Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Skin concerns  (Read 155 times)

Offline anxietydriven

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Skin concerns
« on: March 01, 2014, 12:40:30 AM »
I'm sure this is true for several hypochondriacs, but lately cancer is what has me the most terrified.
I'm constantly wondering if my headaches mean I have a brain tumor, or my occasional nosebleed means I have some form of sinus cancer. But, my most current fear is that I have skin cancer. I am constantly checking my skin, I keep track of my freckles, etc. But I developed this red patch on my chest, and now I'm worried. It's not really red, more like a light pink, and it almost looks like a hickie that is close to fading but I know for fact that isn't what it is. It hasn't increased in size, it doesn't hurt, and hasn't changed color. It looks a little flaky, like it's dry but it doesn't itch.. I tend to break out a lot on my chest, and at first I thought it was just discoloration from that. Because I am that person who constantly picks at my skin and ends up with acne scars. I have just never seen anything like it on my body and it hasn't gone away, and I'm not really sure if I should be worried or not. My mother seems to think it's okay, but she is no medical expert.. Has anyone ever dealt with something similar? I'm just tired of freaking out about this on a daily basis..
Bookmark and Share

Offline rileybug

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Skin concerns
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 01:26:46 AM »
my worries are also cancer-but with heart attacks recently added in for fun.  I worry 24/7 about it.  i've had tests done,but never beleive the results or docs.  I just want my old life back. I always tell myself theres nothing more health related that i can check on-so try and relax-but it doesn't make it happen.  I wish i had the answer.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 05:48:13 AM »
Is it round or oval?  If so, in a week or so look for others around it that are smaller.   That sounds VERY much like pityriasis rosacea.   The first patch usually starts on the chest or back (my daughter had it)  Then other smaller patches appear.  No treatment is necessary for that and it goes away on its own.  They say it can itch and be flaky, but my daughter's never itched.  How old are you?  (if a teen, I can bet that's what it is as this is something that usually young people get (under 20)
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxietydriven

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 12:41:44 AM »
It's a little like an oval, would be the best description. I have had it for over a week and no other spots have occurred, and there seems to be little to no change at this point. Aside from the fact that today it seemed to be much lighter than in recent days. I'm 22, so I'm not sure how common that'd be. A part of me is relieved because there have been no changes and it has been a good length of time since I noticed it. But then again, it worries me that it has yet to go away.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 05:33:20 AM »
I just remembered something, about 3 weeks ago my daughter told me she had one of those things on HER chest and she was saying she thinks it's that pityriasis rosacea again, but no other ones appeared.  I don't know if it's gone, she never mentioned it again (she's 26).  But I certainly wouldn't be concerned over it.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: