Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: anxiety over headaches  (Read 193 times)

Offline sally1959

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
anxiety over headaches
« on: February 28, 2014, 04:03:41 PM »
A headache always triggers anxiety for me, even if it's one I'm familiar with. The weather has been unpredictable...one day I'm not wearing a jacket the next I need a winter coat. I think this is giving me headaches.

I've had a migraine for 12 hours (I think it's a migraine, it's a sharp, dull pain on the right side of my head. Mild but constant, worse when I move around, better when I lay down) and it's making me super anxious and jumping to conclusions...I keep thinking about a doctor diagnosing me with a brain tumor and telling me I'm gonna die in 3 weeks. I'm nauseous as well. I just feel weird all around and have a lot of anxiety. I took an ibuprofen and a shower which seemed to help the migraine, but this anxiety won't go away.

What should I do? Does this type of headache sound familiar to anyone? Is there anything I can do to make my brain stop jumping to this conlcusion today, am I being ridiculous? This happens everytime I get a headache.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sally1959

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: anxiety over headaches
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 04:05:47 PM »
Also I've been having terrible mood swings over the past couple days, does that count as "personality change"? I've been getting unreasonably upset with my girlfriend for no reason. Is that anxiety making me irritable?
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 05:17:51 PM »
I know headaches all too well.  I get a headache of some kind at least three to four days a week.  In fact, I have one right now.

Headaches can be caused by temperature changes, which you mentioned you are experiencing.  They can also come on from a change in hormones.  Another common way is dehydration.  Many times drinking a full glass of water will help.

I'm prone to migraines.  Chocolate used to set them off when I was younger but not so much now, thank goodness. :). When I get a migraine, my vision will get fuzzy in one eye (aura) and that clues me in to immediately take an Excedrin Migraine.  That's the only medicine that will stop the migraine in it's track.  Something about the aspirin/caffeine combination.  If it's a hormonal headache, nothing helps.

I think your just fine.  It may be hormonal since you mentioned being irritable, too.  You may want to try using an ice pack on the back of your neck and just lying down in a quiet room.  Or a warm bath with the lights off or dim.

Try to relax, though.  Getting yourself worked will make the headache worse or prolong it.  I really think your fine.  :sad0126:
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Offline halesy

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 09:31:55 PM »
you sound like me, about a month ago, haha!

I'd never been prone to headaches really, except the occasional tension headache that always went away if i took a painkiller or had some water....
then my anxiety started kicking in, and i went off birth control, and POOF... i was having the weirdest, most painful headaches, like i'd never had before.
I actually ended up getting a CT scan done (whole different story :p) and it came back totally clear. The doctors all did various neurological tests  (reflexes, etc) and i passed with flying colours. They assured me that if i had a brain tumour, i would have failed these tests and would be much, much sicker than just a headache. (Plus the CT scan came back 100% clear which ruled out a tumour in itself :P)

Once i stopped stressing about the headaches, and let my hormones regulate themselves a bit, they've stopped becoming an issue.
Also, if you get ANY relief from an ibuprofen, i doubt it's a tumour as well! from what i've been told about BTs (and i've done a lot of research lately....) the pain gets increasingly worse and worse, is accompanied by other symptoms, and cannot be relieved.

Just rest, and try not to let the anxiety get your mind racing. I know that's hard... but I can assure you these headaches happen to a lot of us!
Bookmark and Share
“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline sally1959

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 12:48:37 PM »
Thanks guys :) I don't know what I'd do without this site!
Bookmark and Share

Offline naynaydevil2

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 01:06:03 PM »
I'm going thru the same thing, the brain tumor fear. I just posted about it. Anyone have a dull achy headache across your forehead for 2 weeks?? It comes and goes thru out the day.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: