Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: scared of ovarian cancer...so nervous :( need to talk to someone!  (Read 343 times)

Offline Madison5151

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I am CONVINCED that I have ovarian cancer...I know this us unlikely because I am 22, have no family history, and am on the pill...but here is why

A year and a half ago I had some bad low back  and abdominal pain and was in and out of the doctor for a few months. I had a few different ultrasounds preformed by a few different doctors. They never found a cyst, but said that they saw some free fluid and thought that something could have ruptured. The final doctor I saw said I had polycystic ovaries, and that the problem was more so with the left ovary than with my right one. She was the only one to mention this...my hormones however, did check out as okay. Eventually the pain subsided and I hadn't been to the doctor since. I am now convinced that something sinister was missed and it has had time to spread this entire time.

Flash forward to last week...I am on Ortho Novum and it has always made my periods extremely light. I had very bad periods before birth control. About 2 months ago I stopped getting my period all together! (Not pregnant) When I missed my third cycle I made a doctors appointment. I have been feeling a general feeling of discomfort where my left ovary is, so I felt like it would be a good idea to get checked out. When I told my doctor about my missing period she told me it was "perfectly normal" for the birth control I'm on, and said not to worry. I insisted that she do an exam and she agreed that my left ovary is enlarged. She told me not to worry and scheduled me for an ultrasound on Monday. She prescribed me zoloft and sent me on my way and told me to calm down. I am SO scared...I cannot stop googling, obsessing, and panicking...Is it possible to have one polycystic ovary? Could that be why I am missing my period? I have had some general stomach discomfort this past month, and am feeling slightly bloated on the left side. I feel like something is just wrong with my body and I just know it...everyone thinks I'm crazy. Any thoughts, opinions, experiences or advice would be wonderful...thank you
Bookmark and Share

Offline xxAmyxx

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: scared of ovarian cancer...so nervous :( need to talk to someone!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 09:20:45 AM »
I was dx'd with PCOS recently (I'm 36). I have a cluster of cysts only on my right ovary. With PCOS it is common to miss your period. (I have the opposite and spot too much, just started the pill last month to help this). I had such bad pain in just the right ovary last week. Try not to obsess and stop googling!! You're going to get an U/S soon enough and know what's happening. If the U/S doesn't give you answers, see if you can get a Pelvic MRI (that's what I had, then you know exactly what's going on in there). Best of luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 10:49:35 AM »
All of that is completely normal with PCOS. 

I have an increased risk of ovarian cancer because of infertility treatments and family history and my Dr says even with that risk is so incredibly low. 

Hang in there.  The zoloft will help calm your anxious thoughts.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 11:02:05 AM »
You would have bleeding if you had ovarian cancer.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: