Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Narcolepsy or something else?  (Read 114 times)

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
Narcolepsy or something else?
« on: February 28, 2014, 07:33:49 PM »
(I provided a lot of information, but the REAL question is at the very bottom.)

Hey everyone,

I thought I'd post up and see what you people think.

My father had just turned 50 last september. He earns money through locksmithing and is very involved in the lodge in our town. My mother is 49 and she is an RN, she works doubles... she's on her 4th (1pm-6am) shift in a row, so she scores a LOT of overtime, so my dad's work is pretty light. but this ain't about that.

He used to be a hard worker back when I was younger, but suffered a couple injuries but nothing that causes any mental issues (as far as test results go) I know he had like a micro stroke and his right side of his body is usually in pain but isn't constant, very subtle. The only other health problems he has is that he has a lot of fluid built up in his legs but I've gotten him to the doctor (he hates doctors) and they recommended compression socks, so I provided him with them and he loves it.

He's often pretty active with his dart leagues and stuff... and he's also taking Abilify because I encouraged him to see a psychiatrist had there been any mental issues... I should have brought this one up for him to ask his psychiatrist..

==============

My dad is sometimes a night owl but there are some nights where he'd be in bed by around 10pm, but I've known him to stay up until 2am, but often begins to fall asleep. He likes to read and follow media as well as surfing the web on his favorite news sites, and we rarely watch TV.

Since I've turned 22 my father has gained a substantial amount of weight... he weighs about 364lbs but has maintained that... I'm not sure if he's gaining although he claims he working on losing weight. He's got a belly which might account for back pain.

He is often sore but does not take anything to my knowledge for the pain.

He suffers very bad headaches, but the Abilify was prescribed to sort of help calm some of what's going on in his head.

Heres the issue:

Throughout the day... like he is right now... he's on his computer. but he's fallen asleep. I catch him falling asleep at least 5-6 times... sitting upright in his chair. He dozes off. just falls asleep. sometimes he'll nap but he's still tired in the end. He's been this way for a few months now... He'll have somewhere to go like he said he did, but he's now just asleep. in a chair.

He'll be on his computer reading or what not and the next thing you know he's snoring. I mean I want to say he gets pretty good sleep at night but what's the haps on this? is it a health concen?
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline jayorz128

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Narcolepsy or something else?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 08:02:10 PM »
My Dad falls asleep sitting up watching television all the time. It seem to me the older he gets the easier it is for him to fall asleep. Your Dad is probably comfortable sitting there surfing the web and he just dozes off. It might be nothing but you said he overweight and has to wear compression socks so he may have diabetes it wouldn't hurt to get it checked out. Low blood sugar can cause someone to be tired all the time.
Bookmark and Share

Offline xxAmyxx

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 08:46:19 PM »
Due to his weight, I bet he has sleep apnea. He isn't getting enough restful sleep at night so it is super easy for him to fall asleep during the day. Both of my parents have this and use cpap machines. See if you could get your dad to go for a sleep study. My parents say they feel so much better with their cpap machines. I'm sure my father in law has sleep apnea as well, snores so loudly and will fall asleep on the couch at any time if given the chance during the day.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 08:53:12 PM »
Due to his weight, I bet he has sleep apnea. He isn't getting enough restful sleep at night so it is super easy for him to fall asleep during the day. Both of my parents have this and use cpap machines. See if you could get your dad to go for a sleep study. My parents say they feel so much better with their cpap machines. I'm sure my father in law has sleep apnea as well, snores so loudly and will fall asleep on the couch at any time if given the chance during the day.

Yeah that would be a good idea for the sleep study. He has and most of the time uses a his cpap. what exactly does the cpap do?
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline xxAmyxx

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 09:03:32 PM »
A cpap machine increases air pressure in your throat so that your airway does not collapse when you breathe in. People with sleep apnea stop breathing for short periods of time. Does he use his cpap consistently? If he is still tired he might need to have it adjusted. I hope he is open to getting this investigated, I know how stubborn dads can be! Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: day sleep narcolepsy