Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Having a hard time feeling AT ALL comfortable with dental crowns  (Read 442 times)

Offline bellabee

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Having a hard time feeling AT ALL comfortable with dental crowns
« on: February 27, 2014, 07:09:52 PM »
I got 2 crowns, back in December. One was hanging over so there was a ledge and the other was contoured badly. I was Obsessed about getting food in under around them.  Every time my toung touched them I was sick with anxiety. I flossed like crazy and flossing the ledge caused so much pain.

I ended up going to a prostodontist and having then pulled of, which was very tramutic and paying another 2k to have this done.. just to stop the pain and constant anxiety i had. i figured new good crowns would solve all my problems

Then i kept having horrible constant tingeling in the gums and a ache. on one of my many im not feeling great visits, he blew air on both the teeth and it was determined, since the blowing caused lingering pain on the back tooth i needed a root canal on that tooth.

I couldnt take anymore, being it was now the end of Feb and I have lost 10lbs and havent enjoyed any time with my kids, i was loosing time off work and felt horrible now for months. I decided to pull the tooth... ok the tooth is gone. i though that would for sure solve the problem.

BUT .... the other tooth, with the crown.. its bothering me! the gums are bothering me.. there is an ache .. i cant tell where its coming from. the dentist said my gums look good and that the extraction site is healing good.

So what is the problem?? If i need a root canal or not...The crown gives my anxiety. im nervous to eat on it.. feeling it makes my heart literately palpitate. I dont like the fakeness of it in my mouth. my gums feel tingly all the time. i feel like there is something sitting on my gums all the time all day every day. there is no way i can eat on it.. I am SCARED that i will get food under it or wedged down under the gum..i cant loose another tooth.. i dont know what to do.
I dont think ill every be able to eat a decent meal again...:(

i was wondering if there are other people who felt this way and how they overcame it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline funnybunny

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
Re: Having a hard time feeling AT ALL comfortable with dental crowns
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 08:44:24 PM »
Hi! I work as a dental assistant so maybe I can help ease your nerves about your existing crown.  :happy0151:

First of all, I am sorry you've been having such a rough time! After reading your post, I have a few questions:

Are you still flossing as often/vigorously as you were in the past? Flossing several times a day can actually irritate gum tissue, causing sensitivity and pain. It can cause an entire area to become inflamed and sore. Also, have you had an x-ray done of the area? This would be the most definitive method of determining what (if anything) is wrong with the crowned tooth and the surrounding area, and it's very non-invasive with minimal radiation.

I would recommend brushing your teeth with Sensodyne toothpaste (it helps with tooth sensitivity) and reducing your flossing to once a day. If your crown and gums are still bothering you in a week, go see your dentist. Sometimes in the process of a crown preparation, an impression will shrink or be improperly placed on the tooth, the margins of the crown won't be defined accurately, or a crown won't be seated properly at the final appointment, and all of these things can contribute to issues with fit. It can all be fixed - just go see your dentist!  :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline bellabee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 12:48:23 PM »
Thank you for your response.

I switched from flossing to a water pic.. and since the extraction a week ago i dont floss or waterpic.  I just want to compleatly leave my moth alone.  I also use sensodine toothpaste for the last 3 months.

The temporay crown fits ok, i had it redon by a top noch prostodontist.  he adjusted the bite so low for me that it doesnt even touch, at my request.  I go back like every 3 days or call.  I have had maybe xrays of the area over the last 3 months and the xrays look good.. everything looks good.. but i dont feel good.  constant FEELING in the tooth.. like a rock is sitting in my gums.  I want to pull the cap off all the time.. i have even gotten a towel to do it but didnt.. i know thats a bad idea... I cant say anymore if its pain, or ache or just a sensation.. its been so long and its EVERY DAY ALL DAY.   
Bookmark and Share

Offline bellabee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 08:57:37 PM »
Today i had some cement pulled out from under the crown and the pain discomfort was less but its still there.  my anxiety is still high about it being in there.. i think i may have an allergy to the cement or the crown.. i just cant stand the feeling of it in my mouth! I desperately want to pull it off right now.

it seems lots of people have crowns and are just fine!  I dont understand how they are ok, do they just not think about it? do they not care that food can get under there?  do they not feel it at all?    i feel like ill never be able to eat a normal mean in a normal way again
Bookmark and Share

Offline funnybunny

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 03:04:29 PM »
To clarify - do you still have the temporary crown in your mouth?
Bookmark and Share

Offline bellabee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 05:57:14 PM »
Yes I do still have the temp.  He drilled it low so it doesnt touch the o
Bookmark and Share

Offline bellabee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 06:01:11 PM »
do you thikn that makes a difference?
Also since the extraction that back of this crowned tooth is somewhat exposed

I would do anything to just have this temp taken off and the tooth left alone in peace with no crown on it!
Bookmark and Share

Online Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 06:14:12 PM »
The temp can be a pain in the butt (er... pain in the gums  :goofy:), the permanent you won't even know it's there.  I have about 5 of them, one for over 20 years.  NEVER had a problem.  (yes, the temp ones will hurt sometimes, they'll dig into your gum when biting down).
If you are talking about permanent crowns doing that, my suggestion is find another dentist!  They shouldn't give you  problems like that, you shouldn't even FEEL them.
P.S. I'm going to the dentist Monday too - I'll be thinking of ya  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Online famv5

• Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 09:33:54 PM »
I agree with Sunlover.  I have four crowns all are 20+ years with no issues except for recently when one popped off.  It popped off, though, because there wasn't much tooth structure to grab on to.  The dentist built up my tooth and put a temp crown on yesterday.  The only thing I feel is a little discomfort along the gum and when I touch the tooth.  Once you get a permanent crown on, you shouldn't feel a thing.

Hang in there.
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Offline bellabee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 12:12:46 PM »
well i had the permanant ones before and there were some major problems and i was OBsesSed with flossing and worrying about food getting in there ... but one of the crowns has a clear ledge where it was like overhanging over the gum... which is one of the reasons i pd out of pocket to have it redone.. that tooth is gone now but this other one remains....so maybe this one will be better?

because of the extraction next to it im concerend that the back of the crown will be exposed and not fit right now.. im so freaked out! 

I hope you are all right and it will just be 100% fine!  i nit pick and obsess.. this is why i choose the dentist.. he seems very involved, and pays attention to detail... and doesnt mind catering to my long list of questions :)

Ill let you all know how it goes.. last night i could not sleep due to this constant pressure i feel and this constant feeling that someting is stuck under the gum.. and just this FEELING

Thank you all for the support
Bookmark and Share

Offline bellabee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 12:26:06 PM »
ALSO ... did you all have root canals? maybe that is why you dont feel them.  I did not have a root canal
Bookmark and Share

Online Sunlover

Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 04:01:26 PM »
ALSO ... did you all have root canals? maybe that is why you dont feel them.  I did not have a root canal

I have root canals in 3 or 4 - one is just a crown.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bellabee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 05:28:29 PM »
well i am going to hang on till monday morning.. long 2 days to go.  i cant imagine that just getting the permenant will stop all this pain and discomfort but what else can i do but hope it does.

thanks for the advice
Bookmark and Share

Online Sunlover

Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 08:53:04 AM »
So bellabee, how's that crown working out for ya?   :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline bellabee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 01:54:51 PM »
well its better.. but i still am having panic attacks.. my heart is beating heavy all day.

Its better but feels a little tight and a little deep in my gum...and one corner i can get the floss under a bit more than I feel I should be able to.  So i floss and floss and that causes irritation. 

I want to pull it off all the time but i know I cant.  I had a migraine all week from not sleeping well, i took something to sleep last night and now i am exausted.

I have an appointment on Monday to follow up.   Another long unproductive weekend.

Bookmark and Share

Tags: