go away  :fragend005:
Bookmark and Share

Offline clippergoodwill

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 03:27:57 PM »
Little known secret - your doctor isn't the only one to view your MRI. Other doctors, the imaging technicians, and nurses see it as well. If you had anything wrong, trust me it would've been caught. I have said it in numerous posts but there's truth and comfort to it - when it doubt, ask a nurse. They tend to know problems right off the bat, and have real world advice that can help you far better. It was good nurses that convinced me of my anxiety and it's power to trick the mind into thinking of tumors, strokes, cancer, etc. The dr's did very little to comfort my fears and explain my situation in detail, the nurses were the ones that did.

Bookmark and Share

Offline emily1994

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 03:30:08 PM »
I worry that something grew within that time or was too small to be seen at the time I had the MRI, especially since there was no contrast. I also had the neurologist look at the films, so I really have no choice but to accept this, I guess...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kindra11

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 03:32:06 PM »
Just a thought on the random tinnitus, pay attention and see if you clench your jaw. I started having random tinnitus and it turns out because of anxiety I clench my teeth a lot ( didn't notice it until my dentist told me) which will cause tinnitus and can affect your eyes. Maybe see your dentist and get checked for tmj  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
Broken, But Not Destroyed

Offline clippergoodwill

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 03:34:11 PM »
My understanding of the contrast, is that it's used to track the flow of blood through your arteries in your head during a brain scan. MRI imaging is really good without it, and the contrast dye only highlights where the blood was flowing. Everything else is still very visible without it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline emily1994

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 03:52:54 PM »
The thing that worries me is knowing that the MRI was months ago, so something could have very well been too small to see back in November, and recently grew, causing these visual problems. I even think I had a hallucination last night, if you read my other forum post!

I just can't accept that nothing is wrong.
Bookmark and Share

Offline floridaguy65

• Rec's: 175
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 03:56:25 PM »
Yeah, it is hard... I am on Prozac, but I'm not quite sure it's working. I have another psychiatrist appointment this week, so hopefully I can get this sorted out. I just wish these symptoms would go away  :fragend005:

Hi e:) I'm glad you're getting some professional help. Most of us need it (or have needed it) at one point or another in our 'anxiety journey'. From there, it really will be our own self-help that keeps us moving down our healing path longer-term. The things we learn in counseling / therapy must be practiced and embraced by us. We should add our own actions, habits and mindsets into the mix, as well. We must, ultimately, take control over our healing path. No rush, though....don't get too far ahead of ourselves in seeking out some lasting peace. We think, "Damn, I just wanna be ME again...I wanna get better NOW...I HAVE TO get better NOW!" Of course, patience is not really a best buddy for us anxiety peeps....that is for sure:) A healing path is a process...it takes some time to learn what's even going on in our bodies and minds due to our anxiety issues. When struggling us HA folk tend to discount the power of the mind to exacerbate physical manifestations and, even, create them, as well. I am not amazed by anxiety anymore. I understand there is little outside the boundaries of where hyper-anxiety can lead our minds and where it can take our bodies. And, from there, a hyper-amped up brain and nervous system and body systems need time to 'come down' from their manic state, so to speak. Even when we are feeling pretty good one day, we will all of a sudden realize a niggling pain and ache or have an event happen (a skipped heart beat - a flash of light - a buzz zap in the brain, etc) and we are off to the races again wondering what bad is going in our bods. This 'up and down' of being hyper that we go through on pretty much a daily basis (or hourly basis even) when we are struggling continues to build and build until we reach a point where we really feel we just can't take it anymore...we feel there will never be a period in our lives where we aren't heavily affected by anxiety / health anxiety.

I call HA the  'doubting disease' sometimes. We tend to doubt many things, when struggling. We doubt Docs and medical testing. We doubt that our case is just a 'normal anxiety disorder case' and we will be THE ONE who actually does have that awful disease / illness. We doubt our future possibilities of living well as we see ourselves ALWAYS struggling with anxiety. We doubt our ability to know if what we are doing is best for our anxiety treatment. We doubt that we will ever be the major definer of our overall well-being and that anxiety will always call a majority of the shots. Doubt is pervasive. Doubt is powerful. And, this doubt will drive us into fear cycles where we end up repeating bad habits and counterproductive actions.

A very counterproductive action is seeking out repeat testing and repeat med intervention when we have been told by Docs (usually many) that there is nothing physiologically sinister that is the major root cause of our struggles (symptoms - pain -worry).

What's going on in your psych visits, if you don't mind sharing?

What type of self-help do you do....or aware of?

Do you have family support?

What meds are you on? Have taken?

Sorry to fire off so many questions:) Many peeps here can offer up some pretty darn good advice. You've gotten a lot already:)

Peace and Feel Well:)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: