Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Have you ever been woken up by ocd?  (Read 187 times)

Offline Billie

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Have you ever been woken up by ocd?
« on: March 01, 2014, 08:36:07 PM »
This morning I had an awful intrusive thought and my eyes snapped open. My ocd assigned a time to the bad thought and now I'm terrified it might actually happen. I've been so anxious all day.

Has this happened to any of you? I'm shaking inside and it's all I can think about. Feel free to answer here or message me. I could use somebody to talk to.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bluecanary

• ...in the outlet by the light switch
  • Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • A life lived in fear is a life half lived.
    • Poke This Member
Re: Have you ever been woken up by ocd?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 02:47:44 PM »
As far as I can recall, I've never had a compulsive thought that woke me up in the middle of the night, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. Your body is programmed so that it'll snap awake at a perceived threat, and an anxious thought can definitely do that if it scares you badly enough. It's basically your mind and body's way of trying to protect itself.

I don't know the specifics of the thought or what time it was "set" for or if that time has already passed, so it's hard to know what kind of advice to give, but the fact that you recognize it as an intrusive thought and part of the OCD should give you some comfort. I don't know about you, but one of my biggest struggles with the intrusive thoughts is that I feel that, in a way, if I worry over the thought, I've got control of it. But I think that really only serves to feed it. As counterintuitive as it may seem, the best thing you can do for the anxiety is just to accept it. Try not to fight the thought so much as to simply acknowledge it and accept it as part of your anxiety. Just remind yourself that a bad thought is only that - a thought - and it doesn't have any bearing on what will really happen.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: