Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Luvox or Anafranil  (Read 151 times)

Offline bmr86

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Luvox or Anafranil
« on: February 28, 2014, 10:24:55 PM »
Hi all, wondering if those suffering from OCD have been on Luvox or Anafranil. I am not sure about the Luvox, because I have not had much luck with SSRIs, but honestly I don't know much about either medication. Any opinions or experiences? Celexa isn't really doing much for me at 20mg for almost 2 months. Thanks!
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 86
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Luvox or Anafranil
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 11:17:20 PM »
Hi all, wondering if those suffering from OCD have been on Luvox or Anafranil. I am not sure about the Luvox, because I have not had much luck with SSRIs, but honestly I don't know much about either medication. Any opinions or experiences? Celexa isn't really doing much for me at 20mg for almost 2 months. Thanks!

It can take up to 12 weeks for an antidepressant to kick-in so it may be a little premature to pull the plug on Celexa yet. If you've tried at least 2 SSRIs without success then Anafranil would be the better next choice.

OCD is the hardest of the anxiety disorders to treat, often being resistant to both meds and therapy. There is some evidence that supplementing antidepressants with the amino acid N-Acetyl-Cysteine (NAC) boosts their effectiveness against OCD (Lafleur DL, 2006; there is also a large scale international trial currently underway).

However, do not take it if you are at risk of developing lung cancer as it may increase the odds of developing it (Sayin VI, 2014; see also.) Note: NAC (and other antioxidants) doesn't cause lung cancer, it only increases the risk if cancer is already present by enabling cancerous and precancerous cells to 'hide' from the immune system.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline bluerose

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 10:54:20 PM »
I think the maximum dose recommended for Celexa now is 40 mg a day, but check with your doctor.  Sometimes people with OCD need a larger dose of an antidepressant than people who are being treated solely for depression.  And like Ian said it can take up to 12 weeks to see if a med is going to work.
Bookmark and Share
You wanted justice, but there was none, only love.

Offline stevo1111

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 02:50:27 PM »
Clomipramine absolutely changed my life. People will tell you there's no magic pill, but for me, Clomipramine finally let me feel normal. I have been slowly improving over the past ~9 months of taking it. There may be controversy regarding this, but from my experience (I flipped between 8 different antidepressants over 4 years) Clomipramine is the strongest and the only one that actually seemed to begin to work within the first month.

Rather than go through start up again, try to remain at a theraputic dose of your current antidepressant for the full 12 weeks. If you are not responding in a moderate way, it is reasonable to switch.

If SSRIs don't work, there are still SNRIs, TCAs, and MAOIs with the TCAs and MAOIs possibly having a higher likelihood of working, but more possible lasting side effects.
Bookmark and Share