Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: venlafaxine vs. effexor and muscle weakness/burning  (Read 103 times)

Offline starfish37

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
venlafaxine vs. effexor and muscle weakness/burning
« on: March 01, 2014, 05:51:41 PM »
Hello.  About a decade ago, I was prescribed effexor for generalized anxiety disorder.  While on the medication, I don't recall any side effects - it was only when I would miss a dose that I would feel withdrawl symptoms very quickly (shaking, electric feelings, skin crawling).  At any rate, I stopped taking effexor about 7 years ago, and had no real anxiety issues.  I've been pretty much fine for years, until around December of this year when things came flooding back.  To keep it short, my doctor prescribed me venlafaxine, which is the generic of effexor.  Since being on the drug, my right arm has been getting progressively more and more tired.  My right leg has similar issues, but not as pronounced as my arm.  My left appendages are also "burned out," but nowhere as much as my right.  My upper back and neck muscles are also starting to feel tight.  I'm not sure if it's related to the venlafaxine, or if I actually have something else going on.  My biggest fears are neurological diseases. 

The best way to describe my "weakness" is to say it feels like I just lifted a ton of weights - only all of the time.  I feel stiff and have muscle twitches all over my body, with slight muscle cramping (nothing too horrendous).  I originally went to the doctor because I was feeling tired and a bit dizzy and "out of it" all of the time.  I had some muscle weakness, but nothing this pronounced.  Additionally, since being on venlafaxine (I'm up to 75mg a day, which is what my effexor highest dose was), my head is clear - it's just this muscle fatigue and tense feeling that's driving me nuts. 

Is venlafaxine different from effexor as far as side effects are concerned?  Can muscle weakness/burn occur in just one arm and leg when associated with anxiety? 

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline xxAmyxx

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: venlafaxine vs. effexor and muscle weakness/burning
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 11:25:16 PM »
Our stories are similar. I took Effexor XR 5 years ago for a year. Then felt the need to be back on it this past January. I was prescribed the generic, Venlafaxine. Only this time w/i the first month of being on it my BP shot up to 155/100 and my pulse was always fast. I ended up weaning off as quickly as I could. I think the generic isn't as good as Effexor, I've read online that ppl had a lot more side effects with the generic. When I picked up Venlafixine for the fist time the Pharmacist assured me it was the same - I disagree!! When I asked for the brand name of Effexor, it was going to be almost $400 for a months worth - with insurance!!! Best of luck.
Bookmark and Share

Offline starfish37

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: venlafaxine vs. effexor and muscle weakness/burning
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 12:52:22 PM »
Thank you for the response.  It's weird having a clear head but a burning, tired, arm.  I'm going to see a doctor about weaning off, too.  I hope the arm issue goes away when I do...

Insurance and generics.  Blah.  It's like saying that the Snickers bar copy cat recipe I can make in my kitchen is identical to the original.  That's impossible, even if it's close.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: